IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

11 hours ago, drillkicker said:

If you aren't positive, double check that you have GCC or another compiler installed, because your system won't be able to build anything from source if you don't have one.

GCC is installed. Running build.sh gives the following error:

Version: 5.4.79+
Using kernel sources in /midex8/

make: Entering directory '/midex8'
Makefile:928: scripts/Makefile.ubsan: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target 'scripts/Makefile.ubsan'.  Stop.
make: Leaving directory '/midex8'

My last attempt at following the earlier mentioned kernel module rebuilding guide went ok-ish in that the compiler built/compiled all the drivers mentioned in the .config file that was copied from /lib/modules/uname and a midex8 directory was also created but nothing appeared in the directory. 

I also don't understand this step in the building guide:

make O=../build_module modules SUBDIRS=drivers/<patch to driver>/

What is the patch to driver? Or is this a typo and is it supposed to be "path to driver"?

10 hours ago, ignatius said:

oof. wait at least 5 days after possible exposure before getting tested unless you develop symptoms.. then get tested right away. some people report symptoms began 10 days after exposure according to contact tracing. 

Yeah, due to New Year's Eve I've made a reservation to get tested on Monday morning (so that's 3 days) and then I'll my answer back in 2 days.hat  Then on New Year's Eve I'm going to get a paid quick test which will give you the result within 15 min.
So yeah... now I can't see anyone during my time off because of that fucking family.

• Facepalm 1

12 hours ago, user said:

What is the patch to driver? Or is this a typo and is it supposed to be "path to driver"?

I'm guessing it means "path," since this guide doesn't seem to have anything to do with patching.

Also I have no idea what ubsan is.  It looks like the module itself might be bugged.  The last update to the module says it's for Linux version 4.15.  Is that the same version you're working with ?

In build.sh, this line is the one that actually builds the module:

make -C $KERNEL_SOURCE_DIR M=$MODULE_DIR/sound/usb/midex/

I would try running this command manually, plugging in the directories for the kernel sources and the module folder.

Also, I see now that your error message was looking for kernel sources inside the module folder.  This may be what's causing the issue.

Beginning of the year releases have a longer shelf life, since the year stays fresh longer.  If you release something on Dec 31st 2020, by Jan 2021 it already gives the impression of being a year old.  Your FWP is an FWS in disguise.

• Like 3

On 12/25/2020 at 10:55 PM, Zephyr_Nova said:

Experienced a brief period of congestion while with the family today, which has since totally cleared up.  I understand that's not a symptom of the 'vid, but still - god damn it.  I used to take no precautions and never get colds.  Now I'm taking extra precautions and getting sick on the regular.  

Because your immune system isn’t exposed to other bacteria. You need to expose yourself to more people. 

11 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

Top blade of my blender busted off. Everything else about the appliance still works fine, yet it is now virtually useless. 

EDIT: Obviously I should have bought one of these. 

depending on brand you can buy replacement parts. i've replaced the blade assembly on my blender 3 times i think.

for example:

https://www.breville.com/us/en/products/blenders/parts-accessories.html

• Like 1

Bought a brand new backlit keyboard for my desktop. But for some reason it won't work when plugged directly into the USB port. It works fine though if I use the wireless adapter for it, which looks like a chinchilla tail and flops around easily.

13 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

A legit point indeed. It's just a cheap $40 Oster blender anyhow. The real FWP is just the inconvenience ?

(Edit: quoting @ignatius)

speaking the true true. the blender i have i got as a gift a few years ago. it's mostly really good.. but the blade spinner thing leaks after a while at the seal where the spinner/gear thing is. so after a while it gets really messy.  i have a new assembly thing on order right now actually.  is there no solid fucking steal blender? what do the "only buy once" people do for a blender.. those people who buy the shoes that last 10 years or whatever.. 

fwp: spent the last 2 days editing down an hour long modular jam and arranging it and now that i isten to it on speakers it might be annoying dumb shit but tomorrow will reveal the truth because my ears are tired and all is dumb.  this happens half the time... or more depending on who i ask ? 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

image.png.3d8df427ebcf7d4298fa1d7f7e6780c6.png

she's looking straight down. that guy's dong must be touching the ground.

@toaoaoad regarding blenders.. the one i was gifted is a "breville boss on the go" and goes for around $150. more than i'd ever spend on a blender.  but now that i've used it for a couple years i'd probably spend that much  because other than the leaky thing it's really good for smoothies. i use it pretty much every day.  it's not a traditional blender. it liquifies things. the leak issue only happens after lot's of use and only if i routinely over pack the thing so that when i screw the thing together there's lot's of pressure on the blade assembly making it loosen up over time. 

my ex had a "ninja" blender which was really good and much bigger w/bigger mechanism w/the blades etc. it was also good. 

other FWP.. this other track that i was done and ready to finish up the mix now sounds like i need to redo all the drums because they aren't making sense anymore. 

• Thanks 1

Blenders: don’t buy them. They’re a really stupid design, with the potentially leaky thing at the bottom.

Just get a food processor. They blend just fine and can do other things as well. *And* they have the leaky thing on top so it doesn’t matter if it leaks (I’ve never had leaks anyway).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, drillkicker said:

I use mortar and pestle

Next time you mortar and pestle mayonnaise, make a video. I’d love to see that ?

Edited by rhmilo

23 hours ago, rhmilo said:

Blenders: don’t buy them. They’re a really stupid design, with the potentially leaky thing at the bottom.

Just get a food processor. They blend just fine and can do other things as well. *And* they have the leaky thing on top so it doesn’t matter if it leaks (I’ve never had leaks anyway).

Something I've been pondering. Should I get a food processor or a hand-held blender with attachable jug (no leaky thing on the bottom)? The former can probably do more things but the latter doesn't take away much space and can do other things a food processor can't. ?

2 hours ago, dingformung said:

Something I've been pondering. Should I get a food processor or a hand-held blender with attachable jug (no leaky thing on the bottom)? The former can probably do more things but the latter doesn't take away much space and can do other things a food processor can't. ?

I have both. You need a hand held blender for things like pumpkin soup.

I’ve managed to break at least half a dozen of those hand held blenders with attachments to turn them into food processors. Might just be me, of course, but it might also be the not entirely fantastic quality of the hand held devices.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Braintree said:

it took months but I'm finally really fucking tired of being in front of my computer.

for me it was back in march. about a week into the first lockdown i went from being like "haha, i feel like I'm 16 again!" to "shit, i feel like i'm 16 again"

Going out for frequent walks certainly helps. Having a stretching or exercise routine. Reading actual paper books (I've probably spent a lot of money on stuff I could have gotten for free, just because I wanted to spend more time looking at pages instead of screens). I mean I am still on the thing a lot because it's what I make all my creative output with, which feels better than just dickin around on social media all the time, but still...

..oh yah, and the big one: having a standing workstation makes a huge difference, for me. just by the nature of standing up to work on a computer I am much more inclined to pause, stretch, walk around the room etc several times an hour, and overall feel much less shitty about the situation

Spoiler

spending time with a special friend again is also helping to offset the onset of full on ulimode

7 minutes ago, Cryptowen said:

for me it was back in march. about a week into the first lockdown i went from being like "haha, i feel like I'm 16 again!" to "shit, i feel like i'm 16 again"

Going out for frequent walks certainly helps. Having a stretching or exercise routine. Reading actual paper books (I've probably spent a lot of money on stuff I could have gotten for free, just because I wanted to spend more time looking at pages instead of screens). I mean I am still on the thing a lot because it's what I make all my creative output with, which feels better than just dickin around on social media all the time, but still...

..oh yah, and the big one: having a standing workstation makes a huge difference, for me. just by the nature of standing up to work on a computer I am much more inclined to pause, stretch, walk around the room etc several times an hour, and overall feel much less shitty about the situation

Reveal hidden contents

spending time with a special friend again is also helping to offset the onset of full on ulimode

I'm actually about to get out for a long walk. I try to take one every couple days. I work in tech, so I sit in front of my work computer all day and then switch over to a personal one afterward. The routine of all of this has gotten tiresome. I might go for a drive or something tomorrow just to get out of the city and see something unfamiliar.

1 minute ago, Braintree said:

I might go for a drive or something tomorrow just to get out of the city and see something unfamiliar

I had access to a car back in the summer & that was a real game changer! Just being able to go out to the middle of nowhere on the regular, sit on a rock by myself & listen to nature for a few hours - it was a good reset from the (largely human/societal) chaos of 2020, a reminder that there is still a larger world that's largely unaffected by all of this

• Like 1