IGNORED

Autechre pulled me away from Aphex Twin

o00o

back in the days I was listening to afx all the time. what ever he released I was listening to it nonstop. Then Quaristice was making me listening to Autechre much more and with Oversteps Aphex became even more irrelevant. What about you guys are you still listening to much Aphex currently and what are the releases do you listen to the most?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never listened to Aphex like some fanboy. I try to keep my listening habits as diverse as I can. Why lock yourself into one artist/genre exclusively, seems like a disservice to yourself.

no its not about it. Aphex just appears a bit simple when you are used to Autechre. I do listen to all kind of stuff but I just see the more I am fascinated by Oversteps, Move of Ten etc I care less and less for Analord and Drukqs. I don't know why this is connected but its only happening with these two artists and the rest of my taste stays as diverse as ever

i wouldn't say simple

yeah its not that simple to break it down like that but Autechre feels somehow more intense. hard to really nail it. I have seen the same with my friends all that go into autechre very much are still ok with aphex like I am but become obsessed with Autechre after a while.

I personally play everything. I switch from V Snares, to Arovane, to aphex twin, to acidburp to arpanet to Drexciya to V Snares to Aleksi Perala to Autechre to B-Complex to me then back to Boards of Canada.

I think you get the idea. Sometime a really good new album by any artiest will captivate my mind and steel it for a while but then the others take it back again at some point eventually.

Sometime a really good new album by any artiest will captivate my mind and steel it for a while but then the others take it back again at some point eventually.

yeah that might be the reason.

i have 2 basic "tests" that I use to fully judge music

test #1:

Would you still enjoy this music as much if you were stone cold sober at work?

test #2:

Would Kool Keith rag on this?

Guest Enter a new display name

Why do you analyze your current appreciation for the IDM superstars, o00o? So did you in the Aphex Twin subforum...

Yes I tend to agree with Ae having more interesting music (personally to me) than a lot of AFX material. Though, obviously, the two can't really be compared as RDJ holds a lot of qualities that Booth/Brown can't always pull off. Different qualities in different music out there basically. It's healthy to have variation in musical listening cycles, but admittedly I have been playing a lot of Ae more recently than most other musicians/bands.

AE has much more depth than AFX.

they seem more serious. it's like their music is more "regal".

I think their fundamental philosophies in making music are somewhat different. Autechre seem to be pushing boundaries in a scientific/mathematical way. They constantly break down conventions in music, while referencing and reinventing known conventions such as hiphop etc... They make their music meticulously, producing compositions of insane detail. Always ahead of the game.

Aphex is more diverse in my opinion, with his different alias's and with each album he releases he spreads himself in entirely different directions. I think his way of making music is more haphazard and eclectic... but there's a real richness and rawness to his sounds. Even with the great detail in the Tuss' collection, it still sounds fresh and raw as hell.

its like comparing fucking Mozart to Beethoven.

I hold Aphex more close to heart, but I find Autechre mindfucks me all the time :cisfor:

Autechre are always looking to the next frontier, and it's always at least interesting, but sometimes their musical Mojo is sacrificed in the process, if you got me.

The unreleased stuff RDJ has been playing live is very nuanced, but it has a lot of personality and can be really booty shakin' too. The complexity is always at the service of righteous musical hooks. I do love Ae, though.

test #2:

Would Kool Keith rag on this?

Jam like autechre

Seriously tho, I have this theory about how people cum to teh IDMz

If its via hiphop>triphop>djshadow>boardsofcanada you're gonna gravitate to Ae.

If its via metal>industrial>nin>snares you're gonna gravitate to afx.

Just a theory at the moment tho

I went via qotsa>radiohead>aphex>autechre>BoC>blackdog>plaid>triphop>hiphop and a lot of other things in between.

always hated heavy metal and power rock and not a big fan of NiN either..

It's apples and oranges, really.

Aphex is like time square with his blast of sensory overload, and AE is like taking a train through Detroit's industrial complexes. They're more of a huge, slow moving machine.

Aphex is a bicycle. AE is a tank.

I actually prefer Aphex to Autechre, but if you've heard my music, you'll know I'm more a fan of melody and quick changes.

Cipater is one of my favorite tracks, though.

not to be a prick but your theory is a bit jarlesberg at the minute. of your two paths, the 2nd is closest to my own experience but AFX bored me shitless when Drukqs came out. And i've more or less paid no attention to him since. That said, I bought Drukqs for the 2nd time when I came across it in a second hand record shop a couple of months back and it's not so bad 2nd time around. Not great but at least i can enjoy it to some extent.

Also, also. I don't understand folk who seem to equate AE with emotionless and AFX with something more human. AFX is maybe more catchy overall but I don't think it quite works for me deeper than that.

not to be a prick but your theory is a bit jarlesberg at the minute. of your two paths, the 2nd is closest to my own experience but AFX bored me shitless when Drukqs came out. And i've more or less paid no attention to him since. That said, I bought Drukqs for the 2nd time when I came across it in a second hand record shop a couple of months back and it's not so bad 2nd time around. Not great but at least i can enjoy it to some extent.

Also, also. I don't understand folk who seem to equate AE with emotionless and AFX with something more human. AFX is maybe more catchy overall but I don't think it quite works for me deeper than that.

I don't understand you.

Obviously its a bit naive of people to think that Ae is emotionless, but if you thought Drukqs was boring, what aphex twin do you listen to???

if you thought Drukqs was boring, what aphex twin do you listen to???

This and if you actually stopped after Drukqs you're missing out on same incredible shit.

Archived