IGNORED

draft 7.30

YEK

I found Draft 7.30 the hardest Ae album to get into, maybe followed Quaristice. I don't know what is it, but there's something almost impenetrable for me in some of the beats that is not present in the other Ae albums.

lets put it this way, I still struggle with this album, sometimes I wonder if I will crack it. I don't put that much time into it to be fair, sometimes my patience starts waning within the first few minutes. there must be something about the texture of the tunes that grates my subconsious or something. it definately doesn't work for me, but being Autechre I know that one day I may pick it up and I will be floored.

Guest Xenblake

IV VV IV VV VIII such a great track, second only to Surripere

V-proc still gets on my nerves after a couple of minutes, it reminds me a bit of Pen Expers but not nearly as good.

I love the start of v-proc, but the 2nd half is crying out for a bit more of an interesting progression - an ae melody to tie it together would have been nice. The 'beat falling apart' effect they use doesn't work at all for me, they could have at least gone for an epic 'non-existant' style beat deconstruction.

IV VV IV VV VIII such a great track

Yeah, I love that little pitch bend in the melody near the end. It's funny how I used to think it was this super-impenetrable glitch workout, and then one day it clicked and I could hear the steady beat. Just like Gantz Graf, that took me a little while to understand.

I have more respect for this album than the enjoyment I get out of it. I find it to be their most difficult to get through. I like most of it but it's never what I grab first when I get into an autechre phase. I eventually work my way through it and I usually spend a decent amount of time with it but I end up wanting more untilted in the end. it truly is a masterpiece and work of art, I just prefer to appreciate as that. one day it'll probably be my favorite, at least for a little bit.

Had a listen all the way through this morning. It still has the same effect, thought there are some great moments on it, especially the second half of the album but I find the great moments are just few and far between.

I still want this on vinyl, just so I can gaze at the artwork.

Probably my fav album overall...I think like the artwork suggests, the music has a very biomechanical feel. Many of the tracks sound like they are bending and snapping themselves into shape, as equally organic as they are metallic. I also like how despite how glitchy this one is it has a very beat-driven sound, the hip-hop influences can even be heard in many songs. It's definitely the most dancable of their later catalouge

For some reason I think I find Untitled to be a little more impenetrable, I think it has to with how odd the timings are on that one. (though I still love the album quite a bit)

Edited by ghOsty

no one ever really mentions Xylin Room. to me it's one of the best tracks on that album, and one of their best openers.

Ae open all their albums perfectly, and Draft is no exception. The first two tracks are excellent mood-setters imo, and Xylin Room with the right sound system is awesome. The following 2 tracks and Surripere keep the juices flowing, but I feel the album, while still good after this point, loses some flow.

I think Tapr is a bit of an underrated gem. It's like some kind of weird cartoonish world, full of off-key musical instruments and broken, menacing machinery. In fact, it reminds me of this:

Imagine that, done by Autechre. You have Tapr.

Tapr is great -- it has a regular rhythm, but not a 'beat' exactly. And the low synths that swell in and out in volume are just awesome. It's almost like someone fucking with one of those organs that you push air through with a pedal. The swell and surge of the beat did and will always make me think of rotting, floating wood shifting around on distant wave currents, near the shore of some seaweed-laden lake. It doesn't have a melody exactly (I mean, it does but), so you can't quite 'sing along' to it, and yet it paints such a vivid picture, I feel like I'm listening to a moving still life and can just smell the algae and resin. Plus, the little handclaps punctuating every bar are the best! :)

Edited by encey

Speaking of Draft 7.30, does anyone know much about the "original track titles" floating around?

Benk Chin

Nwnw8

606.ie

Reppat

Theft

Prince Moth Mothy Moth Moth

Vlimpton Alpha 5

Foam Conduit

Uprock

Kidney Bean

• Like 1