IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

yeah, sorry to hear that baph. hope you two are able to stay afloat and happy while she finds new work.

fwp: two full grown women on my bus ride home (who sat right next to me) had a terrible, infantile, racist hissy fit at each other for over 25 minutes. a young black woman with a 4-5 y/o kid asked an indian couple where they were from (apparently in a somewhat offensive manner), causing the indian woman to say "look, just fuck off, I don't want to talk to you" at which point they both started flinging ridiculously stupid, racist insults at each other ("Fuck India!" "Fuck Africa!" "Fuckin' mail order bride!" "Hood bitch!" "Fuck your impotent husband!" "You don't even know the father of your kid!" "At least I HAVE a kid!" "Uneducated ho!" "Terrorist slum dog!" etc.) More than once, the young black woman got up to literally attempt to fight the Indian woman, who had moved away from her and was reacting to all the verbal garbage, unable to just stay quiet, apparently. "You won't get the last word with me, mail order bitch!" was the reply, naturally. "You aren't going to win!" (Clearly they both lost.) When the Indian woman held her phone above her head, ready to throw it at the black girl, I shot her the deadliest look I've given anyone in years and said "You are not going to throw that phone." She put it down, and my blood boiled. Then it happened again, ten minutes later. The younger girl literally started shedding her jacket and just about grabbed the Indian woman's hair. WTF. Occasionally a young man from somewhere else in the bus would come back and try to break up the spat, to no avail: neither woman could apparently even hear anyone else on the bus over their own idiotic, ignorant ravings.

Meanwhile, I'm in the back trying to entertain the 4 year old, who was wildly throwing his own tantrums at the iPhone he'd been given. I asked him what he was up to, he was playing Sonic Dash, a game I also enjoy, so we sat and hung out while all this shit went down and he told me how to play the game. Miraculously, when someone was paying attention to him, he was a mindful, calm little dude. I have a feeling the only reason he'd been spazzing out earlier in the first place is that no one was paying him any mind. I eventually got off the bus, told the kid he was awesome, and told him to try to stay safe. I walked past the young black woman and sternly, quietly told to her to act her age before just getting off the damn bus (she didn't even look in my direction, predictably), shaking from the fact that these two lunatics were about to go hand-to-hand combat in front of a child and a bus full of other people, over absolutely nothing but selfish pride.

tl;dr Sometimes it's hard to have faith in people.

oh and I forgot to add I was sitting there reading a book with the big bold title "JIHAD VS MCWORLD", lol

Great book, read it for a class a few years ago. If anyone is interested in reading the article it's based on:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1992/03/jihad-vs-mcworld/303882/

Two FWPs: - reading Americans' comments about how a "tie game in soccer is unamerican". Or possibly my favorite: "Why did we have to hire a German, couldn't we find an American to coach the national team?" (never mind that the German in question is Jurgen Klinsmann, the 6th highest all-time World Cup scorer, who won the tournament once with West Germany, and coached Germany to third place in 2006 - he's not 'murican).

Also, the paperwork required for an unpaid internship is ridiculous.

Well, I get the "american coach" sentiment. The whole point of a national team is to represent the country, so picking a foreign coach is kind of odd. If the players have to be american, the coach should be too. (imo)

Well, I get the "american coach" sentiment. The whole point of a national team is to represent the country, so picking a foreign coach is kind of odd. If the players have to be american, the coach should be too. (imo)

Half the team has dual citizenship and many of the players play their professional football abroad. The last three managers have been American, and see how far that's gotten you? You are a nation that is ultra-competitive, and seeks out the best talent regardless of country of origin (and of course no need to remind you that the nation was built on immigration).

He's married to an American supermodel, flies helicopters for fun and lives in California. How much more American can he get?

Also this. lol

Thanks for the supportive comments everyone re: the employment thing. We'll figure it out!

Legitimately stupid problem today: I didn't sleep well last night so I ran into S'bux and ordered a latte with an extra shot for my breakfast on the run, but the nice lady who works there misheard me as ordering an "extra hot" latte. So the barrista who made it was giving me angry looks even though we've always had friendly chats, because only douchebags order lattes extra hot as it fucks with the milk flavor and more importantly can cause barrista injury. Now I feel like a bastard. But it wasn't my fault! Edit: It was too awkward to explain what happened because I didn't want the lady who took the order to feel bad because she's nice too.

He's married to an American supermodel, flies helicopters for fun and lives in California. How much more American can he get?

And the answer is none. None more american.

Edited by baph

Two FWPs: - reading Americans' comments about how a "tie game in soccer is unamerican". Or possibly my favorite: "Why did we have to hire a German, couldn't we find an American to coach the national team?" (never mind that the German in question is Jurgen Klinsmann, the 6th highest all-time World Cup scorer, who won the tournament once with West Germany, and coached Germany to third place in 2006 - he's not 'murican).

Also, the paperwork required for an unpaid internship is ridiculous.

Isn't the idealized America a bunch of different people with different backgrounds working together?

just found two ticks in my leg, freaked me out for a bit because i thought they were deer ticks but it looks like they are dog ticks.

there is a bunch of feral cats around my house so its probably them

just found two ticks in my leg, freaked me out for a bit because i thought they were deer ticks but it looks like they are dog ticks.

Man, you're flirting with disaster until you change your username. Dem spirochetes don't fuck around.

Glad they were dog ticks. If you're not sure, you should see a doctor, especially if you feel sick or get a rash (anywhere, not just at the bite location). Early treatment with antibiotics works well.

edit: not a doctor obviously, but i grew up in what should be called deerticksville.

Edited by baph

Cletus Spuckler problems I reckon.

i broke all my iPods by plugging them into my linux PC. no idea how to fix them now. *sigh* apart from reset on a regular PC.

you can run multiple OS on one pc right, would that help?

found out this absolutely gorgeous, smart, interesting Indian girl I've been talking to is married to some ponce 17 years older than her. what a crock.

I'm itching for a new laptop, and I saw a couple at the HP online store that looked promising. But I'll have to wait til October to order a new one cos I get a special annual stipend then, simply for being a resident where I live. My current one is five years old now.

found out this absolutely gorgeous, smart, interesting Indian girl I've been talking to is married to some ponce 17 years older than her. what a crock.

A couple of Murphy's laws of dating (which may be applicable to either gender):
1) All the good ones are taken.
2) If they're single, there's a reason.

(Not that I have any experience, tho)

Edited by ambermonk

Looks like it's time to kick my drug habit.

Wish me luck, WATMM.

I wish you luck limperz

What's your D.O.C? If you don't mind me asking that is.

Hey thanks, mate.

Opiates.

It's funny, I'm not a party type. Opiates are the only drug I've touched in years. And for a long time it did a really good job of chilling out my bipolar.

But lately they just make me feel numb and depressed. Time to quit*.

*But if there comes a time in the future where it appears I'm under-medicated, I will 100% choose opiates over upping my dosage of Seroquel and suffering those side-effects...blech

Guest ansgaria

I'm trying to enjoy listening to Music for Airports, but my neighbor is blasting out Carry On My Wayward Son.

Edited by Hasselbalch

I'm trying to enjoy listening to Music for Airports, but my neighbor is blasting out Carry On My Wayward Son.

Time to throw on some DJ Shitmat at full blast.

Guest ansgaria

Considering the complete disregard I have for my neighbours when I play some unnecessarily loud techno, I'm not in a position to complain.

How's that for a problem.