IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

it was but i don't particularly love a lot of the acidic sounds they use lately. With the exception of that track and Y7 i just dont think they excel at the usage of the squelch pitch-bend synth line (because as far as i know i've never heard the using an actual 303). A good example of what i see as a failure of this style attempt is the vsnares VS ae track from that elektron comp. It's a decent track until that acid line sort of kills it.

fair enough!

We will have to just wait and see! :beer:

Guest disoriental express

Just sit back and imagine in your mind what it will be like... :cerious:

il_fullxfull.359308466_f0f9.jpg

Edited by disoriental express

Guest pixelives
Etchogon-S is definitely a good place to start thinking about the faster stuff.

erk, that truck sucks

I wouldn't say it's the most stand out track, but in terms of programming there are similarities here

Guest pixelives

Like arriving in a new huge metropolis you've never been to before and trying to make sense of the layout and how to get around..

Doesn't that apply to any new Autechre things? [Or other artists you really like]

Also, I feel like the album sounds white. But I guess I'll know when I've heard it.

I've been following this thread and all these pages for awhile now, and honestly it's during times like this that watmm truly shines, makes me laugh and excited.

Leak or no leak, these are good times, thank you fellas.

On a side note, this as been discussed before, but I really don't understand Warp's strategy on this.

Everyone in this thread, at least I hope so, has preordered the album already : A reasonable strategy would be to release within 2 weeks after the announcement and send the promos to music journalists / DJs / bloggers so that they get it the day of the announcement.

Then put up a counter on bleep and let all the pepople preordering pre-download the album, and get it at midnight on the release day.

But also, if they did this, wouldn't have these 120 pages of discussions / arguments / silly images, or maybe we would even have more, I don't know.

I just hope that they release the mp3 / wav / flac on bleep soon now.

Edited by beNito

the only reason i can see a 2 month lead time making sense is because reviewers tend to have day jobs (surprise, this profession most likely does not pay a living wage) and are probably a procrastinating bunch much like most people in the music industry. If you make a reviewer feel as if he/she has to 'rush' to write something in say a month or only 2 weeks, you're going to get a lot less reviews. Most reviewers and outlets would ideally like to maintain that image of having the 'scoop' or in this case the early word on what the album sounds like. 2 months is about the perfect amount of time to make sure you get maximum exposure. It makes plenty of sense why a band with as big of a cult following as AE would still need to (or more like Warp still needs to) go through the regular routine to promote a new work. Then when you cross into a bigger echelon of fame you'll have just a team of people constantly promoting you. Huge movie stars will still play these types of games, people get paid a lot of money for being hype men. And if you are Tom Cruise you can hire a lot of hype men to make sure you get positioned into the next role you want while combatting those nasty gay 'arranged marriage' and 'crazy scientologist' rumors

Edited by Awepittance

Guest pixelives
so people are talking about albums as trilogies etc ... i can see the confield - draft - untilted trilogy theme ... but I dont really see the links between Quaristice to Oversteps with the exception of the reverbs that started to make their way in pretty heavily during the Quaristice phase ...

Incunabula/Amber/Tri Rep is a progression

as is

Chiastic/LP5/EP7

as is

Confield/Draft/Untilted

Maybe Quaristice is more like a bridge, or an outlier kind of how Tri Rep sometimes feels to me...

Guest pixelives

I like it over there

Mmmm... I don't really see the Chiastic - LP5 bridge .. .to me... the difference in sound between these adjacent releases is the greates of their entire cataloguet .. I see Chiastic and Tri Rep to be more closely linked than Chiastic and LP5 ...

This being said, I always thought that LP5 - EP7 - Confield was a bit of a trilogy/linear progression

your analysis is probably closer than mine. my mind groups them in threes for whatever reason..

i agree with Stickfigger's first part, that Chiastic was the 'last' autechre album of a particular era, and if you count Chichlisuite that was the *very* last installment, but i think Confield was a very distinct new turn that went until Untilted and also included gantz graf

This being said, I always thought that LP5 - EP7 - Confield was a bit of a trilogy/linear progression

Seconded - Chiastic / Envane / Cichli form their own little universe to me.

Guest pixelives

I think I block the Quar/Oversteps/Exai Lps together for the return to hardware for certain things, ie Elektron boxes.

Seconded - Chiastic / Envane / Cichli form their own little universe to me.

I like that little star cluster. :music:

just came back from a kraftwerk gig where tickets have been sold on ebay for 1000 EUR and I really have to say the last autechre gig did entertain me about 100x better

really looking forward to exai

Edited by o00o