IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

I heard this on my commute to work today. Pressed play as soon as I left the house and sat at my desk just as the dying side-chained reverb of bladelores faded out of ear-sight. Coincidence ?

yep

Guest pixelives

this album feels very hypnogogic to me, listening to it for the 3rd time now and i feel like im listening to practically a different album. anybody else getting this effects? No effect like this on Quaristice or OVersteps

and i agree about the analog feel to it but not warm or soft like most analog centric music, it's sparkly. It reminds me a lot of what you can do with the Analog 4 or Arp 2600 with FM filter modulations. I feel like almost every bass line sound is being FM modulated to some extent, but not digital fm synths.

and i agree with digit about the mixing/engineering aspect of the album. For having such a chaotic noisy feel it's mixed beautifully. Nothing is muddy, even though at first glance it may seem that way on the surface. My qualm with the sound design wasn't that I think it has bad sound design, i think it's great it's just a sound palette that is used for almost the whole album. I prefer the more varying sound palette quality of Quaristice or Untilted personally. This is alot more focused on a singular aesthetic

yes. there is an analog warmness that is apparent that hasn't been there for years and years, but using the intricate and lush production techniques they've been developing over the last few records.

I don't understand Cloudline. It's the only track where I just skip the track after a couple of minutes. It's so annoying to sit through. My god...

What the F is wrong with you? With me....

*skips post*

Guest pixelives

Funny thing now is that any and all critics and writers who got it around the time I did are now scrambling to finish reviews so as to be pertinent for this pre release. Bwahahaha!

I felt like I heard several of the sounds before, like from Draft. I went back and compared to earlier albums, and they can have a similar feel, but sound totally different still. I'm like Oo wtf

they made an album that one ups draft7.30

i dont know about that, it's a hard one to top. This feels more expressive and 'fun' but Draft is to this day one of the most complex electronic albums ive ever heard. I'd be surprised if they ever reached the same level of technical programming expertise, nor do i think they care to. It would be sort of like Aphex busting out another Druqks

I just can't stop listening to the 'spectral smushy beats being slowly overcome by the granular noise' section from the last third of vekoS. Every time the track ends I just want to hit play to hear it all again.

this album is so good it almost feels like they have slowly over the years/decades been planning out their attack, patiently waiting in the shadows until aenergy is fully charged, and then launched themselves into a higher alien dimension to finally construct like tiny molecules their sacred language/history

a lifetime of experiences in one album

quite good

Edited by compson

this album is so good it almost feels like they have slowly over the years/decades been planning out their attack, patiently waiting in the shadows until aenergy is fully charged, and then launched themselves into a higher alien dimension to finally construct like tiny molecules their sacred language

Indeed :beer:

Kavinsky, on 08 Feb 2013 - 04:05, said:

compson, on 08 Feb 2013 - 04:03, said:

this album is so good it almost feels like they have slowly over the years/decades been planning out their attack, patiently waiting in the shadows until aenergy is fully charged, and then launched themselves into a higher alien dimension to finally construct like tiny molecules their sacred language

Need to listen to Oversteps and then Exai in one sitting and see where that takes me. Oversteps feels very much like the end of the beginning, while exai is the beginning of the forever. or something...

*smoeks*

edit: erm forgive multiple quotes, been experiencing some major matrix glitches irl since exai.

Edited by compson

maybe more than any other ae work, this blurs the line between what is considered "music", and what is "stimulating auditory input".

I want to be critical of the "songs" from a musical standpoint - melody, beats, etc - but even if I was the fact remains that it's just damned pleasurable to listen to, in a very tactile, spacious way.

any thoughts on whether bladelores might be an old (like, very old) track? maybe some others too, hearing a lot of sounds and vibes that bring ep7 to mind particularly

maybe it's not an old track per se but rather a deliberate throwback to an older style. I get vibes off it that remind me of their Skeng remix, at least the opening.

throwback is likely to be the case, but I just get an odd feeling that a pretty big part of exai consists of previous incomplete projects from older album periods that have been beaten into shape and fleshed out. they must have hundreds, thousands of sketches sounds and just things that didn't fit, built up over the years.