Guest RadarJammer

Sweet. It's always good to sit in a chair and watch some aliens and spaceships doing cool shit on the big screen. Then the sticky squeaky rubbery spilled softdrink sound my shoes make as I exit the theater makes me cringe and spoils the mood.

I'm talking about the trailer.

I don't see a lot of orange and teal in the trailer, tbqh, and I'm usually really fucking annoyed by orange and teal. The overall color palate looks closer to

space-jockey-alien-1_1199468813_640w.jpg

tumblr_ktvx970VKo1qapksho1_400.jpg

than

megan-fox-revenge-of-the-fallen-shia-labeouf-teal-orange-teal-orange-transformers-Favim.com-57952.jpg

We've never seen what ultra-slick and modern looks like in the Alien universe. We've only seen space truckers, weathered space marines and a grimy prison planet (Alien Resurrection does not exist).

which makes it even more unbelievable that it's a prequel. The more we go into the past the more sheen and clean things get? It doesn't work for me at all. It's not as bad but similar to how the Phantom Menace and the star wars prequels felt more futuristic than the original trilogy. Prequels are a bad idea. I can't believe ridley scott did one.

Impressed by the old school sci-fi visuals, specially with the vehicles design which are very James Cameron Aliens (lol as if you know who James cameron is is). .

fixt

Edited by Awepittance

Guest RadarJammer

Professional Niggling has just been announced as a new sports category for the 2012 summer Olympics, I'm putting together a team and you're all invited.

We've never seen what ultra-slick and modern looks like in the Alien universe. We've only seen space truckers, weathered space marines and a grimy prison planet (Alien Resurrection does not exist).

which makes it even more unbelievable that it's a prequel. The more we go into the past the more sheen and clean things get? It doesn't work for me at all. It's not as bad but similar to how the Phantom Menace and the star wars prequels felt more futuristic than the original trilogy. Prequels are a bad idea. I can't believe ridley scott did one.

But the difference is that this crew is a well-funded expedition and as I said, we have not yet seen what the state of the art tech looks like in the Alien universe. In fact, I think it would look even more stupid if they had 70s style computers that fill a room complete with Christmas lights blinking and monochrome CRTs dumping a bunch of numbers.

And as for the Star Wars prequels, the reason I heard for it looking more slick than the original trilogy is that it was in a time of high prosperity and it's been on a decline ever since the Empire got established who monopolized all the cool shit for its nefarious needs.

I think people are getting too bent out of shape from a minute long trailer and production stills. I for one am not bothered by the difference in tech aesthetics, just because it makes sense from the reasons I stated earlier.

I think the look of Prometheus fits in quite well with Alien and Aliens... it's not quite as grimey but it's at least dark and has a 70's sci fi design aesthetic, as mentioned before, quite Syd Mead-ish.

It's a little bit more modern, but comparing it to Phantom Menace is going a bit over the top. Plus, the trailer looks completely different to the production stills, I trust the trailer more.

Impressed by the old school sci-fi visuals, specially with the vehicles design which are very James Cameron Aliens (lol as if you know who James cameron is is). .

fixt

Mead did work on Aliens, I think he was the main designer.

Tech wise they seem to be holding back, heck even Idris Elba is sporting an old school black guy mustache, that must count for something.

It's a little bit more modern, but comparing it to Phantom Menace is going a bit over the top. Plus, the trailer looks completely different to the production stills, I trust the trailer more.

you're right, it was over the top. I think i'm just trying to get at the heart of how a prequel movie is inherently problematic. I can't think of a single time it worked seamlessly except for Temple of Doom (and that was kind of a half assed prequel anyways, takes place right before Raiders)

the White Squall nostalgia hardon is strong here

fixt

There's a bunch of wankers on Ars Technica saying they'll boycott the movie if the space folk in this don't use CLIs

Edited by baph

• 4 weeks later...

Bump for new pix and bonus ass from trailer.

prometh.jpg?1326645165

To draw conclusions about this picture on how the movie will look is probably premature. It looks like a production photo and it doesn't have the digital color grading that is inevitable with movies, so it will probably look much different. And watching The Hobbit production diaries they mentioned that they need to consider that some colors don't work so well in the digital medium and therefor use much more powerful colors on their sets.

As for the aestheritcs (Mass Effect-y, which is not a bad thing) I have no trouble with it since this is about well-funded expedition looking for humanities start or something similarly epic. Still excited about this movie.

Bonus ass (Charlize Theron's?)

5KjJw.png

Bump for new pix and bonus ass from trailer.

prometh.jpg?1326645165

To draw conclusions about this picture on how the movie will look is probably premature.

It is not unreasonable to see a promotional picture for a film and expect to see it in the film. In all it's teal and orange glory.

We shall see. But knowing you, you are probably going to be prissy and whinge about some shit and otherwise be a negative cunt. :emotawesomepm9:

What's all this 'going to be' talk? As in, the future tense?

I gotta admit, when I saw the trailer, I was a bit excited.

But Hollywood has built up my expectations before, so I think I'm going to stick with my reservations on this one.

I would rather go into the film doubting it and coming out wrong, than going into it all pumped up and being severely disappointed.