IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

yeah honestly that's a pretty good place to stop at, and if you are having Dexter cravings skip ahead to season 8, a major plot developments takes place that makes the show marginally more entertaining than it has been since season 1 or 2

i ended up just reading the plot synopsis on wikipedia when i came back to dexter and realised it was up to season 7, i finished watching about 3 episodes into season 3 a few years back. im pretty glad i didnt bother watching it.

I'm not sure I should continue with this one. I think the whole Rita death was a big mistake. It just seems like it's all of a sudden lost its spark that made me continue to watch it. I hope it doesn't stay like this.

Question to the US: Has the 3rd series of Treme been aired yet over there? It's probably the only season I'm looking forward to the next season on. I think Sky Atlantic will probably show it soon after you guys get it. Oh, and Breaking Bad but I'm putting that out of my mind for now.

I never got Portlandia. I tried watching the first couple episodes of the first season and it seemed like the most unfunny try-hard shit. Apparently people from Portland *get it*, but I dunno, did nothing for me at all.

Ah well.

I'm in portland right now and although i 'get' some of the humor more than i did before, the show is still very average and repetative. Like a notch above current one-note sketch comedy shows like SNL

can only watch it in snippets, 30 minutes is too tiring for me - I treat the whole series like a collection of decent youtube sketches

Portlandia is so silly, i love it. Not every sketch is a winner (there is always a few stinkers) but overall i enjoy the fuck out this show.

-- That sketch about replicating the studio from Pet Sounds was excellent. --

Edited by YO303

I'm not sure I should continue with this one. I think the whole Rita death was a big mistake. It just seems like it's all of a sudden lost its spark that made me continue to watch it. I hope it doesn't stay like this.

Question to the US: Has the 3rd series of Treme been aired yet over there? It's probably the only season I'm looking forward to the next season on. I think Sky Atlantic will probably show it soon after you guys get it. Oh, and Breaking Bad but I'm putting that out of my mind for now.

Treme's 3rd season aired its final episode in November.

I've caught a glimpse of a newish BBC astro documentary series on the regular tv programme and decided to err.. acquire it in HD and watch it through. It's called "Wonders of the Solar System", presented by PROFESSOR BRIAN COX.

Well, as it turns out, I find the show absolutely unpalatable. I had zero previous knowledge about the show, or the PROFESSOR BRIAN COX and I thought it could be something like a modern-day Sagan's Cosmos. I'm not a diehard Sagan fan, but I liked Cosmos very much.

Does anyone know the show I'm talking about, or maybe some of follow-up series?

It's the first random bit I found on YouTube, but it already makes me nauseous.

[youtubehd]c17t_Pf8vI4[/youtubehd].

I don't know if this might make me sound slightly retarded. But am I the only who doesn't understand what people are talking about in Deadwood half of the time?

Maybe it's just my english skills that are not good enough, and I should probably have bought it with my own languages subtitles. But what a bunch of gibberish most of the time.

And the swearing.. I feel like I hear the word cocksucker every 30th second. I don't mind profane language, but it's just a bit much in this show, which makes it a bit silly.

Edited by Npoess

I don't know if this might make me sound slightly retarded. But am I the only who doesn't understand what people are talking about in Deadwood half of the time?

Maybe it's just my english skills that are not good enough, and I should probably have bought it with my own languages subtitles. But what a bunch of gibberish most of the time.

And the swearing.. I feel like I hear the word cocksucker every 30th second. I don't mind profane language, but it's just a bit much in this show, which makes it a bit silly.

http://youtu.be/oj74tvkFDZI

Perhaps it's the 19th century vocabulary and phrasing. Hell, I'm impressed at anyone who can watch anything in a second language, I have to always use subtitles.

This is interesting, apparently the words offensive back then are now comical in our modern day context, hence the overt use of offensive language in the show:

Use of profanity

From its debut, Deadwood has drawn attention for its extensive profanity. It is a deliberate anachronism on the part of the creator with a twofold intent. Milch has explained in several interviews that the characters were originally intended to use period slang and swear words. Such words, however, were based heavily on the era's deep religious roots and tended to be more blasphemous than scatological. Instead of being shockingly crude (in keeping with the tone of a frontier mining camp), the results sounded downright comical. As one commentator put it "… if you put words like 'goldarn' into the mouths of the characters on 'Deadwood', they'd all wind up sounding like Yosemite Sam."[7]

Instead, it was decided that the show would use current profanity in order for the words to have the same impact on modern audiences as the blasphemous ones did back in the 1870s. In early episodes, the character of Mr. Wu excessively uses "cocksucka," his favorite derogatory term for those whom he dislikes. Wu is also fond of the Cantonese derogatory term "gweilo" which he applies to the camp's white males.

The other intent in regards to the frequency of the swearing was to signal to the audience the lawlessness of the camp in much the same way that the original inhabitants used it to show that they were living outside the bounds of "civil society".

The issue of the authenticity of Deadwood's dialogue has even been alluded to in the show itself. Early in the second season, E.B. Farnum has fleeced Mr. Wolcott of $9,900, and Farnum tries to console the geologist:

• EB: Some ancient Italian maxim fits our situation, whose particulars escape me.
  • Wolcott: Is the gist that I'm shit outta luck?
  • EB: Did they speak that way then?

The word "fuck" was said 43 times in the first hour of the show.[8] It has been reported that the series had a total count of 2,980 "fucks" and an average of 1.56 utterances of "fuck" per minute of footage.[9]

Edited by joshuatx

Perhaps it's the 19th century vocabulary and phrasing.

Yes, I'm sure that's why. I've never had any trouble with series with english, or no subtitles before.

I've started on the second season. And I'm just not that into it. I thought I was really going to love it, since it's western themed and it had gotten so much praise everywhere.

Funny how they thought using the word cocksucker would give the dialogue more impact on modern audiences, and set a tone for the series. And yet they use it in almost every sentence so it completely loses any form of impact. It also kind of kills the sense of time, when they're using these modern swear words. Not a great idea in my opinion.

COCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKERCOCKSUCKER

Edited by Npoess

The word "fuck" was said 43 times in the first hour of the show.[8] It has been reported that the series had a total count of 2,980 "fucks" and an average of 1.56 utterances of "fuck" per minute of footage.[9]

limp bizkit would be proud.

Guest disparaissant

been watching Lost Girl which is a really terrible canadian urban fantasy show about vampires and werewolves and fae creatures in modern day Generic Canadian Big City. but it has a lot of queer love and the first episode of the new season was a total callback to 80s sexploitation "girl jail" films like Reform School Girls. it's bad-good.

now i'm watching warehouse 13 which is just bad-bad.

pretty soon i'm taking a class that is all about the wire. i am so excite.

sixmilliondollarman.jpg

holy shit what an awesome show. i remember when this was originally on air, kids would jump off the roof of their house trying to emulate the 6 million dollar man then break their limbs or kill themselves. well- those good times are gone, and those brats got what's coming- but steve austin is still around kicking ass.

if you're in los angeles, tune in to channel 225 for

Edited by Nebraska

limp bizkit would be proud.

NSFW

I preferred The Pacific but both were quite excellent.

I wasn't aware of the existence of The Pacific until a friend of mine mentioned it the other day, I plan to watch that after I finish this current run of BoB

whatever you do... watch this film

[poster]sixty million dollar man [/poster]

thanks, definitely going to look for that

punkybrewster-turn-cov.jpg

listen to this pedophile's dream scenario: a young girl is abandoned by her mother and finds an vacant apartment in a rinky dink building run by an old man who's a photographer. when he's sent to check the place by one of the tenants who hears "voices that could be a maniac out to touch women" he finds the girl and invites her to stay with him (since she has nowhere else to go).

and now for the real kicker: the old guy is called henry and he catches "punky" dancing to "maniac"

Breaking Bad Season 2 episode 6..... Does it get any better or is this the level of entertainment for the rest of the other seasons?

Oh it get's SO much better... Just a warning when you get to Season 3 drags a little through the beginning but it definitely picks back up near the later half of the season. Season 4 and 5.1 are awesome.