IGNORED

New Squarepusher Video For Dark Steering off Ufabulum

Joyrex

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not really feeling this either. sonically impressive, but too regimented. (judging only dark steering not ufabulum as a whole yet, obv)

yes and its really well produced ...

but i'm not impressed :( not enough stuff going on to me, as strange as that can sound.

Guest Popemobile v2

Motherfuckin' daddy is back! The song reminds me a lot of Go Plastic with maybe some Venus No. 17 thrown in? Plus how hot is that video, in and of itself? It's rare for me to get that excited for new releases anymore (anything I haven't heard, however old, is a "new release" for me), but I'm now excited. Besides, it's Squarepusher, and he is a genius. Slam dunk buy, and hopefully with the EP tacked on, as long as the price is right.

This isn't even close to being the highlight of the album. It is later in the album after the storm has calmed a bit. The acid track after this is even better. And the tracks leading up to it. And the beginning. Don't base your opinion of the album on this one track, it is about the flow of all these tracks together. You'll see.

not impressed. feels more like someone had an idea for visuals and tried to write some stripped, hard, cold tune to go with it.

been thinking lately that it's hard to think of an artist quite as prolific that misses the mark so frequently, manages to escape what promise and characteristics they shared initially, except maybe GBV / bob pollard.

Apocalyptic nightmares about trails of nuclear missiles in the night sky, spacecraft leaving earth at vast speed to escape - the viewer is ever accelerating through massive corridors of books."

The new definition of IDM ?

Guest CraniumXII

not impressed. feels more like someone had an idea for visuals and tried to write some stripped, hard, cold tune to go with it.

been thinking lately that it's hard to think of an artist quite as prolific that misses the mark so frequently, manages to escape what promise and characteristics they shared initially, except maybe GBV / bob pollard.

Sorry... Not sure WTF you're talking about.

As I recall, JAS had a ton of great moments... Numbers Lucent was great... The only album you could say "missed the mark" was d'Demonstrator... but that was technically not a "Squarepusher" release. Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion... but from a technical standpoint... he's hardly missing the mark.

Guest Lucy Faringold

This isn't even close to being the highlight of the album. It is later in the album after the storm has calmed a bit. The acid track after this is even better. And the tracks leading up to it. And the beginning.

I gotta say Dark Steering is an album highlight for me but yeah, this is definitely an album of two halves. The 4 track sequence from The Metallurgist -> Drax 2 -> Dark Steering -> 303 Scopem Hard just takes no prisoners at all.

The bass programming on this album is proper deadly. I think a lot of people here will really enjoy it.

lovely. And I'm not much of a squarepusher fan, even. As Philip Glass said, the track shows immense control and sonic depth. It's just a pleasure to listen to, even if there's nothing particularly remarkable about the tune itself.

I don't know what to think of this, it's coherent, super well produced and the visuals go with it, but I don't feel mindblown, I really don't know what to expect.

Guest ruiagnelo

I don't know what to think of this, it's coherent, super well produced and the visuals go with it, but I don't feel mindblown, I really don't know what to expect.

music isn't supposed to be mindblowing anymore. unfortunately

I dig it, seems Tom's returning to old form. Reminds me a bit of "UFO's over Leytonstone" mixed with a bit of Go Plastic era chaos... I'm more excited for this new release than I have been over his releases for quite a while.

I don't really get the connection to Go Plastic! because the melodies in Dark Steering and the track build are extremely simple by comparison. Go Plastic! is generally a lot more twisted and un-obvious. I'm not sure I completely dig the cheesiness of that track, though I could totally do so depending on the context of the album.

Archived