Or maybe the movie was made in 1979. :P

Though to be fair they could have made the new suits look like the primitive space tech that they used back then.

Again, in Alien they were space truckers, not a well-funded exploration team with all the latest toys.

that's like saying the reason everything looks so clean and sterile in Phantom menace is because 'the empire hadn't fuck everything up yet'

it's really because big budget hollywood has an obsession with sterility and clean looking sets, not for any other reason at all, im just disappointed ridley opted for a scifi look that appears 1,000 times more polished (in a bad way) visually than Bladerunner or Alien.

( i am mostly just referring to the trailer, not the still)

Edited by Awepittance

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I don't know how anyone who has watched the Prometheus trailer critically doesn't think this will be the best mainstream dark sci fi film we have seen a looong time. Orange and Teal, more advanced looking tech in the prequel and all... this movie is gonna be balls deep in my brain pussy.

I don't know how anyone who has watched the Prometheus trailer critically doesn't think this will be the best mainstream dark sci fi film we have seen a looong time. Orange and Teal, more advanced looking tech in the prequel and all... this movie is gonna be balls deep in my brain pussy.

Good point, but then again, there arent too many mainstream dark sci fi films around.

Again, in Alien they were space truckers, not a well-funded exploration team with all the latest toys.

that's like saying the reason everything looks so clean and sterile in Phantom menace is because 'the empire hadn't fuck everything up yet'

it's really because big budget hollywood has an obsession with sterility and clean looking sets, not for any other reason at all, im just disappointed ridley opted for a scifi look that appears 1,000 times more polished (in a bad way) visually than Bladerunner or Alien.

Well it makes far more sense that they are not space truckers. Does it make the movie better if the look is grimy and rough? If there is someone to blame it's Apple for this sort of slick and polished look in sci-fi. And lets face it, you are talking about movies that came out 30 years ago, things have moved on from then. Today we have thin LCDs, why would a spaceship in the far future all of a sudden have a monochromatic CRT? Maybe it's the nostalgia talking.

Edited by azatoth

It will be a teal and orange extravaganza, worse than any Michael Bay movie (not that I've ever seen one of his movies). I was listening to the Black Hawk Down DVD commentary and Ridley did the whole "Where were you during 9/11?" to himself, completely unsolicited, that made me realize Ridley Scott isn't special, he's just another guy, whatever he had during the 70-80's is long gone.

Edited by vasio

Guest Backson

Good point, but then again, there arent too many mainstream dark sci fi films around.

Fucking Children of Men.

In fact, I barely had a reason to mention that film at all. But I wanted to. Because I think that is a fucking awesome film.

Guest Backson

It will be a teal and orange extravaganza, worse than any Michael Bay movie (not that I've ever seen one of his movies). I was listening to the Black Hawk Down DVD commentary and Ridley did the whole "Where were you during 9/11?" to himself, completely unsolicited, that made me realize Ridley Scott isn't special, he's just another guy, whatever he had during the 70-80's is long gone.

Bitch please, the trailer alone is better than any Michael Bay film I've seen.

Well it makes far more sense that they are not space truckers. Does it make the movie better if the look is grimy and rough? If there is someone to blame it's Apple for this sort of slick and polished look in sci-fi. And lets face it, you are talking about movies that came out 30 years ago, things have moved on from then. Today we have thin LCDs, why would a spaceship in the far future all of a sudden have a monochromatic CRT? Maybe it's the nostalgia talking.

Some pertinent points there azatoth, but I'd like to counter one of them in a wholly non-trolling way.

You said "If there is someone to blame it's Apple for this sort of slick and polished look in sci-fi.". While I would initially tend to lean a little into agreeing with you there, I would respectfully disagree because as far as I'm concerned, it's the director's / art director's fault as to the look of a film. If Ridley Scott wanted to have it look grimy and dirty like the original Alien, you bet your arse he could get his way. It would seem that Ridley Scott and his art director have consciously chosen this aesthetic - something which obviously only they can be held accountable for.

Hopefully you can see where I'm coming from here, just as I can see where you're coming from too. I just see it as the director / art director having control over the aesthetic, and while there may be external influences (such as Apple, in your example) it is still down to the director / art director to 'sign-off' on having those influences affect the look.

Let's not forget this is shot in 3D so everything will look murky and washed when you put on your 3D glasses compared to the 2D images. It will have INCREDIBLE DEPTH though. INCREDIBLE.

I do not watch films in 3D.

I'm guessing that because this film is going to be rather aggressively pushed at the cinemas, the local ones here will try to rape everyone as much as they can, and will consequently only have 3D showings. If this is indeed the case (as happened with TRON Legacy around here) then I shall again be pirating it when it shows up on newsgroups.

What?

Go watch it in 2D then, with the full surround sound, and chew on some popcorn

atspopcorn.gif

Seriously

They spend a fuckload of time and money on developing these films then cvnts plan on pirating them straight away.

Then we moan that there are hardly any dark and decent sci-fi movies coming out.

Go figure?

(and from my point of view, I reckon this is going to kick ass in 3D)

*edit*

Were you trollin'?

Edited by feltcher

The suits look absolutely retarded... In fact, the whole the movie looks ridiculous. At most it will be a decent popcorn romp like pandorum. I'll enjoy seeing a bunch of people get real disappointed.

What?

Go watch it in 2D then, with the full surround sound, and chew on some popcorn

atspopcorn.gif

Seriously

They spend a fuckload of time and money on developing these films then cvnts plan on pirating them straight away.

Then we moan that there are hardly any dark and decent sci-fi movies coming out.

Go figure?

(and from my point of view, I reckon this is going to kick ass in 3D)

I guess I didn't make my point clear...

I have a very strong feeling that none of the cinemas in my local area will be showing it in 2D, in fact only showing it in 3D as they did with TRON Legacy. The only plausible explanation for this is that the cinemas knew that this would be a popular film, and wanted to milk the patrons as much as they could. Since Prometheus is dealing with a very very popular franchise, I'm confident they'll be doing the same.

Edited by oscillik

I wonder if oscillik would be as dismissive about movies if he lived in the era of silent movies and those bastard studios would be pushing "talkies". Those bastards, if I wanted to see a talking movie, I would go to the theater!

I wonder if oscillik would be as dismissive about movies if he lived in the era of silent movies and those bastard studios would be pushing "talkies". Those bastards, if I wanted to see a talking movie, I would go to the theater!

3D movies use unrefined technology that is straining on the eyes. I got a massive headache from watching Avatar in 3D and almost vomited in the car on the way home because it hurt so much. Please don't act like our primitive "leap" to 3D is anything more than cinema trickery at this point. Maybe in a couple of years they'll figure out some other system (goggles?) that is actually convincing instead of gimmicky.

3D movies use unrefined technology that is straining on the eyes. I got a massive headache from watching Avatar in 3D and almost vomited in the car on the way home because it hurt so much. Please don't act like our primitive "leap" to 3D is anything more than cinema trickery at this point. Maybe in a couple of years they'll figure out some other system (goggles?) that is actually convincing instead of gimmicky.

Most people didn't throw up though. Some people even became depressed because their lives weren't as exciting as Pandora. :cisfor:

3D will get better, but only certain movies should be shown this way.

Thanks Hoodie, you've said pretty much what I was going to say.

Only thing left to say is to reiterate to azatoth that only showing 3D presentations of films is a dodgy practice purely done to reap as much revenue from ticket sales as possible

only showing 3D presentations of films is a dodgy practice purely done to reap as much revenue from ticket sales as possible

And of course to try and regain some of the expenses of having the 3D equipment installed in the first place

Guest MastaN8

I kind of like the idea of the clean/sterile clashing with the grimey/slimey. I don't doubt by the end of this flick the teal/orange spacesuits with be covered in filth, sweaty, messy hair and runny makeup.