IGNORED

New Tool record end of year?

azatoth

Guest Tamochanter

Tool were cool. Liked that judith song tae. New album might be a bit gash if they try and recreate their former works without updating the style.

Maybe a dub-step album would be a good move. Saying that Perry Farrels dnb attempt was surrel and dangerous.

It was pointed out to me that Tool hasn't really been in the studio all at once, since Lateralus... it kinda showed on 10kdays. As far as I know they've been independently tracking this one as well too. I hope that doesn't become a problem again and I hope this album ends up being more cohesive. I forget where I read it but just recently saw something about Maynard saying he knows the album is being worked on but at this point hasn't actually heard any new music yet. I can't help but be a little worried about that. However this album turns out, I feel it will most definitely be their last effort.

this was the case with lateralus too as far as I know.

it definitely is their last album. at this pace, Danny will be over 60 years old if they were to do another one.

Edited by jules

I was under the impression that Adam, Justin and Danny jam a lot while composing the album and Maynard comes in when it's nearly finished and then they quickly record it since by then the album needs very little actual composing/writing.

I guess that's where the trouble started as he felt they just explored every possible avenue of every possible section and things took months and then years

no... i think maynard is doing an awesome thing that only he could do by forcing the other three to sit in the studio and refine their stuff. they weren't done: on toolband, blair was talking about how their big song (20+ minutes or something) wasn't completed yet (instrumentally) a few months ago, and in some interview with danny he said the other songs don't take shape until after the big song is done. they take a long ass time to write, and it's cool that maynard is letting them do that, and in the mean time we get the volto album, the nothings matter album, and the puscifer album. if maynard ran in there and gave them an excuse to think "that's good enough," we could be missing out.

Edited by very honest

fair point if true but tbh it appears like the guy is just not really into hanging out with the Tool boys anymore imo.

I wouldn't be surprised if this were true. At least he's doing something interesting musically. Tool are great but there's only so much a band can do with one sound.

• 2 months later...

tool have a synth jam track. they played it from 2006 to 2011 as an intro alternately for vicarious or flood, and they played it differently every time. danny had different styles of drums he would play on it, some quite elaborate, some more simple, and sometimes he wouldn't play drums at all. justin had different bass lines he would play with it, and sometimes he wouldn't play bass at all. i recommend trying to find the flac recording of their 2-10-2007 show, that performance if it stands out, but there are a lot of different and interesting versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa7dvvMD-gs

Edited by very honest