IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

On 12/26/2020 at 5:19 PM, drillkicker said:

In build.sh, this line is the one that actually builds the module:

I would try running this command manually, plugging in the directories for the kernel sources and the module folder.

Also, I see now that your error message was looking for kernel sources inside the module folder.  This may be what's causing the issue.

Thanks for all the help. 
Ended up buying a 15,- class compliant usb midi dongle and got it to do what I wanted straight away. 

Just realized that if the pandemic actually starts to be over in 2021 all the postponed events and travels will hit back to back starting possibly from March or April. I'm counting 7 family celebrations, like a huge ass wedding that got postponed, to start with. Oh shit.

12 minutes ago, zkom said:

Just realized that if the pandemic actually starts to be over in 2021 all the postponed events and travels will hit back to back starting possibly from March or April. I'm counting 7 family celebrations, like a huge ass wedding that got postponed, to start with. Oh shit.

it's a pain. a few years ago i had to go to a bunch of fmaily weddings. like 4 in one year.. and i skipped one. and now there's another scheduled for this summer and i don't think i can do it. they're all on the other side of the country. 

9 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

This is unlikely, as we are all expected to follow the same protocols until everyone who wants a vaccine has been given one. It's not like the people who have been vaxxed get to go back to their normal lives while everybody else waits. People who have been vaccinated can still carry and spread the virus. 2021 is probably going to look a lot like 2020 did. 

EDIT: Sorry, slightly reactionary post. What you said still stands, but it definitely won't start in March or April. Here in Canada, we're thinking maybe September if we're lucky. International travel = who knows.

This. Early-mid 2021 is wishful thinking in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

This is unlikely, as we are all expected to follow the same protocols until everyone who wants a vaccine has been given one. It's not like the people who have been vaxxed get to go back to their normal lives while everybody else waits. People who have been vaccinated can still carry and spread the virus. 2021 is probably going to look a lot like 2020 did. 

Yes, the life isn't probably going to be back to completely normal until the end of the year, but it will start to get normal in a few months if the vaccinations continue as planned. As the percentage of population being vaccinated rises the R0 infection rate will start dropping which means less restrictions. Countries that now have banned foreign travelers will probably start allowing them if they have a proof of vaccination. The older people that are vaccinated first can visit family members more safely which means that larger family gatherings are possible, just maybe with some minor precautions. And so on. There isn't going to be sudden change back to normal in short term but probably things will start to normalize by summer.

As soon as the vaccinations started here the sales for flights to places like Thailand for the next year already shot up by 500% and music festivals with 10.000 visitors per day next summer have had their ticket sales going on for some time.

3 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

Still I think it's highly dubious that people who can show "proof of vaccination" get to go out and do shit while others wait. I can see a LOT of social conflict arising out of this, and it's quite dangerous. 

This was already the case before the covid-19 pandemic in case of some countries for diseases like yellow fever. That's why I have the WHO vaccination passport to show that I've had the yellow fever vaccination. The other option is usually to have the required vaccinations on entry. It's pretty standard procedure for some countries.

5 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

Also, as I mentioned, people who have been vaccinated can still carry and spread the virus. I get the impression that most people are only thinking of their own safety, and that is dangerously faulty thinking. 

It's not clear how infectious the vaccinated people with the virus actually are because they probably have much less of the virus in their system and don't have the symptoms that act as vectors, but it remains to be seen.

Yes, there is still a lot of unknowns. We might even get a vaccine resistant strain given the huge amount of cases and the evolutionary pressure the virus will have from the mass vaccinations. But my original post also had the "if" ?. So if life starts to get back to normal early-mid 2021 all the postponed shit will start to fall on me in a very short time span.

Just realized also that since I moved to my new apartment about a year ago that a bunch of relatives have promised to visit me as soon as it is safe and I've promised to visit a lot of people when it's possible.:facepalm:

I should be enjoying the relaxing alone time while I still can.

Edit: and my monthly work trips will resume:facepalm:

Edited by zkom
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, toaoaoad said:

Yeah. I'd never heard it before either (UK slang?). Google says:

To curve someone is "to reject" them, that is, veer away from their romantic interests and advances in an indirect, non-confrontational way.

I kinda like it, do we have a similar catch-all slang for this in North America? 

Maybe you can coin the term "to swerve someone". ?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, milkface said:

Hahah yeah using covid as an excuse to curve people is not going to be a thing in the future :(((

I managed to avoid at least one party I didn't want to go to anyway citing covid restrictions ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

fuckn blender actually died today. had the thing loaded up. turned it to blend and it just went click and nothing happened. fucker. had to pull the old oster pitcher bender out of the cupboard. makes a decent back up but wtf. $100 blenders don't seem to last more than a couple years. $25 classic "strawberry daquiri maker blnder from the 80s" lives forever. 

went by the store and the line was out the door. need to get some groceries but fuck a line. went to the alternate grocery store. got a trickle batter charger for the car. it's been hard to start because i never drive these days and this morning i didn't think it would start. 

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, dingformung said:

This is the first New Years Eve I will be spending alone. I would rather molest friends at a party, as usual, but not possible. But in all honesty, some part of me never wanted to party and always wants to be alone at home, so that part of me is definitely satisfied. I feel a bit bad about how good I feel about it.

I haven't talked to my dad for quite a bit, I think I will call him today. I miss the old fella. Hope he won't die too soon. But realistically, he will die in one of the coming years. I need to call him a lot more often.

yeah this'll be the first nye in like...six or seven years where i'm not working or going to a party (so far, anyways). honestly not too antsy about it: i did all the typical nye party stuff last year & it felt completely devoid of meaning. i only have a few ppl i'm genuinely close to irl these days & i've had good one on one interactions with them this week already

as for the dad thing: i wanted to call mine on christmas, and he emailed back "no son, don't rack up those long distance charges". i mean like i have unlimited national calling but i was able to read between the lines with that. if you've ever seen the movie swiss army man, my relationship with my dad is basically like that scene where the main character is explaining how he showed his dad how to set up an automatic birthday card email sender, and now the only interaction either of them have with each other is mutual reception of generic cute emails greeting cards on each other's birthdays

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dingformung said:

This is the first New Years Eve I will be spending alone. I would rather molest friends at a party, as usual, but not possible. But in all honesty, some part of me never wanted to party and always wants to be alone at home, so that part of me is definitely satisfied. I feel a bit bad about how good I feel about it.

I haven't talked to my dad for quite a bit, I think I will call him today. I miss the old fella. Hope he won't die too soon. But realistically, he will die in one of the coming years. I need to call him a lot more often.

Give him a call. My dad died over 10 years ago tragically and I still regret avoiding him in his last few years.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Extralife said:

Give him a call. My dad died over 10 years ago tragically and I still regret avoiding him in his last few years.

This. So much this. The regret kicks in so hard when they’re gone. 

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, dingformung said:

Yeah reach out to him if you can. My pops died just a few months after I last met him and I think we only talked once in between. That was two years ago.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, ambermonke said:

Yeah reach out to him if you can. My pops died just a few months after I last met him and I think we only talked once in between. That was two years ago.

❤️ 

24 minutes ago, Stickfigger said:

My folks live in the flat under our house and I was telling them on Xmas how much we loved having them there and my dad interrupted to tell me the WiFi wasn't working properly ... I'll miss that when he's gone 

Lol... happy new year buddy hope 2021 is amazing for you and the fam jam. 

24 minutes ago, Stickfigger said:

My folks live in the flat under our house and I was telling them on Xmas how much we loved having them there and my dad interrupted to tell me the WiFi wasn't working properly ... I'll miss that when he's gone 

well, did you fix it for him?

1 minute ago, Stickfigger said:

Of course , if I didn't I wouldn't be fulfilling my in-house IT responsibilities (it was a password issue )

was there a service fee? i think i'd have to pretend to charge service fees and keep a running tally. lay fertile ground for dad jokes to grow.