IGNORED

VHS Head - Trademark Ribbons of Gold

nah, i can see that.

in fact, i don't see how you can complain about people crying glitch, and not see that.

a similar cut-up method using a very different set of sounds as a basis.

nah, i can see that.

in fact, i don't see how you can complain about people crying glitch, and not see that.

that's like saying that squarepusher sounds like atari teenage riot because they both use samplers and the Amen break.

or saying that DJ Shadow sounds like Liam Howlett's Dirtchamber sessions because they use turntablism and samplers.

while i will concede that they're similar in the sense that they use a cut-up musique concrete technique, they both sound completely different. production quality is vastly different, at least to my ears. for example, VHS Head material has a definitive Skam sound. Jackson and His Computer Band does not.

nah, i can see that.

that's like saying that squarepusher sounds like atari teenage riot because they both use samplers and the Amen break.

or saying that DJ Shadow sounds like Liam Howlett's Dirtchamber sessions because they use turntablism and samplers.

while i will concede that they're similar in the sense that they use a cut-up musique concrete technique, they both sound completely different. production quality is vastly different, at least to my ears. for example, VHS Head material has a definitive Skam sound. Jackson and His Computer Band does not.

although 'Sunset Everett' does sound like JAHCB meets Daft Punk

in a way

but it's a pointless exercise comparing artists using widespread and old techniques with varied palettes of source material

nah, i can see that.

in a way

but it's a pointless exercise comparing artists using widespread and old techniques with varied palettes of source material

nah, i still believe that the Skam sound is all over Sunset Everett.

but totally agree with your second statement, sir

nah, i can see that.

in a way

perhaps, there is something there that marks it as being of teh Skam

maybe its because i've been listening to loads of Quinoline Yellow, North Manc Beds and watching the Meam DVD that the VHS Head album seems to stand apart from these other more regular sounds of the label

nah, i can see that.

in a way

maybe its because i've been listening to loads of Quinoline Yellow, North Manc Beds and watching the Meam DVD that the VHS Head album seems to stand apart from these other more regular sounds of the label

i can understand when people say it reminds them of Boards of Canada, because they have the similar "old-school" Skam sound. notice how as soon as BoC went to Warp (first release only on Warp was In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country) their sound changed, quite drastically too. Music Has The Right To Children still has a Skam signature sound, at least to me it does

nah, i can see that.

in a way

i can understand when people say it reminds them of Boards of Canada, because they have the similar "old-school" Skam sound. notice how as soon as BoC went to Warp (first release only on Warp was In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country) their sound changed, quite drastically too. Music Has The Right To Children still has a Skam signature sound, at least to me it does

the jump from "bedroom" studio experimentation and fun to having to fit the bill for a wider audience and glossier label?

Conumber EP or Feed Me Weird Things to whatever Jenkinson last released on Warp have a huge difference

guess there's the march of time, personal growth, evolution of ideas and practises coupled with parameters of label contracts/obligations and such things that can change an artists output ...

just the ale talking :cisfor:

nah, i can see that.

in a way

the jump from "bedroom" studio experimentation and fun to having to fit the bill for a wider audience and glossier label?

Conumber EP or Feed Me Weird Things to whatever Jenkinson last released on Warp have a huge difference

guess there's the march of time, personal growth, evolution of ideas and practises coupled with parameters of label contracts/obligations and such things that can change an artists output ...

nope, all and any changes in sound are purely down to the label you're on. if i was on Skam, i'd sound like Skam. if i was on Universal Music Group, i'd sound like Universal Music Group.

if i was on 2 Tone Records, i'd sound like 2 Tone Records.

:trashbear:

nah, i can see that.

in a way

nope, all and any changes in sound are purely down to the label you're on. if i was on Skam, i'd sound like Skam. if i was on Universal Music Group, i'd sound like Universal Music Group.

but BoC didn't make anything specifically for Skam though, the music had already been made?

but BoC didn't make anything specifically for Skam though, the music had already been made?

nope. no music existed ever, before Skam Records

i see :emotawesomepm9:

that's ridiculous

i was aiming for preposterous :unsure:

it's a bit like ... when i had to choose from a DVD of Global Goon tracks from the last two years to make up the Earwhig album i chose what i liked best and what kind of fitted the bill for the label ... i think most artists have so much material to play with that its the label folk that have to pin down tracks for a release that is their first for that label, ask them to rework parts etc

sure, once contracts are up and running the new material is made specifically for A Label

also, LOL at people calling this glitch

ive not heard it yet myself, just going by the copious amounts of glitch references in this thread.

I will give the MAH show a go tonight then.

i will say this much - it's definitely marmite

more like Bovril, really. in that most ppl get it, and know it's not glitch-wank.

nah, i can see that.

ma man oscillik has it down.

Jackson's wankey band this is not!

Skam sound

but it's a pointless exercise comparing artists

yeah, don;t compare ppl'ss. everyone is 100% different to the next person/band.

Daft Punk are wicked, but, no....... no Daft Punk. ............... erase from memory.