IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

I've given up hope on this coming out before March 4/5. I'm okay with that. That's what they announced, so that's what it'll be I guess..

For me, I'm identifying the frustration lies in my getting used to the model that has driven the past 5-10 years of music releases and seeing that challenged by something seemingly outdated, but yet, correct by the industry standards. Whatever that means.

With that, there HAS been challenges and opportunities on both sides of the debate. Just calling it like I see it, you have on one side people (like me) who come off as self-entitled, wanting what they paid for; because frankly we know it exists and we don't see the sense in prolonging a release due to (what many have successfully shown) is an outdated marketing model. On the otherhand, you have a bunch of equally self-entitled, self-interested elites who claim some position worthy of promotion, taking to twitter and forums bragging about their select opportunity to bask in the company of few early adopters. Fuck them too.

Here's the deal... The whining is annoying, but funny and for some of us, has become a pre-game ritual. On the other hand, the stoicism and nearly Luddite stance on how things need to work, the constant bragging, and the complete and utter LACK of promotion is deplorable. Joyrex, with all due respect, you've done a shit job at promoting Exai. You don't deserve it. Tell me again why you have it? Because you run a fan site? okay. I seem to remember you sat on the Oversteps promo. I wonder if Warp would have gotten you a copy of Exai had they know that.

But whatever, MANY of you don't deserve promos of this, and that's what has enraged some of Autechre's most dire fans, myself included.

We're all hypocrites. I get it. Some just are more self aware or frightenly and on the contrary, unable to question authority on some invented principle that as long as it is upheld, their status quo is maintained.

At this point I've found solace not in the hope that Exai leaks, but in the hope that one day we find out how and why the fuck Warp is keeping this so close to the hip.

Until then, adieu and fuck you!

-gl0tch

Edited by gl0tch

The Bleep page has been updated with MP3/FLAC release dates and track lengths. Previews don't look to be working though (and the MP3 date is the same as physical)

Sorry if Jazz - i've lost the will to trawl through the past pages now.

https://bleep.com/release/41081-autechre-exai for the lazy.

Edited by leterel

gl0tch all of this isn't that complicated. It arises from your difficulty in waiting. That's it. The reason it's changed this year is because 1. there hasn't been a leak as early and 2. there's been a lot more exposure of those who have it already. They post on twitter, on this forum, and elsewhere. If there had been a silence, it would have been exactly the same as all past years. People have gotten promos long before the leak for a long time, we just didn't hear about it as direct back then. Warp set a release date, maybe it is due to them not having all the CD or Vinyl pressings in order, maybe it is because they want to sell more copies, as opposed to putting out a digital immediately and have it pirated and then get less sales, maybe it even is people don't want to, or are afraid to, leak the promo they have. Some people have moral stands on this kind of thing.

In the end, we're talking about a few months, and truly, patience is a virtue. The only thing that will happen if you get the whole album today, is that you will listen to it, and that's it. There's no real difference between that day, and that day in a month. It is the chemicals and neurons in your brain that's wired to want it immediately. It is amplified by the society we have today, where nobody waits for anything. We want it NOW. This is something you can consciously work on. Learn to appreciate having to wait. We're all lucky that everything is so immediately accessible, but it really shows the lack of self discipline when we're having this discussion about fucking MUSIC. Come back when you have problems with food. Or something

Some of it is tongue in cheek, I get it, but this cover analysis thing is getting dangerously close to twoism-level overthinking. W/ BoC the mystery is intentional, so I get the digging to some degree, but with ae I hardly see them engaging in that kind of stuff.

Lesson for Warp:

1) Hey! Your new leak prevention thingy whatever it is works like a charm!

2) But it leads to fans engaging in paul is dead style self defenestration.

You're clearly underestimating numerological detail of Ae releases. Release dates, catalogue numbers, album titles etc, there's always some over-the-head bullshit going on. Ae fooling around or doing their Kaballah routine.

Maybe I am, but I'll need to see it to believe it. I know album numbers are often referenced in the album title, but usually its surface level stuff like draft 7.30 or untilted (hey, if its untilted its straight. that rhymes with 8!) i just haven't seen enough to say that ae are going really deep in a way that anyone on the outside could recognize or decode. quaristice means something to them, obviously, but they don't seem that interested in us knowing what it means. unless i've missed something. i'm willing to be convinced.

Some of it is tongue in cheek, I get it, but this cover analysis thing is getting dangerously close to twoism-level overthinking. W/ BoC the mystery is intentional, so I get the digging to some degree, but with ae I hardly see them engaging in that kind of stuff.

Lesson for Warp:

1) Hey! Your new leak prevention thingy whatever it is works like a charm!

2) But it leads to fans engaging in paul is dead style self defenestration.

You're clearly underestimating numerological detail of Ae releases. Release dates, catalogue numbers, album titles etc, there's always some over-the-head bullshit going on. Ae fooling around or doing their Kaballah routine.

Maybe I am, but I'll need to see it to believe it. I know album numbers are often referenced in the album title, but usually its surface level stuff like draft 7.30 or untilted (hey, if its untilted its straight. that rhymes with 8!) i just haven't seen enough to say that ae are going really deep in a way that anyone on the outside could recognize or decode. quaristice means something to them, obviously, but they don't seem that interested in us knowing what it means. unless i've missed something. i'm willing to be convinced.

Ian Anderson (tDR) in this Facebook thread talks abut the hidden meaning in the Exai artwork... http://www.facebook.com/thedesignersrepublic/posts/390941424326237 I wonder what the hidden meaning of Oversteps circles is?

The Bleep page has been updated with MP3/FLAC release dates and track lengths. Previews don't look to be working though (and the MP3 date is the same as physical)

no this is new. interesting

gl0tch all of this isn't that complicated. It arises from your difficulty in waiting. That's it. The reason it's changed this year is because 1. there hasn't been a leak as early and 2. there's been a lot more exposure of those who have it already. They post on twitter, on this forum, and elsewhere. If there had been a silence, it would have been exactly the same as all past years. People have gotten promos long before the leak for a long time, we just didn't hear about it as direct back then. Warp set a release date, maybe it is due to them not having all the CD or Vinyl pressings in order, maybe it is because they want to sell more copies, as opposed to putting out a digital immediately and have it pirated and then get less sales, maybe it even is people don't want to, or are afraid to, leak the promo they have. Some people have moral stands on this kind of thing.

In the end, we're talking about a few months, and truly, patience is a virtue. The only thing that will happen if you get the whole album today, is that you will listen to it, and that's it. There's no real difference between that day, and that day in a month. It is the chemicals and neurons in your brain that's wired to want it immediately. It is amplified by the society we have today, where nobody waits for anything. We want it NOW. This is something you can consciously work on. Learn to appreciate having to wait. We're all lucky that everything is so immediately accessible, but it really shows the lack of self discipline when we're having this discussion about fucking MUSIC. Come back when you have problems with food. Or something

I agree with you.

I thought we already knew track times etc. Or is it that Bleep updated the page a month in advance the interesting bit?

I thought we already knew track times etc. Or is it that Bleep updated the page a month in advance the interesting bit?

the update is interesting

I see what you mean, just checked some of the other pre-release pages, the Jamie Lidell album (that's due in less than 2 weeks) doesn't have a tracklisting up. hmmmm

I see what you mean, just checked some of the other pre-release pages, the Jamie Lidell album (that's due in less than 2 weeks) doesn't have a tracklisting up. hmmmm

hmmmm... interesting ;)

While I'm hoping this is building to something, it is a bit like trying to read the future in the entrails of birds, this bleep watching.

hahah...they changed the wav release date as well to the 4th...lol

or maybe i did using the F5 button..........

Edited by exm

lol. If I say "odd that they've got the album release date as 05-02-2013" do you think they'll release it today?

lol. If I say "odd that they've got the album release date as 05-02-2013" do you think they'll release it today?

You should try that! ... ow, you just did

W

I'm finding it really interesting that they're returning to more beat driven hip hop style tracks, it's almost as if their career has been culminated from a deep fascination to almost create the definitive hip hop sound. Their earlier stuff seems to be more focused with the structural and sample manipulation aspects taken to their logical extreme, whereas from LP5 onwards the focus shifted towards an extremely advanced understanding and determination of control the audio technology that essentially allowed hip hop to become the genre it has. It almost seems logical in a way that they're returning to their older structures yet with a new and more controlled sound palette, like after 22 years they're finally beginning to finalise the sound they originally envisioned and that everything before it was like a work in progress documentation of how the sound progressed. [...] Like, I expect with this album it's going to click with me immediately whereas in comparison say from EP7 onwards, you have to let it sink in to understand what they were trying to achieve in order to really appreciate the music.

From what we've heard so far of Exai I hesitate to make any assumptions aside from feeling like we're going to get a very multi-dimensional yet refined release. As far as i'm concered their taste level has gotten more and more razor sharp over time.

Well, that is Exai in a nut shell. Well done.

pm me if you need anything, i have an exai promo.

what fizzkinz says. we need a track by track review!

What do you want with that? If anything a track by track review of Ae music is completely pointless since the reception of their music is something like 150 % subjective, hence completely biased.