IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="gl0tch" data-cid="1937398" data-time="1359030313"><p>

Anyways, here's what I really want to know... Is the song structure jammy (directionless?) like Quaristice (I sort of remember Rob saying it was recorded straight first and edited later), OR does it sound like Unitlted or Oversteps where they have more form (songs?) and sound like they were deliberately composed on a computer?</p></blockquote>

I really hope it the second.

Guest disoriental express
Who's sharing a fake version on slsk? Is it sad that I've got it queued up anyway even though I know it's gonna be fake?

definitely fake just based on track times. :trashbear:

Guest pixelives
Ok, ok... So lemme get this straight.... It has delayed melodies like LP5, mini universes like Confield, beat fuckery like Untilted, murkiness like Quaristice, and stateliness of Oversteps (not sure what that means really). What about Draft?

Anyways, here's what I really want to know... Is the song structure jammy (directionless?) like Quaristice (I sort of remember Rob saying it was recorded straight first and edited later), OR does it sound like Unitlted or Oversteps where they have more form (songs?) and sound like they were deliberately composed on a computer?

Very composed. Not jammy. Except for a one or two of the slow ones.

Pixelives, would you say that spl9 from that mix is one of the closest songs to Quaristice that Exai has to offer, and that spl9 differs from most of the other tracks?

Also, am I correct in thinking that the album version is twice the length of the portion that made if to that mix/YouTube video?

Guest pixelives

spl9 is 7+ minutes long. I've been having a hard time placing where it fits in the canon. It's very "rocking" and proggy and seems like something they'd play live. I keep on referencing Lightning Bolt when I hear it. All pitch shifted and ring modded bass/leads.

So does the rest of the album generally sound different than this track?

Fermium from Untilted

Simm from Quaristice

Known(1) from Oversteps.

All these songs sounded out of place compared to the rest of the album. Admittedly, Simm seemed the most song like on Quaristice and the palate on these 3 are similar, but do you get what I mean by these seeming out of place?

I'm asking b/c it sounds like Exai is much different than Quaristice in its focus, but spl9 sounds like it could have been from the Quaristice sessions

Guest pixelives

That whole "every song operating in its own universe" is very true for this. I'd say there are 4 or 5 kinds of vibes in a spectrum on Exai. There's no real one "odd duck." Except maybe bladelores because it's less frantic. dreamy even. definitely lush.

Truth is I really didn't care for the production of Quaristice sound wise.. I feel like they sold themselves short recording stereo jams.

It's very different than Quar.

Guest pixelives

All time would probably be Tri Rep in how it influenced me. Not because it's the most complicated or accomplished, but because of total mood and concise feeling. It feels like a film.

Can't say yet where the new one fits in, but I'm thinking top 5.

All time would probably be Tri Rep in how it influenced me. Not because it's the most complicated or accomplished, but because of total mood and concise feeling. It feels like a film.

Can't say yet where the new one fits in, but I'm thinking top 5.

that's not bad, but it isnt good either. why not top 3 or top 2

Guest pixelives

I'm under 10 listens at this point and it's still a mystery to me. Really, really was jamming on it last night though. I think it takes a long time to decide where they fit in a list. Also that list is constantly in flux, anyway (at least for me).

I mean, it's massive. It's two hours. I just have no idea yet about these wideframe canonical things. Just trying to make sense of it and all it's different permutations.

holy shit, just found this (because duh I am pitchfork hipster reviewer, obv am googling myself). I guess I'm flattered that the Untilted review still garners attention. Have to say, not the best thing I ever did, and it's painfully obvious to me now that i was way more interested in that book than in reviewing a record. Hopefully not all of it is useless? I haven't actually heard the record in a while, and fwiw probably wouldn't approach writing any review in that style again (if I still wrote reviews). Still, I'm not actually a hipster, so please adjust the flavor of your hatred for me.

but what I really came here to say was Cy Ableman???? haha

Dominique

Nah pretty much the entirety of the review is worthless. I read that before I even joined WATMM and found it perplexing and silly.

All the same, welcome to WATMM. I can't be held responsible for hostilities :)

Also read the rules.

i dont see the connection between that track and anything off LP5. To me it sounds like a much more frantic gritty version of one of their newer live set tracks, some similarity production/mixing wise to Quaristice. I really hope it's not like LP5. The untilted comparisons are quite welcome though.

edit: Untilted was the last album they did where the beat structures were very complex and shifting through out the song

I agree on all counts!

holy shit, just found this (because duh I am pitchfork hipster reviewer, obv am googling myself). I guess I'm flattered that the Untilted review still garners attention. Have to say, not the best thing I ever did, and it's painfully obvious to me now that i was way more interested in that book than in reviewing a record. Hopefully not all of it is useless? I haven't actually heard the record in a while, and fwiw probably wouldn't approach writing any review in that style again (if I still wrote reviews). Still, I'm not actually a hipster, so please adjust the flavor of your hatred for me.

but what I really came here to say was Cy Ableman???? haha

Dominique

As long as you pronounce Autechre properly and not 'Ardidger', I think you'll be okay around here.