IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

yes, if it's WiFi and the signal is weak because of the distance, get an extender. I use one and it's a necessity if you're on another floor from your router. they're not that pricey and will help way more than any runaround with your ISP, if you have a decent plan already.

Edited by usagi

yes, if it's WiFi and the signal is weak because of the distance, get an extender. I use one and it's a necessity if you're on another floor from your router. they're not that pricey and will help way more than any runaround with your ISP, if you have a decent plan already.

are they complicated?

nope. most of them you just plug in at a spot you think is appropriate, in terms of picking up a clear signal and passing it on as far as it needs to get to. then you can configure them to by pushing a few buttons. there's usually a quick start guide that lays out simple instructions.

have you got a powerpoint in the right spot, though?

dude the wall plug thing. i think they're called powerline adapters. i use two across my house and the connection is fine

which one are you using?

Powerline adapters are the shit. It does have hiccups from time to time, which mightn't be the adapters' fault, but from wifi to this my connection is now 10x faster. Mines are from Netgear btw.

Powerline adapters are the shit. It does have hiccups from time to time, which mightn't be the adapters' fault, but from wifi to this my connection is now 10x faster. Mines are from Netgear btw.

Same, I got adviced not to use them by a friend who is an expert on that stuff. I ignored him and still bought a sitecom one and it works unbelievably well. It drops out from time to time but no real big issues.

Same, I got adviced not to use them by a friend who is an expert on that stuff

Why is that ? Does it mess too much with the current ?

Same, I got adviced not to use them by a friend who is an expert on that stuff
Why is that ? Does it mess too much with the current ?

I'm not really sure what he was on about but I think it's because it's quite a temporary half-solution as opposed to pulling a few wires through the house. You still end up with a wire in your laptop and it's still not as good as a direct connection (and they are relatively expensive compared to just a wire or two).

ok, it appears that they have a powerline adaptor upstairs, right above where i want the internet and it's not working, would it help to put one in my place too, in the basement?

if you're going to do powerline adapters you'd probably only want multiple units of all the same model on the same circuit (they might interfere with each other otherwise). I have four of them at home (1 hub and three receivers, TP-LINK-AV1200), they work very well when they work (good latency and much better bandwidth than wifi), though they relatively frequently just stop working and I have to reset the ethernet adapter in Windows (this happens several times a week - it would be unacceptable for me if it was for my main machine, but it's just for connections in my kitchen and two bedrooms).

Edited by caze

if you're going to do powerline adapters you'd probably only want multiple units of all the same model on the same circuit (they might interfere with each other otherwise). I have four of them at home (1 hub and three receivers, TP-LINK-AV1200), they work very well when they work (good latency and much better bandwidth than wifi), though they relatively frequently just stop working and I have to reset the ethernet adapter in Windows (this happens several times a week - it would be unacceptable for me if it was for my main machine, but it's just for connections in my kitchen and two bedrooms).

i have a really low signal in my living room. would it help to put one downstairs where i live?

you want to plug the base unit directly into your router (i.e. connected with an ethernet cable), then the other units go in whatever room you need them. I use cables on the receiving end as well, but you can get models that work as wifi extenders (the one I mentioned before has no wifi), but even then you'd plug the base unit directly into the router for best results.

Phone is starting to act up. Not sure why. Even though I have the sound enabled I no longer get sound for text messages and other notifications.

Firefox was being retarded on it too. Kept interrupting prior apps I was using going to the same web page every time, so i uninstalled it.

i keep getting sucked into working on my days off. wanted to have a fat day today but just spent 2 hours appraising materials for a homeowner and scheduling jobs.  :catface:

need to interject a FWS into this: thank you to the good people in this thread that mentioned powerline adapters, didn't know that was a thing. need those in my life ASAP

Woke up late and found that all my clothes are still in the washer, soaked. Another co-worker called in sick, so no one is opening the shop and im naked