IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

12 hours ago, timbre monke said:

I think all that muscle mass I gained from the gym has slowly been getting replaced by fat since hunkering down. All the gyms are closed though, and I don't have any exercise equipment at home.

Oh well. Just gotta hit the gym like a mf once I'm back on a regular work schedule.

hi

• Burger 1

I think the song I'm working on might be outside my abilities as a vocalist.  If not delivered well, it will just sound extremely annoying.  Not looking forward to banging my head against the wall in the days to come.

Just now, Zephyr_Nova said:

I think the song I'm working on might be outside my abilities as a vocalist.  If not delivered well, it will just sound extremely annoying.  Not looking forward to banging my head against the wall in the days to come.

singing is hard. cheat! there's software for fixing things. 

one producer i worked with would give this one singer a couple shots of nice tequila.. anejo i think it was.. and let her smoke a cigarette or two to warm up. i think mostly she loosened up and would sing out in a less self conscious way. 

• Like 1

Software will not fix the things I'd need in this case.  it's 100% the tone and conviction with which it's sung that's going to count.  The notes I can hit accurately no prob, although there's one part where it goes from quite high to quite low which IS a bit more challenging than the usual in that regard.  If sung right it will be powerful, and if it misses the mark even a little bit it will sound embarrassing.  The tequilla shots are actually a great idea.  That should relax my throat, in a way that a cold drink wouldn't.  I might take that suggestion!

Right now my throat tightens up when I just think of singing it... which is bizarre.  Might be some psychological thing going on.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

2 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Software will not fix the things I'd need in this case.  it's 100% the tone and conviction with which it's sung that's going to count.  The notes I can hit accurately no prob, although there's one part where it goes from quite high to quite low which IS a bit more challenging than the usual in that regard.  If sung right it will be powerful, and if it misses the mark even a little bit it will sound embarrassing.  The tequilla shots are actually a great idea.  That should relax my throat, in a way that a cold drink wouldn't.  I might take that suggestion!

Right now my throat tightens up when I just think of singing it... which is bizarre.  Might be some psychological thing going on.

so much is a head fuck right? i mean.. half of it is just knowing you can do it and surrendering to the facts. i don't sing or play an instrument in any conventional way but being on the engineer side of it i've recorded some singers and pretty much every session i'd tell the singer.. rapper whoever.. that "we're just going to set levels and do a rough take so don't worry about being perfect" and i'd always put the machine into record and not tell them because sometimes it'd be the best take. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 3:37 PM, milkface said:

Oh my fucking christ my fucking neighbour is still using a chainsaw to cut his tree down chunk by chunk, he's been doing it on and off for two cunting weeks. SHUT THE FUCK UP FOR CHRISTS SAKE YOU'RE GIVING EVERYONE IN THE STREET A MIGRAINE. WHY IS YOUR CHAINSAW SO LOUD??????? STFUUUUUUU. I CAN'T EVEN IGNORE IT IT'S TOO HOT TO HAVE THE WINDOWS SHUT I AM GOING INSANE IF IT WAS FOR AN AFTERNOON ITS FINE BUT IT'S BEEN TWO WEEKS HOW DOES IT TAKE TWO WEEKS TO CUT A TREE DOWN STOP

Aaaaand he's back. Steve if you're reading this I am shitting through your letterbox as I type this.

Edited by milkface
  • Farnsworth 1

11 hours ago, ignatius said:

so much is a head fuck right? i mean.. half of it is just knowing you can do it and surrendering to the facts. i don't sing or play an instrument in any conventional way but being on the engineer side of it i've recorded some singers and pretty much every session i'd tell the singer.. rapper whoever.. that "we're just going to set levels and do a rough take so don't worry about being perfect" and i'd always put the machine into record and not tell them because sometimes it'd be the best take. 

That is a good method - get them before they're self-conscious about it.  With this song, I need to figure out the right way to sing it, and I can tell that's going to take a while (I'll probably sing it through at least 50 times, listening back each time to see what works and what doesn't.  I would not even attempt a song like this if I were paying for studio time.  Luckily I charge myself nothing, so I can spend all day with it).  How long were doing the studio engineer thing?

3 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

That is a good method - get them before they're self-conscious about it.  With this song, I need to figure out the right way to sing it, and I can tell that's going to take a while (I'll probably sing it through at least 50 times, listening back each time to see what works and what doesn't.  I would not even attempt a song like this if I were paying for studio time.  Luckily I charge myself nothing, so I can spend all day with it).  How long were doing the studio engineer thing?

5 years or so. i'd have done it longer but 9/11 happened and the 6 months of lock outs the studio had booked were cancelled. so i hustled on my own for a while but ended up finding a 9-5 job w/benefits for decent pay which was less stressful. freelance life can be a real stressor and for audio stuff is a hustle you have to stay on top of which didn't suit me. it's funny.. right when i got the 9-5 job the phone rang for a gig that would've been a level up type scenario but by then i was over it and had already mentally moved on. i learned a lot and worked w/some really great and talented people... but also the flip side of that. 

I hear ya.  I've done (still do) the freelance thing, but I don't really hustle a lot.  Just get a lot of repeat clients, and now do delivery stuff on the side.  This combined with having found a place with crazy cheap rent has kept my cost of living done, so that most of my time can be devoted to working on my own music, despite barely making any money.  Bit worried about the day where I'm old and have no pension coming in... but I'm also lacking in common sense, so haven't taken any measures to prevent it happening. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

This combined with having found a place with crazy cheap rent has kept my cost of living done, so that most of my time can be devoted to working on my own music, despite barely making any money.

*just realized this sentence is confusing... my SFWP is lacking the brainpower right now to edit it into what I actually meant... and I'm very distracted by this King Gizzard album.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 6:28 PM, timbre monke said:

I think all that muscle mass I gained from the gym has slowly been getting replaced by fat since hunkering down. All the gyms are closed though, and I don't have any exercise equipment at home.

Oh well. Just gotta hit the gym like a mf once I'm back on a regular work schedule.

I panic bought gym equipment right before. I already had an exercise bike but I also got a resistance bands with handles, a pair of push up handles and a 0-60kg grip trainer. As for other exercises I've been improvising. I made a DIY barbell by attaching big paint pots to either end of a wooden pole I had in the garage. It's not ideal but my muscle mass is staying the same if not getting a bit greater over time because of this ?

1 hour ago, milkface said:

I made a DIY barbell by attaching big paint pots to either end of a wooden pole I had in the garage. It's not ideal but my muscle mass is staying the same if not getting a bit greater over time because of this ?

Nice. I got a similar setup. A wooden bar and two automobile tires with steel rims on both sides. Next on the list is to make an incline 'chair' or whatever is it called. Also empty stove gas cylinder and a big vise as dumbbells. You gotta improvise ?

• Like 1

lol someone marked it as spam within seconds of me posting that, putting my inbox back to 6000.  But I unmarked it as spam, because it wasn't (guy released some music of mine years ago).

Also... been singing that song all day, haven't eaten, and have a headache that I believe is likely connected to those last two things.

My cat brought in a live mouse into the house which subsequently scurried into a small hole in the wall in the kitchen. In the middle of the night it came out and ate some of my pear and shat on the amazon alexa :(

• Haha 4

Still not got it out (I assume it's afraid of any noises of people in the kitchen), so I've put the pear in the middle of the room, and have my phone livestreaming in the kitchen and I'm watching it on facebook messenger on my mum's phone so I know when it's come out. Been over 24 hours now ?

Edited by milkface
  • Farnsworth 1

Get to work and first thing I notice is a toilet seat with dried shit on it. I mean, how? I know how but c'mon. Explosive shit and I think i know who it was.

Someone down the street has offered to give me one of those humane mouse traps so hopefully I'll be able to put the mouse back in the garden. Weird thing is that I'm surprised it's not dead, basically got stabbed by my cat's teeth as it picked it up mulltiple times with his mouth.

I want to use itunes to put some music on my goddamn iphone but I can't because my mbp is running sierra and my phone runs ios 13 and I have to upgrade to fucking catalina to be able to have my retarded computer recognize my shitfucking phone. All I wanna do is listen to the favphex soundcloud playlist I made. Seems there is also no easy way to export the playlist plus associated files and throw them into icloud or something. Really gets on my tits how some of the most basic shit is so complicated with apple if you don't upgrade to the latest os. Cuntwankers.

I want to use itunes to put some music on my goddamn iphone but I can't because my mbp is running sierra and my phone runs ios 13 and I have to upgrade to fucking catalina to be able to have my retarded computer recognize my shitfucking phone. All I wanna do is listen to the favphex soundcloud playlist I made. Seems there is also no easy way to export the playlist plus associated files and throw them into icloud or something. Really gets on my tits how some of the most basic shit is so complicated with apple if you don't upgrade to the latest os. Cuntwankers.

1 minute ago, user said:

• Burger 1

3 hours ago, milkface said:

Someone down the street has offered to give me one of those humane mouse traps so hopefully I'll be able to put the mouse back in the garden. Weird thing is that I'm surprised it's not dead, basically got stabbed by my cat's teeth as it picked it up mulltiple times with his mouth.

Use some peanut butter or a Snickers bar for bait, and it's gonna nosedive into it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, manmower said:

I want to use itunes to put some music on my goddamn iphone but I can't because my mbp is running sierra and my phone runs ios 13 and I have to upgrade to fucking catalina to be able to have my retarded computer recognize my shitfucking phone. All I wanna do is listen to the favphex soundcloud playlist I made. Seems there is also no easy way to export the playlist plus associated files and throw them into icloud or something. Really gets on my tits how some of the most basic shit is so complicated with apple if you don't upgrade to the latest os. Cuntwanker goddamn iphone but I can't because my mbp is running sierra and my phone runs ios 13 and I have to upgrade to fucking catalina to be able to have my retarded computer recognize my shitfuckins.

842610211_ScreenShot2020-04-16at16_51_42.thumb.png.c5a3d255db809840012f819fba948806.png

nt to use itunes to put some music on my goddamn iphone but I can't because my mbp is running sierra and my phone runs ios 13 and I have to upgrade to fucking catalina to be able to have my retarded computer recognize my shitfucking phone. All I wanna do is listen to the favphex soundcloud playlist I made. Seems there is also no easy way to export the playlist plus associated files and throw them ter recognize my shitfucking phone. All I wanna do is listen to the favphex soundcloud playlist I made. Seems there is also no easy way to export the playlist plus associated files and throw them into icloud or something. Really gets on my tits how some of the most basic shit is so complicated with apple if you don't upgrade to the latest os. Cuntwankers.

I want to use itunes to put some m

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 16.28.52.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, IDEM said:

Use some peanut butter or a Snickers bar for bait, and it's gonna nosedive into it.

Yeah I put some peanut butter in there and laid the trap now so that I can hopefully get it today rather than it being stuck in the trap all night which would be sad.