Those three in the picture are pretty people. I don't like or want pretty people in my alien films, thank you.

I agree. These people look like they spend more time grooming than exploring outer space, or anything else for that matter.

The last time I remember feeling this way about a trailer was for The Matrix.

So even if I'm disappointed with the film, at least I can take comfort in the fact that they've made one of the greatest trailers ever.

sorry, the best trailer made is still the original Alien trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEVY_lonKf4

Seconded. That's even better than the entire movie itself!

*boner*

Impressed by the old school sci-fi visuals, specially with the vehicles design which are very Sid Mead (lol as if you know who Sid Mead is). Dark scenes are dark, no orangy HDR garbage with teal shadows, this might actually be good, here's hoping.

erm

Ope7E.jpg

I don't think it's that bad (compare the trailer to Dark Knight for instance), usually the dark scenes now-a-days have that green look (Die Hard 4) and there's no color burning.

I think it's refreshing, the weirdest thing is the blue costumes, they look like something out of The Abyss.

I just wanted people to post or search Syd Mead. Wish I could afford his artbooks :/

The hair and make-up look bloody stupid imO. Really detracts from the illusion that you are looking at real people going about their business in a future now.

And don't get me started on those suits (or the ship set from the stills)!

I think with the beautiful people he's trying to capture some of the german model hairstyles aesthetic that he had in blade runner. Make-up and hair on that chick though are not stylized though, it's like she stepped out of modern TV salon 101.

Impressed by the old school sci-fi visuals, specially with the vehicles design which are very Sid Mead (lol as if you know who Sid Mead is). Dark scenes are dark, no orangy HDR garbage with teal shadows, this might actually be good, here's hoping.

erm

Ope7E.jpg

I don't think it's that bad (compare the trailer to Dark Knight for instance), usually the dark scenes now-a-days have that green look (Die Hard 4) and there's no color burning.

I think it's refreshing, the weirdest thing is the blue costumes, they look like something out of The Abyss.

I just wanted people to post or search Syd Mead. Wish I could afford his artbooks :/

The hair and make-up look bloody stupid imO. Really detracts from the illusion that you are looking at real people going about their business in a future now.

Well, Fassbender plays a cyborg so that'll explain his hair.

Lol you guys really do moan about the most pointless bollocks.

^this

erm

Ope7E.jpg

Well, Fassbender plays a cyborg so that'll explain his hair.

Lol you guys really do moan about the most pointless bollocks.

^this

So it's clichéd cyborg hair. lol

Also, you can watch the build up with blinkers on all you like, but to call valid criticism complaint, smacks of fear that you may be building this up too much in your minds ;-p

/leaves thread before he gets crushed by the crowd krakken.

that trailer has a surprising number of finished shots for a film being released on 6/8/12....

i kinda like it but I hate the digital sheen...guess nobody can escape the combination of flimsy, unconvincing sets with excessive vfx these days...

i kinda like it but I hate the digital sheen...guess nobody can escape the combination of flimsy, unconvincing sets with excessive vfx these days...

Yeah, it looks VERY clean which doesn't exactly fit the Alien-universe, but I guess that might be because we are used to the Alien-universe being captured on film and not digital. I'm not saying it looks bad. Not at all. Actually it looks fucking crisp. The clip where Charlize Theron's character goes into the hyper sleep thingie machine almost looks like a painting.

erm

Ope7E.jpg

And don't get me started on those suits (or the ship set from the stills)!

If I knew absolutely nothing about what the context of this picture was (except that it was film/tv related) I would assume it's Star Trek related. Only Star Trek spacemen are so well groomed.

http://www.guardian....en-ridley-scott

^ this article articulates my thoughts on the trailer better than i could. And i don't give Mr. Scott a benefit of the doubt. Better be pleasantly surprised than utterly disappointed.

...grandiose sense of adventure and spectacle...

give me a fucking break.

Edited by Guest

http://www.guardian....en-ridley-scott

^ this article articulates my thoughts on the trailer better than i could. And i don't give Mr. Scott a benefit of the doubt. Better be pleasantly surprised than utterly disappointed.

...grandiose sense of adventure and spectacle...

give me a fucking break.

Well...

To me, the trailer and production stills gives me the impression that the protagonists will be flashy fancy highly financed space aristocrats, who arrogantly think they have control of the universe with their awesome technology, so when the shit hits the fan, it's a huge shock to them: 'But this can't be? I have money!'

Although that's probably me reading into it too much. I hope so though. I think it suits this generation better, it'll scare the kids more, I think they'll relate to that kind of thing more.

I also like the little "sorry" you hear in the beginning. To me this hints at mankind being the real big bads which always makes for interesting horror stories. If it really is about the end of the world, it's far more scary to think that we ended up destroying ourselves than some alien coming along and doing it. IMO.

I think it's great that yet another prequel looks to have far more advanced technology than what's found in the movies that supposedly proceed them. it's also nice that it's almost completely orange and teal. like my avator.

Edited by Gocab

Seriously, guys. It's a "production still" from what's probably an unfinished SFX shot. It's basically meaningless as an indicator of what the movie will look like.

The interior helmet lighting is giving everything that unnatural HDR look, but the helmets have either been removed or are going to be added at some point post-"still" shot. Almost everything in the trailer itself, which is at least a few months further into post-prod, has that classic Alien grey and sepia look, except for a few explosion shots.

I've basically hated everything Ridley has done since the 1990s, but I have to give him a bit of credit for not being a visual Michael Bay clone, at the very least.

Edit: also, yeah, all the press info I've seen so far suggests these are "explorers." You ever meet a poorly-financed "explorer"? These guys are probably heavily bankrolled by Weyland. They aren't marines and they aren't space truckers, and I welcome a slightly different visual style that's clearly nonetheless set in the same universe (and one that modern audiences will probably find an easier time accepting as "future"). That's not a bad thing at all.

Edited by baph