IGNORED

µ-Ziq - Chewed Corners

cear

Guest Gravity

I'm really into Hug and Smooch. What a nice coincidence.

Also Ritm from XTEP gets me on some propa chill vibes innit.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Rulohead32

Also Ritm from XTEP gets me on some propa chill vibes innit.

^That

Wipe is one of my favourites too.

Guest Gravity

Every time I hear Mountain Island Boner I feel like the Chicago Bulls are gonna start running out.

I have never been much of a fan of Mike's music but have always loved Planet Mu as a label. So I went into this not expecting much, maybe a decent enough album for a listen or two.

I am very pleasantly surprised though, to me this is the best material I have ever heard from him (I have heard most of his discography, just never been blown away). He's got the great melodies that made his best stuff stand out in the past and it sounds like he's taken a lot of influences from juke/footwork, Machinedrum, Kuedo, etc.

Would really recommend this if you're on the fence, already one of my favorites this year after only a couple listens.

I think that this album is absolutely amazing. I can't really understand why the thread for the new BOC album has so many pages and this here has only 6. This album is totally different, but at eye level with TH.

i'm still grappling with this. mountain island boner makes me harppy and that bendy synthesizer sound in houzz 10 is pleesing, i like houzz 10, even tho the singy, voicey bits

were a bit much for me first. i don't know if i'm going to lust after the entire album over time, but i'm well into some of these tracs

I'm not sure about this one, it's got µ-Ziq's signature but it's so overtly influenced by all that's been trendy these past couple of years that it can feel like it's trying too hard to sound relevant sometimes. I love the XTEP though so I don't want to be dismissive of the album, need to spend some more time with it maybe.

I'm not sure about this one, it's got µ-Ziq's signature but it's so overtly influenced by all that's been trendy these past couple of years that it can feel like it's trying too hard to sound relevant sometimes. I love the XTEP though so I don't want to be dismissive of the album, need to spend some more time with it maybe.

... I mean, considering Mike P is pushing his entire label in the whole footwork/juke direction doesn't it kind of make sense that he would want to make music like that? Besides, is it really so far fetched that he would have given some artistic direction to the artists on his label, meaning that the genre is more of a representation of his own musical direction rather than just the genre/style of albums he's published on p.mu??

Know what I mean? =/

Yeah, you certainly make a lot of sense. :smile:

I guess another way to explain it is, as if he's adding ingredients he likes even if they don't always gel and that gives it that kind of "forced" feel in places. But I haven't even listened since my last post to be honest, so maybe I still need to open my mind and absorb the delicious spaghetti with chocolate sauce that is Chewed Corners.

Guest dylanmcknd

Now I can't think about µ-Ziq without thinking of some picture a user had as their signature which is a stretched out version of that pic of mike in a field.

It was so fucking funny to me, whenever I saw it I just straight pissed myself.

Yeah, you certainly make a lot of sense. :smile:

I guess another way to explain it is, as if he's adding ingredients he likes even if they don't always gel and that gives it that kind of "forced" feel in places. But I haven't even listened since my last post to be honest, so maybe I still need to open my mind and absorb the delicious spaghetti with chocolate sauce that is Chewed Corners.

hehe now you're talking! =D

There were definitely a couple highlights on the album for me, but I get what you're saying. Honestly though this album sounds like a return to form for Mike, similar feel to tango or bluff limbo. Sometimes awkward, jarring sounds, with HUGE synths (the last 35 seconds of Christ dust?! wow..) and melodies! For some songs, they wouldn't be out of place on "In Pine Effect" either. It just sounds like Mike has swapped out the metallic sounding percussion and replaced it with fast hats!

Give it another shot, maybe with some green-encouragement if you're into that kind of thing. =)

Curious if anyone has found a copy of this in the USA yet… sounds like it might be slightly delayed?

I'm not in the US, but Canada... I got my preorder a day after release date. (unlike shitty shit fucking useless assholes Bleep (got my Bibio preorder 1 month and 2 days after release date lol)).

Archived