IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

yeah you've got to cheese-grate 2 grams worth of genital skin into a USB port while you recite the lyrics to "Milk Man" in that weird satanic-ritual monotone

Edited by LimpyLoo

^ that "cat rescues boy from dog" had the worst/best comments, like it brought out every single mentalist on t'internets. I spent a good 15 mins reading and loling at them.

Sometimes youtube comments transcend derpitude and become art, but in this case they were just generally irritating or stating something obvious. The fact that I kept reading probably means I've suffered some brain damage in recent years.

FWP: I'm pretty sure there are insects in my ceiling, possibly carpenter ants, just tap tap tapping away day and night. I'm waiting for a crack to appear for the colony to swarm out. It will be the happiest day of my cat's life.

Don't know. They told her she was doing great a week ago then didn't give her any more assignments for a few days.

must be illegal, find a good lawyer and take them to tribunal. Edited by MadameChaos

She's one too. Unfortunately you can be fired for literally no reason at any time with no notice if you're an at-will employee in the States. There aren't any lawyers' unions out there helping us negotiate for better employment contracts.

If she'd been fired because she was a woman (which, I dunno, might be the case or not but is impossible to prove in this situation... they didn't do anything to specifically suggest that. They just decided they had no more work for her.), we'd have a different situation.

But in any case without discrimination she'd only be entitled to the pay for the week and accrued vacation/sick pay... and that's what she got.

Unfortunately, you know, we live in the US. The very idea that workers should have more bargaining power against "job creators" is borderline anathema now. And if lawyers of all people in the US unionized there'd probably be a constitutional amendment to ban it. Everyone hates us.

Edit: I'm just trying to keep her positive now. The last job wasn't a great fit for her anyway. She wasn't there long. Trying to help her spring back and find a new, better place. Or at least a temp gig as a stepping stone. The more she dwells on this the more depressed and unwilling to keep moving she gets. Understandable. I've been there too a few times. But gotta keep moving.

Thing is, even without the requirement to give two weeks notice and pay, many places will do that. The fact that this place didn't says a lot about the kind of, err "folks" they are. Hoping that in the long run she's better off elsewhere.

Edited by baph

yeah, sorry to hear that baph. hope you two are able to stay afloat and happy while she finds new work.

fwp: two full grown women on my bus ride home (who sat right next to me) had a terrible, infantile, racist hissy fit at each other for over 25 minutes. a young black woman with a 4-5 y/o kid asked an indian couple where they were from (apparently in a somewhat offensive manner), causing the indian woman to say "look, just fuck off, I don't want to talk to you" at which point they both started flinging ridiculously stupid, racist insults at each other ("Fuck India!" "Fuck Africa!" "Fuckin' mail order bride!" "Hood bitch!" "Fuck your impotent husband!" "You don't even know the father of your kid!" "At least I HAVE a kid!" "Uneducated ho!" "Terrorist slum dog!" etc.) More than once, the young black woman got up to literally attempt to fight the Indian woman, who had moved away from her and was reacting to all the verbal garbage, unable to just stay quiet, apparently. "You won't get the last word with me, mail order bitch!" was the reply, naturally. "You aren't going to win!" (Clearly they both lost.) When the Indian woman held her phone above her head, ready to throw it at the black girl, I shot her the deadliest look I've given anyone in years and said "You are not going to throw that phone." She put it down, and my blood boiled. Then it happened again, ten minutes later. The younger girl literally started shedding her jacket and just about grabbed the Indian woman's hair. WTF. Occasionally a young man from somewhere else in the bus would come back and try to break up the spat, to no avail: neither woman could apparently even hear anyone else on the bus over their own idiotic, ignorant ravings.

Meanwhile, I'm in the back trying to entertain the 4 year old, who was wildly throwing his own tantrums at the iPhone he'd been given. I asked him what he was up to, he was playing Sonic Dash, a game I also enjoy, so we sat and hung out while all this shit went down and he told me how to play the game. Miraculously, when someone was paying attention to him, he was a mindful, calm little dude. I have a feeling the only reason he'd been spazzing out earlier in the first place is that no one was paying him any mind. I eventually got off the bus, told the kid he was awesome, and told him to try to stay safe. I walked past the young black woman and sternly, quietly told to her to act her age before just getting off the damn bus (she didn't even look in my direction, predictably), shaking from the fact that these two lunatics were about to go hand-to-hand combat in front of a child and a bus full of other people, over absolutely nothing but selfish pride.

tl;dr Sometimes it's hard to have faith in people.

oh and I forgot to add I was sitting there reading a book with the big bold title "JIHAD VS MCWORLD", lol

Edited by luke viia

Damn, seems like bus rides can bring out the worst in people sometimes. Sorry you had to deal with that shit Luke.

And Baph, I'm sure you and the wife will pull through. Light at the end of the tunnel, right.

Edited by ambermonk

"Fuck India!" "Fuck Africa!" "Fuckin' mail order bride!" "Hood bitch!" "Fuck your impotent husband!" "You don't even know the father of your kid!" "At least I HAVE a kid!" "Uneducated ho!" "Terrorist slum dog!"

sorry but lol