IGNORED

The consequences of a new Aphex Twin album

hardcode

Hey guys so I was thinking last night (as I always do because I'm so smart), what are the consequences of a new aphex twin album. Electronic music now with dubstep and people like Skrillex in all these huge interview for spin magazine and all that crap, talking about how he liked "anything on warp" and mentions squarepusher and richard d james (not sure why he just didnt say rephlex if he wasnt going to mention anyone else on warp but anyway), aphex twin already had a pretty big profile and im sure that is a factor in his decisions not to release good music simply because too many idiotic assholes would hear it, i wonder if this is even more intense of an issue for him now.

Because if he were to release a new lp, how many people like Skrillex would instantly be all over it and start biting and incorporating this into his dubstep which then is broadcast to millions of american sheep, bye-bye aphex twin. All the dubstep robots who look to Skrillex as the man would also remeber he mentioned aphex twin and also start biting him. It would be an epic collapse of a main cornerstone of underground electronic progressive music.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If drukqs is anything to go by people will go meh and praise it ten years later.

Mmmm there could be a bit of truth in this.

I guess the answer is to ditch the name Aphex Twin.

The Tuss was an experiment in that I believe in the same vein that Syntheme was by Global Goon.

I think it'll really go a marmite direction when "critiqued" or reviewed and then promptly look daft (the original drukqs reviews clearly not understanding the album at all).

Personally I can't wait, everything I've been hearing is an amalgamation of ICBYD, the SAW series and some Tuss licks :music:

Hey guys so I was thinking last night (as I always do because I'm so smart), what are the consequences of a new aphex twin album. Electronic music now with dubstep and people like Skrillex in all these huge interview for spin magazine and all that crap, talking about how he liked "anything on warp" and mentions squarepusher and richard d james (not sure why he just didnt say rephlex if he wasnt going to mention anyone else on warp but anyway), aphex twin already had a pretty big profile and im sure that is a factor in his decisions not to release good music simply because too many idiotic assholes would hear it, i wonder if this is even more intense of an issue for him now.

Because if he were to release a new lp, how many people like Skrillex would instantly be all over it and start biting and incorporating this into his dubstep which then is broadcast to millions of american sheep, bye-bye aphex twin. All the dubstep robots who look to Skrillex as the man would also remeber he mentioned aphex twin and also start biting him. It would be an epic collapse of a main cornerstone of underground electronic progressive music.

Uh, no. That hasn't happened since the Richard D James Album days, and even though mainstream music is more electronic than ever these days, I highly doubt whatever Richard has in store for us is going to filter through that quickly into the mainstream, even if adopted by poseurs. That, or whatever he releases next will be so far ahead, it will take about 10 years or so before anyone wraps their head around it and understand it to the point of being able to emulate or build off the idea.

Skrillex is an aberration, and one that hopefully will fade quickly.

In more positive news, it looks like Richard has recovered quickly from his divorce based on his show's visuals in that last YouTube video of his Manchester performance! :cool:

Guest Kenneth172

Comparing Skrillex with Aphex is a bit like comparing dining at an a la carte restaurant to eating shite from McDonalds. Sorry but it's not as though the world is waiting for that next Aphex release so all the artistes will study it and copy. Granted some will because we all know of his influence and others can't think for themselves. But it's a bit insulting to every other musician out there that they'll simply plagiarise his next release.

Dude first of all i didn't compare skrillex with aphex, wtf? I mentioned skrillex cause he referenced aphex twin in a huge-profile interview with SPIN magazine which is basically read by anyone into mainstream music. Combine that with the fact that so many young "up and coming" producers look to dubstep and artists like skrillex, and what do you have, a bunch of tools who got the new aphex twin album and make dubstep from it. obviously this does not include "every other musician out there", not sure how you came to that.

Guest MortstoX

Yes Skrillex is the very first shitty mainstream artist who samples sub-mainstream artists and therefore he will ruin bye bye Afex Twins. :wtf:

And also: Why do you always compare Skrillex and Afx? Stop making that big face!

im just trying to have a decent conversation about why richard d james might not want to release a new album, but thanks for your afex twins emoticon lols so funneee btw nice trolling attempt

also since when did aphex twin become "sub mainstream", wtf

i am getting the feelin that it is some kind of illconceived notion around here that if you're into aphex twin, yo're into some kind of elite underground shit? cause that's completely false.

Guest Kenneth172

Dude first of all i didn't compare skrillex with aphex, wtf? I mentioned skrillex cause he referenced aphex twin in a huge-profile interview with SPIN magazine which is basically read by anyone into mainstream music. Combine that with the fact that so many young "up and coming" producers look to dubstep and artists like skrillex, and what do you have, a bunch of tools who got the new aphex twin album and make dubstep from it. obviously this does not include "every other musician out there", not sure how you came to that.

So what you're saying is producers might look to dubstep and Aphex for inspiration because Skrillex mentioned Aphex in interviews? I still can't see how that would be "an epic collapse of a main cornerstone of underground electronic progressive music". Just thought you seemed to be making a bit of a sweeping statement there. What Aphex puts out next remains to be seen/heard in any case. No point speculating on the consequences until it actually happens.

i am getting the feelin that it is some kind of illconceived notion around here that if you're into aphex twin, yo're into some kind of elite underground shit? cause that's completely false.

To some people, 'elite' might be true, he's not mainstream though is he?

What RDJ does isn't easily emulated. There's not one particular sound that can be pinned down that people can use that would sound like him, so I don't think it's a problem.

Also, there won't be another Aphex Twin album so it's all beside the point.

So what you're saying is producers might look to dubstep and Aphex for inspiration because Skrillex mentioned Aphex in interviews? I still can't see how that would be "an epic collapse of a main cornerstone of underground electronic progressive music". Just thought you seemed to be making a bit of a sweeping statement there. What Aphex puts out next remains to be seen/heard in any case. No point speculating on the consequences until it actually happens.

Why do you have to take everything so literally and contest it with such adamance? Somehow you manage to take things literally yet at the same time out of context. You need to consider the current state of popular electronic, production, warez, the internet, cheap thrills, and all the young people who support these things. It goes without saying that it is HUGE. What kid hasn't been to a rave? What kid hasn't heard of warez? What kid hasn't done e? What kid doesn't make the natural trendy connection between these things and want to boost their online ego and real world dj skillz to the max?

Like I said I'm just trying to strike up a normal conversation here.

Also, talking is pointless cause you can't tell the future.

Guest CapriBuddha

I'd say if the new album is a development of the Tuss, it'll be so complex and idiosyncratic that no producer could possibly incorporate its ideas into their own sound in a natural way. And I doubt there will be any obvious big ideas or innovations that could be easily stolen, unlike say, Burial's use of manipulated vocal samples (and I'm not saying no producer ever used manipulated vocals before Burial, just that Burial's use of them influenced many other producers).

Surely Richard would find the results of any copying rather comical? I think his sense of humour would see the funny side of it. I doubt he would get all pissy about it and throw all his toys out the pram.

The consequences of a new aphex album would be: lots of bonners

I've only heard about 4 minutes total of skrillex, but couldn't see much aphex influence in it?

So I don't see any problems.

of course he wouldn't get pissy about it he's rich (as in has a lot of money). but i get the feeling richard d james is one of those artists that is very sensitive about their work. he's stated similar things in various interviews and if you've read any of them you definitely get the sense that he's not out to please people. he comes across to me as someone who doesnt take kindly to people biting him. Didn't he refuse to have his picture taken with venetian snares or something? Regardless that's kind of beside the point. The point is that his new LP if it ever does materialize, will be much more broadly heard and tons of people who never heard aphex before or bothered are going to get it or listen to it, by the nature of the internet and palces like bleep that will spam the shit out of it cause these days companies like that are doing anthing to crawl out of the recession ("THIS IS THE APHEX TWIN'S NEW ALBUM, LEGENDARY ELECTRONIC ARTIST BLAH BLAH BLAH"). Sure that could be looked at as a good thing, but this isn't 10-15 years ago. This is 2011 when dubstep is the new metal and every 12 year old has a laptop, a copy of fruity loops/ableton and skrillex on the radio. Skrillex's production is irrelevant, it's his status as a mainstream artist and what he says in interviews that is linking mainstream idiots to underground art that they never would have bothered checking out themselves, but now do so through mainstream-proxy.

Archived