IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

I'm so traumatized that I can only express myself through poetry.

What the fuck was that,

That just came out my arse?

That was not a normal poo

Am I having a psychotic episode

And have I been eating cat food again?

It remains a possibility 

• Thanks 1

I also spent NYE alone for the first time in years (the ladies being at my mother-in-law's), and I can honestly say it was the best in years. Took a bath, didn't shave, made myself some pizza, watched some docus in my leisure suit ... I don't even think I've had any alcohol. It was a revelatory experience, made me realize just how much I really hate that whole ordeal. I mean I kind of knew that before, but I think I accepted it as something you just have to do. Now it was like catching a glimpse of a beautiful world beyond where you just don't.

Yeah, you guessed it, I'm really fun at parties. I hate having to sit around for hours with a room full of relative strangers waiting for the big thing to finally happen; it's always a drag. I hate fucking firecrackers; the restrictions were so unbelievably great that I really hope the Green party will find a way to somehow ban that shit for good. Millions of dogs and other animals are with me on this (not likely to happen though). I hate sparkling wine. I hate standing around on rooftops in the cold holding a humiliating plastic champagne flute with zero strawberries in it, waiting for other people to light their stupid firecrackers so they can throw them between my feet (ha ha!) or in the hood of my jacket (ain't that fun!) while being hugged by drunken strangers every five seconds and having to wish them a wonderful year back even though I don't give a fuck and they just put a burn hole in my best hooded The North FaceTM anorak. I hate the apocalyptic feeling on the day after when you're hungover and feel herpes creeping up on you and there are broken bottles and detonated post boxes all around and you just want to barf all over it like everyone else seems to already have done.

I fucking love fondue. That is a little bit of a conundrum.

Well, the important thing is I've decided I don't do NYE anymore, the way Mariah Carey doesn't do stairs. Can't wait to tell the missus.

FWP: Now that I finally have a new laptop it feels like such a drag setting everything up that I kind of wish I hadn't.

• Like 3

On 12/1/2020 at 12:27 AM, kakapo said:

If you can get it i recommend the megachef brand of fish sauce.  Its worth paying a little bit extra.  If not the ubiquitous squid brand will do.  Vietnamese fish sauce, although often more artisanal, is a different flavour profile, being generally sweeter and milder.  Will work at a push but you will need to taste and reseason carefully. 

I usually get the Healthy Boy one, it seems to be the most widely available brand of Thai seasonings outside of Thailand that is actually produced in Thailand. I think that fermented shrimp paste is an easy and fun way to add umami, too. Khao Klook Kapi is easy, quick and satisfying. Spend extra $€£ for this brand as it doesn't contain any additives:

mae-pranom-shrimp-paste-kapi-350g.jpg

1 hour ago, dingformung said:

I usually get the Healthy Boy one, it seems to be the most widely available brand of Thai seasonings outside of Thailand that is actually produced in Thailand. I think that fermented shrimp paste is an easy and fun way to add umami, too. Khao Klook Kapi is easy, quick and satisfying. Spend extra $€£ for this brand as it doesn't contain any additives:

mae-pranom-shrimp-paste-kapi-350g.jpg

Healthy Boy is ubiquitous in the UK for thai soy and seasoning sauces, but I've never seen their fish sauce here.  It's nearly all Squid brand.  Shrimp paste is impossible to get really good quality in the UK (and I imagine everywhere else outside of Thailand), and the ones readily available are pretty much salty crap, ok for a curry paste, not great for a nam prik or khao klook kapi.  I can see I can get this one on line, will put in an order and give it a try.  I'm going to start a new thai food thread.  

• Like 2

It's definitely more salty than it is umami, even if you don't get a rancid 40 year old one.

I order a lot of Asian stuff online because Asian shops or Asian sections in supermarkets in Germany are probably even worse than in the UK. Asian restaurants here offer tasty but extremely inauthentic food, made to fit the taste of people who can't stand spices and like to occupy public swimming pool loungers with towels.

• Haha 1

All of my video encoding headaches of the last month could have been avoided had i simply checked to see if there was a cracked version of Final Cut Pro... which happens to work directly from the dmg file, no additional hacker wizardry required... and is somehow compatible with my ancient OS that virtually nothing is compatible with.  Just theoretically speaking, of course, since I would never use pirated software.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

All of my video encoding headaches of the last month could have been avoided had i simply checked to see if there was a cracked version of Final Cut Pro... which happens to work directly from the dmg file, no additional hacker wizardry required... and is somehow compatible with my ancient OS that virtually nothing is compatible with.  Just theoretically speaking, of course, since I would never use pirated software.

sometimes it's the only solution since the older versions are available anymore.  at least FCP can still be purchased unlike adobe creative cloud that forces subscription model. 

i've used iMovie for somethings and it's ok for basics.. but is also really stupid for some processes. can't complain because it came w/the computer a million years ago and did offer several updates over the years. 

Adobe's pricing plan fucking sucks. If you don't want to pay for Photoshop, I recommend using Affinity Photo. You pay like $50 and it's yours forever. They don't have a video editing app yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the works.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Braintree said:

Adobe's pricing plan fucking sucks. If you don't want to pay for Photoshop, I recommend using Affinity Photo. You pay like $50 and it's yours forever. They don't have a video editing app yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the works.

good to know. i still have a working photoshop install but would be nice to ditch it for something new/fast/light.. especially if i end up with an ipad. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Braintree said:

I know a lot of people who have decided to switch to DaVinci and they have no looked back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cryptowen said:

absolutely shocked at the number of zoomers who don't save stuff as mp3

its like they think the p stands for poop or something

mashed poop3

It's probably a bad idea to open that can of worms, but here I go: I never use mp3, why should I? Or why should they? (I'm not a zoomer, not sure if that makes a difference.) Just because of storage space? Sounds like a deal with the devil to me. (For the record, I mostly don't use WAV either, FLAC is my sweet spot.)

1 hour ago, dingformung said:

2 hours ago, IDEM said:

Sounds like a deal with the devil to me.

Edit: It's hyperbole, of course, but come on: storage space is cheap af these days. I have like 20 TB or something; how much music do you need?

I was just wondering if there are other reasons beside that for someone to be "absolutely shocked", cause that one isn't really valid for me personally.

But yeah, I guess everyone has to decide for themselves how highly they value quality vs. space.

Edited by IDEM

2 minutes ago, dingformung said:

fone doe

Begone with your foul zoomer language!

Edit: But yeah, I don't use my phone for music listening purposes.

Edited by IDEM

9 hours ago, Cryptowen said:

absolutely shocked at the number of zoomers who don't save stuff as mp3

its like they think the p stands for poop or something

It's a proprietary codec.  If I go lossy, I go with vorbis.  Otherwise it's FLAC for me.

youtube algorithm suggests "how to read more books" videos

books in thumbnail are always oprah's book club/NYT self-help bestseller from the last 10 years/intro2stoicism tier

its like poetry, it rhymes