i was just laughing to myself at how attractive the entire cast for Prometheus is, not an ugly or normal looking person in sight.

Why do movies have to do this these days?

minus the space trucker thing, the original Alien had some realistic looking people in it who didn't look like chiseled face movie stars or models. im just kind of sick of this stupid bullshit, does the opposite of 'suck' me into a movie really

thats pretty easy to answer. Alien 1 was something new that even so it was made by a legendary director was not big before it hit the movies while prometheus is a too big to fail blockbuster.

Guest fondles the cat

Giger is actually involved in this movie, but rumor is he doesnt get on airplanes so he worked remotely on the movie with ridley scott

i need confirmation on this...Giger worked with Ridley on Prometheus?

I'm a huge fan of Giger's work and a lot of Alien's visuals are his credit.

the official line is he only worked on a few murals. the jockey has been designed by nevil page, the monsters by WETA and the derelict by gutalin

Guest Donkey Rhubarb

I suppose the first Alien crew were just regular space truckers who would normally be found drinking bottled beer in ye local where the Prometheus crew are the worlds leading scientists and explorers who shop at Marks & Spencer and hang out in Nero

either way all this PG13 bollocks gives me that AVP feeling and that did looked promising from the trailer yet...sigh :cry:

Giger is actually involved in this movie, but rumor is he doesnt get on airplanes so he worked remotely on the movie with ridley scott

i need confirmation on this...Giger worked with Ridley on Prometheus?

I'm a huge fan of Giger's work and a lot of Alien's visuals are his credit.

the official line is he only worked on a few murals. the jockey has been designed by nevil page, the monsters by WETA and the derelict by gutalin

I remember reading about the creative process behind it. Ridley was inspired by Giger's work and he invited him over to work on the concepts. Much of his work was scraped though (the pyramid was completely cut from the film for instance), but the alien monster was originally derived from his sculptures, and Giger himself drew the alien. Giger also worked on the facehugger, but later the crew decided to use similar designs from someone else (as well as other props in the film). It was the problem of animating the alien monster which later led the crew to design a suit that was worn by a very skinny guy, and that was basically Brian Johnston's field. Giger himself was reluctant at the beginning of the process, and Ridley insisted to credit Giger for the idea.

The next film even had some copyright issues in that regard.

The original chestburster design Giger came up with was apparently unintentionally hilarious, and he later referred to it as a "degenerate plucked turkey."

368.jpg

Edited by baph

Purposefully not watching the new trailer if its full of spoilers. I really hate this culture of giving away so much before you see a movie, it seems a very prevalent practice in movies (especially hollywood) these days. I know people like to know a bit about a movie before they fork out to see it, and I know generally that hollywood movie plots don't like to test audiences too much, but come on...

....its getting pretty extreme know.

Its almost like the "alien in 30 seconds" youtube movies that seem popular. Full plot and storyline laid out ready to go!

is there anyway I can hide this thread, so I dont have to see it? I am trying to avoid it.

anyone who responds to this please quote this so I know, I am not reading any other posts.

Apparently I'm seeing this at an IMAX, so the disappointment can stretch out in front of my eyes like the horizon.

Guest Gary C

Apparently I'm seeing this at an IMAX, so the disappointment can stretch out in front of my eyes like the horizon.

Thanks for the invite.

I'm having to go with Chloe's mormon friend because no-one else wants to see it... :sad:

Thanks for the invite.

I'm having to go with Chloe's mormon friend because no-one else wants to see it... :sad:

Have you pirated Avengers United or whatever it's called yet? Maybe we can watch that together

Guest Gary C

Thanks for the invite.

Have you pirated Avengers United or whatever it's called yet? Maybe we can watch that together

I have not. Not all that bothered. It'll probably take a month to find a decent quality.

Guest boo

Purposefully not watching the new trailer if its full of spoilers. I really hate this culture of giving away so much before you see a movie, it seems a very prevalent practice in movies (especially hollywood) these days. I know people like to know a bit about a movie before they fork out to see it, and I know generally that hollywood movie plots don't like to test audiences too much, but come on...

Its almost like the "alien in 30 seconds" youtube movies that seem popular. Full plot and storyline laid out ready to go!

i dunno. there used to be 4 minute trailers, with a voice-over explaining the plot and telling you watch it for the great ending (only important bit missing from trailer)

i guess really mysterious trailers don't always work, as far as getting an audience in.. so they've stopped doing it.

THIS SUMMER...

KEVIN SPACEY IS....

KEYSER SOZÉ...

THE USUAL SUSPECTS

Guest Gary C

THIS SUMMER...

KEVIN SPACEY IS....

KEYSER SOZÉ...

THE USUAL SUSPECTS

Whhhaaaattt?

Guest Shit Attack

i was just laughing to myself at how attractive the entire cast for Prometheus is, not an ugly or normal looking person in sight.

Why do movies have to do this these days?

minus the space trucker thing, the original Alien had some realistic looking people in it who didn't look like chiseled face movie stars or models. im just kind of sick of this stupid bullshit, does the opposite of 'suck' me into a movie really

You are right. True film died when people ceased to have the balls to put Harry Dean Stanton in their movies:

40472_pro.jpg

AVENGE ME! AAAVVVEEENNGGGEEE MMMEEEE!

*highfive*

2 people in the thread get it, and no i was not referring to Weaver, Skerrit, John Hurt or Ian Holm

anybody who's actually seen alien and knows what the eff im tlaking about. See ridley scott back then at least knew a cast of totally attractive statue-esque people would be unrealistic so he balanced it out a little bit

edit: re Harry, dude's single line in the Straight story made me cry. I love him (take that Obel!)

harry dean stanton has a cameo in the avengers movie,wasnt that good tho so true film probably is still dead.

also prometheus seems to have somehow managed to jump the shark even tho it hasnt even been released yet ! will still go watch it tho

i dunno. there used to be 4 minute trailers, with a voice-over explaining the plot and telling you watch it for the great ending (only important bit missing from trailer)

i guess really mysterious trailers don't always work, as far as getting an audience in.. so they've stopped doing it.

You know what really fucks me off with modern trailers these days? Those quick "fade to black" cuts - a few are OK, but FFS, don't have every scene in the trailer do it!

The original chestburster design Giger came up with was apparently unintentionally hilarious, and he later referred to it as a "degenerate plucked turkey."

368.jpg

looks very francis bacon inspired, specifically triptych for the base of the crucifixion

368.jpg

Should probably go in the strange foods thread. (plucked penis chicken?)

You know what really fucks me off with modern trailers these days? Those quick "fade to black" cuts - a few are OK, but FFS, don't have every scene in the trailer do it!

I noticed that too. Its almost in every trailer when they want it to be intense / spooky

The repeating farty square-wave sounds are getting annoying too.

off the top of my head, i remember them in this one, shutter island, inception and the mass effect 3 trailer.

who started this trend and why has hollywood latched onto it so damn hard?

Seems like the Inception trailer kind of kicked it off on a massive scale, though obviously it was most likely used before that. The Wrath of the Titans was another one. Pretty much all movie trailers on TV that I see that are action, sci fi, or horror seem to use it now to some degree.