IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

true, yeah ;)

I mostly got the cast iron for searing meats, + some really nice recipes that are best finished in the oven (deep dish pizza, frittata, stuff like that). 

Oh, and durability. We seem to have to replace a pan a year or so. 

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

true dat.

fwp.. I started making a drink, had 6oz overproof in a cup started making a drink... left the kitchen... came back distracted, for some reason thought it was leftover water from last night and chucked it in the sink.

what a waste

true dat.

fwp.. I started making a drink, had 6oz overproof in a cup started making a drink... left the kitchen... came back distracted, for some reason thought it was leftover water from last night and chucked it in the sink.

what a waste

Gosh hooj take a break from pumping iron and toblerone injections and clean your damn kitchen!

lol... half fair? Here is my kitchen right now:

KsztnEn.jpg

It's not that bad? It's like, semi tidy? lol @ the box of assorted craft beers bottom left though.

I don't know what happened! I was just distracted. Sometimes I use the same glass for mixed drinks that I do for icewater. My mind was somewhere else and I just chucked the rum in the sink lol. ugh.

le-sigh. Guess tonights Rye. :)

cast iron is the shit!  for so many things.. that good scald on potatoes... eggs, stir fry.. fucking pancakes... 

screw that non stick stuff. i don't want to be in the next erin brokavich movie for cancer in the water. hexavalent chromium it's what' kids need. 

that's what dupont tefal, teflon and all those non stick chemicals are.. and they chip and stuff. fuck that. a good cast iron pan will last for generations. and they season up so well. 

dupont is currently dealing w/court cases for stuff in the water from non stick pans.. that shit breaks down on the pan eventually and you eat it.. all you get from cooking w/cast iron is a bit of iron in your food and it's good for you. 

cast iron is the shit!  for so many things.. that good scald on potatoes... eggs, stir fry.. fucking pancakes... 

screw that non stick stuff. i don't want to be in the next erin brokavich movie for cancer in the water. hexavalent chromium it's what' kids need. 

that's what dupont tefal, teflon and all those non stick chemicals are.. and they chip and stuff. fuck that. a good cast iron pan will last for generations. and they season up so well. 

dupont is currently dealing w/court cases for stuff in the water from non stick pans.. that shit breaks down on the pan eventually and you eat it.. all you get from cooking w/cast iron is a bit of iron in your food and it's good for you. 

I felt similarly for a while. I'm skeptical that Teflon is actually harmful though. They are not very durable anyway, which I found annoying. 

One day in Walmart, of all places, I found a pan I thought was interesting. It's made of shot peened steel. They blast the pan surface with tiny metal beads which give it a bumpy surface that looks like a rock, but somehow manages to prevent sticking. It does a fairly good job as a non-stick pan, and you can use metal utensils on it. So far, it has held up to abuse and continues to do so. 

Do you remember the brand by chance?

Yeah they are The Rock series pans by a company called Starfrit. I was hesitant to try them at first because not many people know about them yet. Been using mine for almost a year now and i've been quite impressed. In some cases, the non-stick surface is not as effective as a brand new Teflon coating. This is a very minor problem though considering how durable the thing is. I use a heavy metal spatula on it constantly and it withstands the abuse. I really like that it's just old fashioned steel, but shot peened. There's no coatings or chemical processes involved in manufacturing them.

xW0NXqC.jpg

^^ The 10" I use. I also have a deep well 12" model that is a little more expensive, but much larger. It fits a lot of food because of the angle on the sidewalls.

Here's an example of what the steel surface looks like:

Shot-Peen-2013.jpg

Except the dimples are a lot more dense/smaller. The beads it is blasted with must be very tiny. 

Edited by agaricus

people with well disguised problems, with a wife & a nipper to look after, jumping off Avon Gorge 2 weeks b4 christmas

4th suicide of olde sound system crews in the last 18months, can people pls seek help or talk? not when their Dr repeatedly refuses to take someone's problems seriously

male suicides are 1 of society's taboos & yet mental health care is an international travesty, ffs there has to be another way

people with well disguised problems, with a wife & a nipper to look after, jumping off Avon Gorge 2 weeks b4 christmas

4th suicide of olde sound system crews in the last 18months, can people pls seek help or talk? not when their Dr repeatedly refuses to take someone's problems seriously

male suicides are 1 of society's taboos & yet mental health care is an international travesty, ffs there has to be another way

I was thinking about this today (I think about it every day).

mental health issues, far from being unusual or taboo, should be recognised for how normal and common they are. depression in particular. it is a normal reaction to observe the state of the world and the terms & conditions of existence (namely, that you can't really change anything and you're only here for a blink anyway) and, if you're somebody who has any empathy or cares about the common good, to become depressed about it. it's a human reaction. what matters is how you deal with that, not stigmatising negative thoughts as abnormal and outside of the ordinary human experience. we should instill in society the basic understanding that accepting your bad thoughts and dealing with them appropriately makes you a far stronger person than just trying (and failing) to aim for some constant bland positivity all throughout your life. edit: and this should be reflected in our institutions, especially in places of employment - people's mental health issues should be on the agenda in terms of professional development, not neglected by idiot managers as "that's for you to deal with, I just manage your work".

normies who emphasise mindless positivity and repress their issues are the biggest nutters out there, and are often the ones who will trample on others/behave unethically to get what they want.

Edited by usagi

I was thinking about this today (I think about it every day).

mental health issues, far from being unusual or taboo, should be recognised for how normal and common they are. depression in particular. it is a normal reaction to observe the state of the world and the terms & conditions of existence (namely, that you can't really change anything and you're only here for a blink anyway) and, if you're somebody who has any empathy or cares about the common good, to become depressed about it. it's a human reaction. what matters is how you deal with that, not stigmatising negative thoughts as abnormal and outside of the ordinary human experience. we should instill in society the basic understanding that accepting your bad thoughts and dealing with them appropriately makes you a far stronger person than just trying (and failing) to aim for some constant bland positivity all throughout your life. edit: and this should be reflected in our institutions, especially in places of employment - people's mental health issues should be on the agenda in terms of professional development, not neglected by idiot managers as "that's for you to deal with, I just manage your work".

normies who emphasise mindless positivity and repress their issues are the biggest nutters out there, and are often the ones who will trample on others/behave unethically to get what they want.

Not to get too personal, but an all too familiar example is when my own step brother took the "shortcut" three years ago. Granted it was partly combat PTSD related, but he concealed his suffering pretty well.

Oddly enough, I was right at the age that he left when I had my own depression episode in early July 2016. But I made a promise to those close to me not to opt out early. But it was also a very uncertain year with a lot of anxiety for everyone.

Anyway, my advice is if you're suffering from depression too, it's best to bring it out in the open.

new fwp

the curtains in my kitchen are terrible and I'm self conscious about them  :fear:

edit: a quick google search for "mega masculine high testosterone non frilly lady curtains" didn't give me many good options.