I have been thinking about the david is a robot deal, and i reckon the crew know he is a robot from day one. Looking at the timeline thing on the weyland website, it is only later generations that can seamlessly integrate and be indistinguishable... Such as ash in alien.

Edited by feltcher

Will the 3D glasses fit over my hipster glasses?

I thought hipster glasses were 3D glasses, just without the LCD lenses...

Is that a yes or a no?

Guest Gary C

i have been thinking about the david is a robot deal, and i reckon the crew know he is a robot from day one. Looking at the timeline thing on the weyland website, it is only later generations that can seamlessly integrate and be indistinguishable... Such as ash in alien.

i have been thinking about the david is a robot deal, and i reckon the crew know he is a robot from day one. Looking at the timeline thing on the weyland website, it is only later generations that can seamlessly integrate and be indistinguishable... Such as ash in alien.

^ mobile technology, brilliant.

From his queasy smile I'd say that Fassbender is going to ham up this android. Closer to the clunkiness of Data than the smooth humanity of Ash/Bishop, I'd say.

the wiki article says designed to be indistinguishable from humans... then again a) it's wiki and b) designed to be isn't the same as is.

edit: also

In developing his character, Fassbender avoided watching the performances of Ian Holm and Lance Henriksen as androids in Alien and Aliens respectively, but instead watched Scott's 1982 science fiction film Blade Runner.

which is interesting and cool. without getting too spoiler-y

it sounds more like charlize theron's character is the villain here

Edited by kaini

Guest Eggylips

I'm going to get cained as a fry up for this backwards technological shite in the mouth and it better taste fucking good!!!!!!!!!

I don't think I've ever been this excited for a new film.

The wait is torture.

Edited by Gocab

Guest apeterlives

What do you think about this--

George RR Martin:

“…social changes over the last 50 years have made the future something that we no longer want to go visit the way we did when I was a kid. Back in the ‘50’s and ‘60’s when science fiction was perhaps as popular as it has ever been, we really had a lot of belief in the future. I mean, we couldn’t wait to get to the future. The future was going to be much better than anything in the present. We were going to have robots and flying cars and all of these labor saving devices and we were going to take our holidays on the moon and space stations and we were going to go to the stars. When they took polls, everybody gave the answer, ‘yes, yes, my kids are going to have a better life than I do and my grandkids are going to have an even better life than they do and we’re going to go into space and we’re going to go to the stars…

…people take polls now and most people think that their children are not going to have better lives than they do; they think that their children are going to have worse lives. They’re worried about things like ecological problems, global warming, the growing instability of the world with nuclear proliferation, more and more nations having the bomb…. We had the Cold War when I was growing up, we could duck and cover and stuff like that but there was still in some ways more optimism about what the future was like. So I think this is part of the stuff that has affected science fiction. People no longer believe on some level that the future is going to be a good place and they prefer to read about other times and other places that are maybe not so scary as science fiction.”

George RR Martin:

“…social changes over the last 50 years have made the future something that we no longer want to go visit the way we did when I was a kid. Back in the ‘50’s and ‘60’s when science fiction was perhaps as popular as it has ever been, we really had a lot of belief in the future. I mean, we couldn’t wait to get to the future. The future was going to be much better than anything in the present. We were going to have robots and flying cars and all of these labor saving devices and we were going to take our holidays on the moon and space stations and we were going to go to the stars. When they took polls, everybody gave the answer, ‘yes, yes, my kids are going to have a better life than I do and my grandkids are going to have an even better life than they do and we’re going to go into space and we’re going to go to the stars…

…people take polls now and most people think that their children are not going to have better lives than they do; they think that their children are going to have worse lives. They’re worried about things like ecological problems, global warming, the growing instability of the world with nuclear proliferation, more and more nations having the bomb…. We had the Cold War when I was growing up, we could duck and cover and stuff like that but there was still in some ways more optimism about what the future was like. So I think this is part of the stuff that has affected science fiction. People no longer believe on some level that the future is going to be a good place and they prefer to read about other times and other places that are maybe not so scary as science fiction.”

The man has a point, although dystopian science fiction isn't exactly something that only recently have come up. But there is indeed a general pessimism and lack of belief in the future being better. It's quite an interesting phenomenon, where did this disenchantment of the future come from even if we get introduced to more and more technological advancements that could have been barely thought of 50 years ago. Is it the lack of jet packs, flying cars and vacations to the moon that has toned down our optimism for the future or is it part of a larger problem, such as the current economic system showing its flaws and unsustainability in more apparently than it perhaps used to. I do like to read SF about post-scarcity and anarchistic societies like Banks Culture novels and dream of a future where that would be possible.

the wiki article says designed to be indistinguishable from humans... then again a) it's wiki and b) designed to be isn't the same as is.

edit: also

In developing his character, Fassbender avoided watching the performances of Ian Holm and Lance Henriksen as androids in Alien and Aliens respectively, but instead watched Scott's 1982 science fiction film Blade Runner.

which is interesting and cool. without getting too spoiler-y

it sounds more like charlize theron's character is the villain here

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/michael-fassbender-talks-prometheus-android-role/263219

I think Fassbender will be the unsung hero as he cant get infected but has the best ability to fight kinda like data.

Also didnt Cain say in the first Alien that the ship they had found was 1000's of years old? I think this will be the only connection to the first film as theres no mention of LV426?

Is that a yes or a no?

Well, a true hipster would watch it in 3D without the glasses...

George RR Martin:

The man has a point, although dystopian science fiction isn't exactly something that only recently have come up. But there is indeed a general pessimism and lack of belief in the future being better. It's quite an interesting phenomenon, where did this disenchantment of the future come from even if we get introduced to more and more technological advancements that could have been barely thought of 50 years ago. Is it the lack of jet packs, flying cars and vacations to the moon that has toned down our optimism for the future or is it part of a larger problem, such as the current economic system showing its flaws and unsustainability in more apparently than it perhaps used to. I do like to read SF about post-scarcity and anarchistic societies like Banks Culture novels and dream of a future where that would be possible.

I think this disenchantment comes from this (my) generation's realization that all the promises of the future (flying cars, etc.) by the turn of the century are in reality probably decades, if not a whole generation off, if ever. I personally think my kids will be living (and already are to some extent) in an amazing time, where just like we saw things like typewriters and phyiscal meda for music become redundant, they'll see things now become redundant as well, along with ideas we can't even fathom now.

The reality is a lot of science fiction is becoming reality - the digital pads from Star Trek in the 1960s are here and almost becoming ubiquitous in society, and the whole Dick Tracy video watches are also a reality, if not exactly a practical application of the idea.

Is that a yes or a no?

Well, a true hipster would watch it in 3D without the glasses...

no a true hipster would be wearing these

3d-glasses-001.jpg

Guest Gary C

Problem solved. Dan can only maintain his hipster-cred whilst still watching a major action-movie in 3D by sticking colourful sweet wrappers to his chunky non-prescription glasses.

004.jpg

I think this disenchantment comes from this (my) generation's realization that all the promises of the future (flying cars, etc.) by the turn of the century are in reality probably decades, if not a whole generation off, if ever.

250px-2000AD_First_Edition.png