IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

Once got shouted at by a goth for calling One Piece 'comics', was told explicitly that it's manga, they're different things from comics, call it manga. So easily triggered, these comics people.

Book I'm 260 pages into writing has died. No longer feel much interest in it. If the idea survives, it will probably be in a different form, meaning 100,000 words scrapped. Welp.

In fact, I've done a bunch of work over the last few years and none of it has become a final thing I really believe in. Have three completed novels on my HD but nothing I feel assured in releasing. How many more times will I write something only to find out way too late it's not what I want it to be? Welp welp welp.

Now I know how Jonathan Franzen feels. Although he has millions of dollars to help him sleep at night while failing to write books.

You just need the right idea, I have one:

Scientist find out that all viruses originally stem from another outer space but before they came to earth they traveled through a gravitation field in which time passes by much slower (according to theory of relativity). Some of their brothers and sisters didn't do that and had billions of years time to develop a complex and mysterious intelligence and now set out for earth to find their primitive forebears.

Does that sound like the best selling bestseller 2017 or not?

It sounds like a best seller from 1974

I have plenty of ideas, it's simply getting them to appear as interesting as they sound in my head on paper. Often they do, often not. I still like my first book, and I feel proud at how weird it is. Has its flaws, but satisfied with it.

Book I'm 260 pages into writing has died. No longer feel much interest in it. If the idea survives, it will probably be in a different form, meaning 100,000 words scrapped. Welp.

In fact, I've done a bunch of work over the last few years and none of it has become a final thing I really believe in. Have three completed novels on my HD but nothing I feel assured in releasing. How many more times will I write something only to find out way too late it's not what I want it to be? Welp welp welp.

Now I know how Jonathan Franzen feels. Although he has millions of dollars to help him sleep at night while failing to write books.

Have you run it by an editor/another writer whose opinions you trust? Maybe you just need some guidance/outside perspective.

I haven't, but I don't think this is worth showing. Will leave it on my HD and see how I feel in time. Can always change my mind and resume from where I left off, after doing something else for a while.

Keep at it man, I've a hard drive full of fiction stuff I've plugged away on and looking back, most of it's shite, even stuff that I thought was pretty decent at the time. But there is a progression there. It's gotten better slowly but surely. Still not good, still not worth sending off. But better. And I wouldn't trade those hours 'wasted' on writing stories for anything. When I hear a tune off any of a succession of 'writing playlists' I've had over the years it instantly warps me right back to sitting at my tiny desk in my mum and dad's house when I was 16, typing out mad wee epics, instant nostalgia trip. Or wherever I've been writing since. At the end of the day, you do it for the rush, the adaptation, etc. Ideas come and go; sometimes you just have to let them bake, like a turd, and it'll drop out when it's ready. One day you will hear the sound of your bookturd splashing into the receptive bowl of a publisher's willing arms. Keep 'er lit.

Edited by Leon Sumbitches

Lately I've been digging more samples than I can pragmatically ever use. Watmm's rhythm roulette project is turning into a vinyl collection.   

Yesterday I had to hit up my boss for the company credit card (to buy a couple of lame-ass webinars > to get continuing education credits > to maintain my near-useless LEED credential).  It's in everyone's interest but it's still awkward.

After reporting all my CE hours it says I can now renew my credential (with only a day to spare before the current one runs out no less).  $85 dollar fee, payable by credit card.  Fuuu

We received a message yesterday that our local waterworks was gonna shut off the hot water from 8 am to 4 pm today. I forgot so I literally jumped into the shower at 7:59 am and then ran out as the hot water went away. Anyway, it's not 5 pm and we still don't have hot water and our radiators are cold as ice. This sucks. Life is unfair!

Everyone's writing their facebook statuses in these giant coloured boxes now and I don't understand it.  It upsets me.

Yeah, what is that? I'm scared.

You just need the right idea, I have one:

Scientist find out that all viruses originally stem from another outer space but before they came to earth they traveled through a gravitation field in which time passes by much slower (according to theory of relativity). Some of their brothers and sisters didn't do that and had billions of years time to develop a complex and mysterious intelligence and now set out for earth to find their primitive forebears.

Does that sound like the best selling bestseller 2017 or not?

It sounds like a best seller from 1974

I have plenty of ideas, it's simply getting them to appear as interesting as they sound in my head on paper. Often they do, often not. I still like my first book, and I feel proud at how weird it is. Has its flaws, but satisfied with it.

Have you run it by an editor/another writer whose opinions you trust? Maybe you just need some guidance/outside perspective.

I haven't, but I don't think this is worth showing. Will leave it on my HD and see how I feel in time. Can always change my mind and resume from where I left off, after doing something else for a while.

Keep at it man, I've a hard drive full of fiction stuff I've plugged away on and looking back, most of it's shite, even stuff that I thought was pretty decent at the time. But there is a progression there. It's gotten better slowly but surely. Still not good, still not worth sending off. But better. And I wouldn't trade those hours 'wasted' on writing stories for anything. When I hear a tune off any of a succession of 'writing playlists' I've had over the years it instantly warps me right back to sitting at my tiny desk in my mum and dad's house when I was 16, typing out mad wee epics, instant nostalgia trip. Or wherever I've been writing since. At the end of the day, you do it for the rush, the adaptation, etc. Ideas come and go; sometimes you just have to let them bake, like a turd, and it'll drop out when it's ready. One day you will hear the sound of your bookturd splashing into the receptive bowl of a publisher's willing arms. Keep 'er lit.

I am, luckily I have fun and feel satisfied regardless of where the material ends up. In fact, a novel I shelved has given me an idea for a sequel, which is far more weird and interesting than its precursor, so it's not all a waste. Maybe I can just call these rejects 'first drafts'.

And I have to get a good splash in the bowls of an agent first, let alone publisher. I do wonder how sellable most of my ideas are. I don't think the market is exactly open for a story where a detective tries to rescue a child held hostage by his own imaginary friend. :nacmat:

After a few years of not paying any attention to my calorie intake, I did the math and figured out I eat too damn much.

SFWP: I just spent $12 for a meal of burger, fries, and drink at Five Guys and it was absolutely boring and I hate that gave them my money. Twice I've gone there and wasted my money, never again. Sad!

After a few years of not paying any attention to my calorie intake, I did the math and figured out I eat too damn much.

Many (first world) humans do.

I am, luckily I have fun and feel satisfied regardless of where the material ends up. In fact, a novel I shelved has given me an idea for a sequel, which is far more weird and interesting than its precursor, so it's not all a waste. Maybe I can just call these rejects 'first drafts'.

And I have to get a good splash in the bowls of an agent first, let alone publisher. I do wonder how sellable most of my ideas are. I don't think the market is exactly open for a story where a detective tries to rescue a child held hostage by his own imaginary friend. :nacmat:

When I originally replied asking about if you'd gotten help from an editor or writer, I meant your 'old' novels more than the new one...but it could be equally good if you're getting new ideas based on the old ideas. Not sure where in the 'becoming a real writer!' process finding an agent comes from, but I imagine it's one of the first things to do, for sure. One writer I heard speak a few years ago just actually contacted an agent on Twitter and asked her about it and boom, she was being published soon after. Good luck on it!

And honestly that's exactly the sort of books that are often out there...an 'established' style (detective rescuing a child) with a twist. Just gotta have an angle/gimmick/whatever and it could surely take.

I spent a day's worth of work in between more pressing work mixing and sound designing a 1:45 minute animation only to have the client decide to scrap all the music and sound design I did. They want voice over as the sole audio. That's the first time that's ever happened to me.

I spent a day's worth of work in between more pressing work mixing and sound designing a 1:45 minute animation only to have the client decide to scrap all the music and sound design I did. They want voice over as the sole audio. That's the first time that's ever happened to me.

lol - clients are the worst.

It's so strange since they essentially paid for nothing!

It's so strange since they essentially paid for nothing!

I have to figure out a client. I had someone change their opinion 4 times until they settled on a tune I did. I listened to their references, I made something that I actually thought was pretty cool, but they kept saying, "do you think it can be more like this? Oh, how about this?!"

But to be honest, I love all my clients. They're all super nice and respectful... but I was actually contacted by someone last summer. A company that does online banking. They're fairly new to the market but they're doing really well. Anyway, I was put in contact with the product owner and he had no idea what he wanted. He just kept saying, "I want the sound design to be cool and nice. Do you use a Mac? Good! If you were a pc user I would have kicked you out. Ok, so I want the sound design to be cool and nice. No Windows sounds".

So I sent them a bunch of tests and he hated it. I then did something else. I made it super minimalistic. This time he didn't hate it, but he still didn't love it. He then wanted me to add the sound of banknotes(????). I ended up adding the sound of coin flips and banknotes. He then selected a couple of sound effects that he liked and asked me to convert them to m4a and ogg. I did that and I never heard back from the company. I have no idea if they ended up using the sounds because I can't access the part of the app where my sounds would be used because I don't have an account.

I can't decide whether or not I should contact them and ask them for my money?

He then selected a couple of sound effects that he liked and asked me to convert them to m4a and ogg.

Haha, wtf!

I'd email them an invoice saying that interest will be added for every month they are late. They're a bank, so they should be cool with that.

He then selected a couple of sound effects that he liked and asked me to convert them to m4a and ogg.

Haha, wtf!

I'd email them an invoice saying that interest will be added for every month they are late. They're a bank, so they should be cool with that.

Yeah, I think I'll contact them tomorrow... it's been about 8 months since I heard from them. Fucking bastards. Now I'm just getting pissed thinking about it.

Personally, I bill clients based on the amount of time it took me, not on if they used it or not.

I've even put stuff on my resume for things that I wasn't paid for or they didn't use because fuck them. I did it so I should get the credit.

SFWP: I just spent $12 for a meal of burger, fries, and drink at Five Guys and it was absolutely boring and I hate that gave them my money. Twice I've gone there and wasted my money, never again. Sad!

Many (first world) humans do.

When I originally replied asking about if you'd gotten help from an editor or writer, I meant your 'old' novels more than the new one...but it could be equally good if you're getting new ideas based on the old ideas. Not sure where in the 'becoming a real writer!' process finding an agent comes from, but I imagine it's one of the first things to do, for sure. One writer I heard speak a few years ago just actually contacted an agent on Twitter and asked her about it and boom, she was being published soon after. Good luck on it!

And honestly that's exactly the sort of books that are often out there...an 'established' style (detective rescuing a child) with a twist. Just gotta have an angle/gimmick/whatever and it could surely take.

Getting an agent is either having a foot in the door or incredible luck of having the agent give a shit on the day you send them a sample (and also your sample being something they like). Contact on twitter ended with one agent blocking me! All I did was ask 'are you accepting manuscript submissions'.

Tough crowd.