IGNORED

Laurel Halo - Quarentine

Guest primusluta

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest oldenjon

Wasn't sure what to make of this at first re: vocals, but after a couple of listens I can't get it out of my head. "Don't get addicted to anything"

i was really looking forward to this. it wasn't what i expected, though i'm not sure if that is good or bad yet. regardless, i'll be picking up the lp...awesome jacket and she's a real talent. it might be a grower. i guess this album is a decent fit for hyperdub (which really isn't my thing). wondering if she tailored this toward the label or if the same material would have come out on hippos or whatever?

Off topic kinda:

i have to get my hands on the king felix ep one of these days. the price is pretty steep at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brvFJZT_YjM

one of my favorite tracks from the last few years

The cover art is so great!

The artwork is totally crazy. There was a interview with her telling some notes about the artwork and the original picture hyperdub used from a japanese (?) artist. Sadly I cannot find it again but I mention it was along the first few questions …… understandable. Compared to the Hype Williams LP on Hyperdub with the minimalism this is a coloured suicide sketch :biggrin:

Guest primusluta

Listened again, frustratingly. There's a lot of production greatness on here but by the third track I'm constantly awaiting the cringe worthy moments when the vocals come in. I wish there were an instrumental version.

Thought the vocals were really weird and jarring on a couple tracks at first, but I'm on about my fifth listen and I'm really loving this now that I'm used to it.

In an age where seemingly everything sounds like something else, this album is really unique and different. Going to go so far as to call this my album of the year so far, really addicted to it. And man, that cover art is the best. Pre-ordered!

Guest jasondonervan

Gave this a listen late last night. It has a very surreal vibe to it, and agree with earlier comments that it's quite unique. The vocals don't bother me. I don't think much of the Spring EP (King Felix) though... just felt a bit meh with all those versions of essentially the same track.

• 3 weeks later...

This might've been cool... if it was instrumental. The vocals are dreadful, especially in Years, Tumor, and Light + Space. She's not even on, beyond the fact that she's completely flat. It's kinda unbelievable how Steve Goodman didn't have a problem with any of this.

Guest Lucy Faringold

She's not even on, beyond the fact that she's completely flat.

On what?

And since when do vocals need to be perfectly on pitch? This ain't the X Factor, son!

For me the imperfect vox just add to the trippy feel of the album.

In terms of her being in key, which she's not really, at least in those three specific tracks. It's pretty uncomfortable on the ears.

In terms of her being in key, which she's not really, at least in those three specific tracks. It's pretty uncomfortable on the ears.

+1

• 11 months later...

+1

she isn't out of key. she's playing with the key.

anyhow, anyone feel kind of disturbed after listening to this album? I find that I enjoy it immensely but it also fills me with dread,a mixture of the unheimlich and lovecraftian horror. Anyone?

I think voice is the singular thing that makes this album unusual and good. Electronic stuff is pretty standard in most tracks. I find Carcass to be outstanding song, one of the highlights of 2012 for me.

Edit: and no, no horror at this end. Feeling is strange, though.

This album and Van Hoen's "Revenant Diary" were the two albums of the year for me last year.

The artwork is totally crazy. There was a interview with her telling some notes about the artwork and the original picture hyperdub used from a japanese (?) artist. Sadly I cannot find it again but I mention it was along the first few questions …… understandable. Compared to the Hype Williams LP on Hyperdub with the minimalism this is a coloured suicide sketch :biggrin:

Michael Aida. He had an art show a little while ago that roughly translates as "Sorry, I'm a Genius". Very appropriate title, because he is one. I'll post my two favorite selections (not counting "Harikiri School Girls", which is amazingly great, and comes in different prints (Halo used my favorite)), but you should check out this website: http://www.sfaqonline.com/2013/01/review-makoto-aida-“sorry-i’m-a-genius”-at-the-mori-art-museum-mam/

A-Picture-of-an-Air-Raid-on-New-York-Cit

This one is a really big mural called "Ash Color Mountains":

Aida+Makoto+.++Ash+Color+Mountains+.+200

Check out this detail:

bye-bye-kitty-1.jpg

This album and Van Hoen's "Revenant Diary" were the two albums of the year for me last year.

Michael Aida. He had an art show a little while ago that roughly translates as "Sorry, I'm a Genius". Very appropriate title, because he is one. I'll post my two favorite selections (not counting "Harikiri School Girls", which is amazingly great, and comes in different prints (Halo used my favorite)), but you should check out this website: http://www.sfaqonline.com/2013/01/review-makoto-aida-“sorry-i’m-a-genius”-at-the-mori-art-museum-mam/

A-Picture-of-an-Air-Raid-on-New-York-Cit

This one is a really big mural called "Ash Color Mountains":

Aida+Makoto+.++Ash+Color+Mountains+.+200

Check out this detail:

bye-bye-kitty-1.jpg

Great artist!

Archived