IGNORED

egoless music

Guest tht tne

Guest tht tne

i found this quote a long time ago on fusionanomaly.net's squarepusher page about port rhombus (fusionanomaly is a lot of fun to browse, though it's not regularly updated):

_Port Rhombus_ 12" on Warp (1996)

sound: one of the few drum and bass tracks that has no hint of ego or abrasiveness. very smooth and together, with plenty of intent. intelligence without pretention.

do you think that's an accurate appraisal of that track, and do you know any other tracks that also lack "ego or abrasiveness?" ones that maybe match your personalities?

vordhosbn is another one that i would call "egoless," yet it still retains richard's idiosyncratic and distinctive touches... i think musical egolessness is just artistical honesty

Guest tht tne

no

you're kind of mopey and upset about girls and so on though right? i wouldn't expect you to recognize egolessness in music in that case... let's let someone healthy reply

If Squarepusher wrote a nice birthday song for someone he didn't like, when he really wanted to do something else, and did it anonymously, I would consider that to be egoless music. Beyond that I don't know that there is such a thing.

no

you're kind of mopey and upset about girls and so on though right? i wouldn't expect you to recognize egolessness in music in that case... let's let someone healthy reply

that made me do a lol

i like you again now, tht tne. btw, wtf does your name mean! ?

Some one give a definite description of ego. My explanation is kinda vague.

yeah it's hard to explain/define exactly what an ego is.

no

you're kind of asperger's aren't you?

let's let someone healthy reply

That's actually an interesting description.. and it fits so well that I'm struggling to think of any other tracks as egoless as Port Rhombus.

no

not to echo thttne.. but in general I think you need a bit more:

if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all

That's actually an interesting description.. and it fits so well that I'm struggling to think of any other tracks as egoless as Port Rhombus.

no

not to echo thttne.. but in general I think you need a bit more:

if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all

tht tne posed the following question

do you think that's an accurate appraisal of that track, and do you know any other tracks that also lack "ego or abrasiveness?"

to which i replied "no".

there is no niceness required, nor was there any mean-ness inferred in my reply.

do you think that's an accurate appraisal of that track, and do you know any other tracks that also lack "ego or abrasiveness?"

to which i replied "no".

there is no niceness required, nor was there any mean-ness inferred in my reply.

i suppose it's just your tone and the way you say things sometimes, oscey. or the way you don't say things, with one word, like a bit of a grumpy arrogant bastard, sort of. cheer up eh! and give out a bit more to your fellow man. :)

are there different levels of ego in music? like do you hear these hefty doses of ego in coltrane's playing on certain tracks, where on tracks by his fellow pharoah sanders you hear none?

i'm not arguing that i'm right that i can hear the "ego" in the notes a person chooses to play or compose, but i do hear something

coltrane and sanders, compared to 99.9999% of musicians have worked to elimate all traces of "ego" or self in their music, in a way. but i think it's a good example because on Karma Sanders took it further than Coltrane ever did. there is a reason Karma seems to exist completely on its own. without a creator, that is.

yada yada.

to which i replied "no".

i suppose it's just your tone and the way you say things sometimes, oscey. or the way you don't say things, with one word, like a bit of a grumpy arrogant bastard, sort of. cheer up eh! and give out a bit more to your fellow man. :)

Ha ha sorry to say it too but Oscillik you do come across as a bit miserable and self indulgent lol. Of course if you're genuinely not like that but merely lacking proper internet communication skills then I take that back. :-)

Archived