IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

Been watching Utopia on C4 over here. First episode was brilliant, 2nd ep (last night) was OK but not as good as the first.

Premise / mass spoilers / story so far:

Post-cold war "network" of scientists / engineers / officials not linked to any particular country / religion do a load of chemical experiments, invent loads of stuff like BSE, Flu etc... One of the scientists has enough and decides to quit... the rest of the scientists have him sectioned to a mental hospital where he writes a graphic novel explaining his role in the group. It is not taken as serious but ends up being a best selling works of fiction.

Current day fans of the novel find out about a volume 2 of the works, the original manuscript exists and the "network" are chasing it down to stop their secrets being revealed. The daughter of the rogue scientist leads an annoying welsh bird, a black IT guy, a muslim geek chap (who is tortured effectively in EP1 and ends up partially blinded) and a 11 year old chav kid to track down the manuscript and stop it from falling into the networks hands.

Another story is unfolding at the same time, revolving around an outbreak of russian flu and government corruption.

Good stuff so far.

Tales from the Crypt, and lots of it.

just watched the one with joe pesci and the twins. lol great one

wtf? i watched that one about 3 days ago too. i mentioned to my gf that they looked like thinner-yellow-teethed versions of julia roberts. are you hiding out @ my place?

I've been watching Wallander, a detective show based on a Swedish series of novels (so I'm led to believe) with all the major roles inexplicably played by Englishmen, the lead being Kenneth Branagh. Not bad, well lensed and very slow so my wife can keep up (hehe)

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

YES!

I started watching the west wing last night. never really seen it before. pilot was solid introduction to the characters. i especially enjoyed the introduction to Cj(?) on the tredmill

Edited by Jimmy McMessageboard

Been watching Utopia on C4 over here. First episode was brilliant, 2nd ep (last night) was OK but not as good as the first.

Premise / mass spoilers / story so far:

Post-cold war "network" of scientists / engineers / officials not linked to any particular country / religion do a load of chemical experiments, invent loads of stuff like BSE, Flu etc... One of the scientists has enough and decides to quit... the rest of the scientists have him sectioned to a mental hospital where he writes a graphic novel explaining his role in the group. It is not taken as serious but ends up being a best selling works of fiction.

Current day fans of the novel find out about a volume 2 of the works, the original manuscript exists and the "network" are chasing it down to stop their secrets being revealed. The daughter of the rogue scientist leads an annoying welsh bird, a black IT guy, a muslim geek chap (who is tortured effectively in EP1 and ends up partially blinded) and a 11 year old chav kid to track down the manuscript and stop it from falling into the networks hands.

Another story is unfolding at the same time, revolving around an outbreak of russian flu and government corruption.

Good stuff so far.

Yeah still held my interest but it wasn't as fun as the first one.

Guest Frankie5fingers

just finished Cowboy Bebop.....again. ive proabably watched this show a hundred times and every time is as good as the last. absolutely outstanding.

wtf? i watched that one about 3 days ago too. i mentioned to my gf that they looked like thinner-yellow-teethed versions of julia roberts. are you hiding out @ my place?

we're.... twins.

Guest RadarJammer

From the first episode of Utopia I thought it would be a fun silly little show but the second episode was flatter than ghost town sarsaparilla thats been sittin gin the desert sun for 2 days

sort of curious about Fringe, is it paying homage to the X-files in a classy way or is it an overt ripoff of the series? I've heard different things from people telling me to watch it/not watch it. Without bothering to download a torrent, can i watch this on netflix or hulu or something?

I started watching it recently, skipped season 1 and started up with season 2, I don't think I missed anything important, you get filled in along the way. So far my conclusion is that this show is frustrating but worth watching if you can't find any other shows to watch. There main story arcs are interesting and kind of pull me in even though they aren't executed all that well but they throw in so many throwaway filler episodes that the actors and the story loose their steam and even the interesting episodes sort of feel like they are all just going through the motions, acting-wise. The action sequences are the worst thing about this show, they are obviously put together by a highschool film class.

Edited by RadarJammer

i started at the pilot and made my way to episode 4. It's a surprisingly entertaining show. I like how it's totally not like the x-files so far and how they mashup so many different odd concepts per episode. I loled when they mad scientist character said he was self medicating with DXM he made in his own lab.

The action scenes are pretty bad though, it sort of reminds me of how the original series of star trek was punctuated by all this really cheesy Western style fighting

so far the show has pulled me in. The pilot episode was tricky though, way too long and had all this re-used musical cues from big films like Aliens, Signs and others. Really jarring to hear such notable music being used from other films.

yeah it was the most recognizable cue too, the one from the aliens trailer with the metal clanking. Probably the single most famous James Horner track . Must have been only for the pilot though, and it's possible the version of the Piliot i have is a pre-release version with temp cues. If it's not its pretty hilarious and cheesy.

Edited by Awepittance

wow i didn't know they could do that.

been trying to get into doctor who, for like the fourth or fifth time. there's always a girl who is really into doctor who and needs me to be. i'm done with it though. i'm just not into this shit at all.

also started watching justified, which is enjoyable in a laid back way. somehow timothy olyphant works very well in this whereas in deadwood he was a definite weak link.

just finished Cowboy Bebop.....again. ive proabably watched this show a hundred times and every time is as good as the last. absolutely outstanding.

I've been trying to make a shortlist of anime series to watch (Last Exile is the only series I've seen in entirety) and Cowboy Bebop is up there.

i tried to watch torchwood but it fucking sucks. the actor that plays capt jack harkness is awful.

He's like doing a Tom Cruise impression all the time.

This will make up for it:

As much as I liked Torchwood it's been years since I've seen it and tbh I don't know if I'd watch it as enthusiastically now. Demons was pretty meh. I do enjoy Grim though. I also need to pick up on watching Being Human, the first season was excellent.

Edited by joshuatx

Guest Frankie5fingers

I've been trying to make a shortlist of anime series to watch (Last Exile is the only series I've seen in entirety) and Cowboy Bebop is up there.

make sure you watch Ghost in The Shell. another great series.

a couple others that i really liked were FMA: Brotherhood, Requiem From the Darkness, Chrono Crusade, Gurren Lagann, Gundam, Tokko, Monster, Big O, Casshern Sins, Deadman wonder land, Durarara!!, Naruto, and Naruto Shippuden.

ive been trying to get into Bleach cause people keep telling me its awesome but i don't really like it that much. itll have a good episode here or there but is full of painstaking story arcs.

ok so i eventually understood why people accuse Fringe of being an x-files ripoff. The first 4 or so episodes seemed fairly original and once it got to the episode about the psychic electro energy guy who crashed the elevator it seemed straight out of the x-files. Specifically reminded me of the episode about the lightning kid or Hungry from season 7, where they make the audience empathize with the cannibal fast food worker. I hope there aren't many other episodes riffing so heavily off x-files, the show is much stronger when it carves it's own path

Guest RadarJammer

about half or more of the episodes in season 2 were standalone "freak/monster/anomaly of the week" with usually no reference at all to the main plot lines. s02e11 is an episode that filmed during season 1 and includes a different set and a character that's supposed to be dead, they just threw it into season 2 for no good reason so I would skip it. If X-Files were made by a dry as wood Fox executive who got episode ideas from talking to his 6 and 11 year old children at the dinner table.

we're.... twins.

i see what you did there

Guest RadarJammer

ugh halfway through season 3 of fringe and i'm not sure I can take this romance between the two leads plot thread any longer. anyone who watched this all the way through, does this shit keep going and going? I'ts not a very believable and doesn't even make sense