IGNORED

draft 7.30

YEK

Wow, you just wrote three paragraphs priding yourself on being a close minded wanker.

Naturally, the more one learn the more demanding one is.

You've got this completely wrong - the more knowledge you get, the more open minded you become.

And I am my own worst critique too (8th year of making music and never releasing anything to public because so far my music was disposable).

Being one's own worst critic is a logical consequence of not releasing anything, since you are your only critic. But you don't sound very humble, rather self congratulatory.

Wow, you just wrote three paragraphs priding yourself on being a close minded wanker.

Naturally, the more one learn the more demanding one is.

You've got this completely wrong - the more knowledge you get, the more open minded you become.

And I am my own worst critique too (8th year of making music and never releasing anything to public because so far my music was disposable).

Being one's own worst critic is a logical consequence of not releasing anything, since you are your only critic. But you don't sound very humble, rather self congratulatory.

Amazing skills at turning the point of my posts upside down and being an idiot. Congrats.

Close-minded wanker you say... as if you knew what music I enjoy...

I agree with psn. Having a better understanding of composition and theory one would think that it would open far more avenues of appreciation in the incredibly vast corpus of music and sounds. Placing some sort of personal standard on what you deem "worthy" just closes a lot of doors that if you instead would with an open mind go through and explore, you could find something really nice and good that you could implement in your own work. Even see different and novel ways of approaching certain things.

Nothing wrong with having a high standard on your own work and not wanting to release it until it meets those standards, but there is a risk that you just crawl up your own ass and get lost in the process to achieve this ideal standard. Getting another set of ears to listen to it can't hurt. It might even help.

Guys, WTF?

Where did I said that my understanding of composition and theory closes me doors to various music and approaches??? How did it cross your minds? I absolutely don't get it. My understanding of composition and theory AND my taste aren't restricted to any particular style or genre. I have always been listening to pretty much all genres and styles throughout my life so what the hell are you talking about? Rock, Metal, Pop, Jazz, Classical, Dance, Techno, Minimal, Glitch, Experimental, Ambient, Acoustic, Country, Folk you name it. My taste and preferences simply got more developed and nuanced throughout listening and producing and therefore I started to notice more depth and details in music and it made me more demanding for truly quality stuff throughout genres and styles because the more I know the more I can compare obviously. How could it possibly be the opposite? I thought people learn to appreciate easy stuff first and sophisticated stuff later. I mean what the fuck? You both talk as if I haven't heard anything yet. Or as if I was your general dad talking "the music from my era was the best" bullshit. Jesus...

Or can't you comprehend the simple fact that I simply have very high standards and expectations for music? That the music freaking means a lot to me? Is such thinking forbidden or too bold to be expressed?? Or what?

Unbelievable...

If you enjoy most of the music you hear than good for you. I, for one, am picky no matter what styles and genres.

The only possible explanation why you both are reacting like idiots is that the texts are misleading and that it would be easier to explain everything in person. I hope.

Why would strong self-criticism make you less humble in what you do? Or the audience you'd make it for. You can be super critical towards your own work, be satisfied with it in the end and release it to the public, because you think it's worth releasing. Then you can still be humble towards its public reception.

Also, what's the threshold for being either humble or self congratulatory, as you say? Does banging together a track in half an hour and uploading it to soundcloud make you a selfless, humble artist? It could be a catchy and fun track, but most of those things aren't worth anyone's time. I wouldn't bother anybody outside my own circle with how I progress in something on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. So who's being self congratulatory?

On the other hand, sometimes it's better to not leave something to your own critique. Public reception can be something in it's own right, even when it differs from what the artist thinks of it. The original Star Wars trilogy is something quite different towards the public than it is to Lucas, making it something better (imo). Same goes for Donnie Darko, where the public embraced a very different (and better) view on the story than the director's.

I think what Jev's saying is that only Autechre manages to push (almost) all the right buttons. They do for me too. That doesn't mean that I don't also love Steve Reich, Maurice Ravel, Morricone, BoC, Broadcast, Stereolab, Tortoise, etc to death. They just do that thing which makes them overall the best.

Anyway...

As for Surripere; I went through something that made me love this track to actually despise it. This is 11 years ago when I discovered Autechre, Surripere being my 'cherry pop' track. Enthusiastic as I was I told my mates about what an earth shifting experience I had hearing it, praising its arhythmic properties. They wanted me to let them hear, so I warned them that they probably wouldn't like it. So with this in mind (me repeating several times how harsh it is and that they probably wouldn't like it) I put on Surripere. Biggest mistake I could have made! During the first bit one of them comments it's not harsh enough, so I say "it's coming, wait a bit". When it hit the 3:56 mark they all went WTF! "So yeah, there you have it. That's what I was talking about, guys." Then... Apparently the music was rather offensive to their puppy ears and minds, cause they couldn't have me switch it off fast enough. I didn't switch it off fast enough, so one of them did, saying; "hey, this is what good music is" putting on Grandmaster Flash. Me thinking; "Now, I know that Grandmaster Flash is good music, but that wasn't the fucking point of this, you twat! And I already know that you like it, because you don't play anything but Grandmaster Flash. I didn't expect you to like it, but thanks for making me feel bad about the whole thing!" After that they all though I only ever listen to arhythmic stuff, turning the whole share-music-interests into a farce. Even when I was playing my music to myself, alone, and the Grandmaster guy would enter the room, he'd switch it off only to leave the room seconds later. Fucking audio fascist!

So...

the despise-a-beautiful-track thing is because I link it to this event. I wasn't able to enjoy it after that for almost ten years, skipping it on most of the plays. Finally I've shaken the bad mojo off of it. I may seem overly sensitive about it, but the music I like does actually mean a lot to me.

actually you're wrong, you are the only one who is truly passionate about music. not just on WATMM but in the entire world. and possibly throughout all of history. really. give yourself a pat on the back, champ.

actually you're wrong, you are the only one who is truly passionate about music. not just on WATMM but in the entire world. and possibly throughout all of history. really. give yourself a pat on the back, champ.

And here we go again...

Great post, t yst r.

I am glad I am not the only person on WATMM being passionate about music. Thanks.

My interpretation: Jev relates to the story (and the ten year effect it had) and expresses it as such. This does not imply he (or she?) thinks other WATMM'ers aren't passionate about music.

Draft has always been one of my fav Ae albums, it's got some real bangers on it. It also seems to have a strong hip-hop influence in the midst of all the metallic bends and snaps.

it's lonely at the top

I guess

Will never know though

From my pleb point of view

Jev, the thing is: those views that you're expressing, most of us (I guess?) have experienced them more or less. Listening to somewhat obscure cerebral tunes, showing that stuff to other people claiming this is the ULTIMATE MUSIC, facing rejection.

We know. You seem to be very sincere about what you post here, this makes you an easy target. Your views are just so extreme, see, you're forcing us to be the Grandmaster Flash guys.

• 1 year later...

Is the album art dated or ahead of its time?

If the album art is ahead of its time, that means there is a date in the future which is beyond the past day it was released and even past the present day, so regardless of whether it is leap years ahead of its time in terms of the period it was released, it is still dated, albeit for a future date and not a past one.

tl;dr: yes.

• 2 weeks later...

The album art is integral, it's the main reason i recently/finally bought it on vinyl. I think it's the closest any of their work has come to an equilibrium of sight and sound. Stark lines and fractured shapes travelling sporadically but hastily through a hyper-technical, imagined space. Having the 12 by 12 prints in hand while listening to the music is serendipitous to say the least, especially after only listening to it digitally my whole life

I don't think it's dated in the least, but yeah i guess it does kinda reek of early-2000's "look what my computerized graphic design suite can do". The fluid, alien, and completely virtual environment is still very relevant, echoed by contemporaries like Jesse Kanda and Martin Olsson. Is Rutterford still doing stuff anyways? Hope so

Edit: ok fine the main reason i got it is actually because i'm completist scum, but still it must be one of the most rewarding "full packages", next to Exai

Edited by BoomTssPhace

The artwork is fantastic, perfectly summarizes what that album sounds like IMO, more so than the artwork for any release since.

Yeah that color reminds me of cassettes somehow.

I definitely want the cassette version of this, just to have if maybe never actually listen to. One day.