IGNORED

Hello Everything

MisterE

full disclosure- i've only 'recently' got into squarepusher much, or really any of this type of electronic music for that matter. i bought go plastic maybe 4-5yrs ago, it grew on me quickly and eventually i loved it. didn't get another of his for maybe a year or two. got hard normal and feed me, loved those. since then i've been grabbing the major releases and have most of them by now. anyway, one of my recent acquisitions is Hello Everything. I also just got Ultravistor. Ultravisitor is pretty weird, and maybe a bit too wandering and loose for what i want. it seems like the random noisey parts of go plastic but as a full album, then with bass noodling every once in a while. don't get me wrong, it's kind of growing on me, but not so quickly.

Hello Everything on the other hand, is pretty awesome. I love these tracks:

Hello Meow- the one i like least out of this list. which is saying a lot because it's good.

Planetarium- amazing. I love the whole vibe, it's like music you listen to while going on an adventure through space, traveling across the galaxy. i love that shit.

Circlewave 2- i love the bass solo here. it reminds me a bit of 'spanish caravan' by the doors

Welcome to Europe- another awesome high energy track. i love that bassline and the squelchy synth

Plotinus- the ending part with the electronic buzzing sounds, i don't know how to describe them, but it's incredible.

Modern Bass Guitar- more playful, not a serious vibe at all, really noisy and hectic but some amazing stuff in there and it does actually get a bit ominous later in

the other tracks, they are all at least ok enough that i don't want to skip them. to me, this has become one of my favorites (of all artists) and it really seems to represent what i think of when i think of squarepusher. it's like the apex of his sound.

yeah i think Numbers Lucent and JAS are two of the few major things i don't have yet. oh and music is rotted. but I've listened to probably all Lucent tracks on youtube and i thought they were awesome so it will probably be next.

from lucent i'd say Zounds Perspex alone sounds worth getting it for and it's been my favorite from when i've checked it out over on the tubes. the uhh, almost reverse sounding synth uhh, almost like 'stabs' are so, uhh, 'angular'. its just a really cool track.

Edited by MisterE

although there is hardly an sp album i don't love, hello everything has to be my absolute favorite. rotate electrolyte is really just top notch, possibly my favorite song of his. not to mention numbers lucent, dear jesus... heliacal torch is fucking epic.

it's just a shame that hello everything sounds TERRIBLE in terms of sound production. seriously, what was he thinking? how do you go from ultravisitor & square window (which sound at least good in production terms) to such a noisy, unbalanced, high-mids sound?

Music is Rotted One Note is very different from his other records. Its absract and jazzy. But it has this beautiful piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o2EPOzW2KQ

also i feel like mentioning that this tune is one of my all time favorite to listen to in the transition of summer to autumn. it just feels right

Edited by sergeantk

Music is Rotted One Note is very different from his other records. Its absract and jazzy. But it has this beautiful piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o2EPOzW2KQ

also i feel like mentioning that this tune is one of my all time favorite to listen to in the transition of summer to autumn. it just feels right

totally agree. everytime i listen to "my sound", i just envision a group of musicians languidly beginning a jam in a small cramped room, slowly gaining confidence as the rhythms begin to tighten, and then exploding into mutual confident understanding as the bass guitar strides towards the end of the song. brilliant song.

Edited by benc812

yeah i've been getting into jazz type stuff slowly over the past few years also, so i'm not avoiding rotted note, but i will say that i prefer pusher's full electro stuff to his 'more jazzy with real instruments' stuff. even though his full electro stuff is often still pretty jazzy, like hard normal and feed me, which actually both remind me lots of herbie hancock- headhunters, thrust, manchild etc (which are great).

bit surprised at the comment about hello everything having terrible production... i think it almost sounds perfect. i wish drukqs sounded like that.

musically, hello everything is tops. but just juxtapose planetarium with, say abacus 2. in fact pt many of of favorite songs for HE on a mix cd with other contemporaneous tracks of that era. the HE tracks wiill stand out in a much more muddy and somewhat offputting way. this has happened to me lately, and uite frankly pissed me off condering that HE is really the apex of his songwriting abilities

• 2 years later...

I've been listening to this again a lot lately. Awesome trax....plontius, circlwave 2, exiton,, planetarium., etc.. I recommend you revisit it soon, children of the night.

Aw I like Vacuum Tracks.

I went back to Hello Everything recently too. I wasn't too impressed upon release iirc. I was used to headfuck and acid SP and this was just a bit....tame?

I find listening to it in context of JAS and shobaleader, it makes more sense to me and is more enjoyable. Feels very 'live' with electronic elements added. I can detect room sound in a lot of the tracks.

I've been listening to this again a lot lately. Awesome trax....plontius, circlwave 2, exiton,, planetarium., etc.. I recommend you revisit it soon, children of the night.

I kind of gravitate towards slightly more aggressive or weird styles of music, and for me Hello Everything always seemed waay to middle-of-the-road, even the album cover is seriously lame lol. But since Damogen Furies split thee ears into shreds I feel I can go back to this era without too much harsh judgement, and I agree there are some killer tunes on here. More than I thought there were. Planetarium, Rotate Electrolyte, Welcome to Europe, Plotinus. And what is the deal with Orient Orange? Tucked in quietly right at the end. Its an absolute epic.

In fact the more I think about it and type the more I'm convinced that the album cover is the problem for me, and the first 3 opening tracks. Once thats been navigated it's Blast Off.

Edited by beerwolf

^ Did some hallucinogens for the first listen of that album (I think it was in 2007 or 2008), and the hands on the cover were moving as if playing the instruments. I imagine that was intentional.

Edited by StephenG

• 7 years later...

This actually turned into my favorite SP out off all of them. Plotinus and The Modern Bass Guitar are belters of a different dimension imo. That shit hits so hard it's crazy. This is also his best album melody wise i think. It might sometimes be a little cheesy of course, but that has always been part of SP's charm tbh.

• Like 3

That's right folks!

Once-upon-a-time I used to take LOTS AND LOTS of drugs ?

Though I was only really savage from 32 to 38, which I guess is miles better than 14 to 38 ?

(and infititley better than 14 to 47/dead)

Seeing as I'm posting in the SP forum for the first time in ages....

WHERE'S THE FUCKING ORANGE METALHEAD ROME TRACK???????!!!!!!!!!

?

Edited by beerwolf

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/4/2023 at 10:46 PM, Richie Sombrero said:

Good album. Not as good as Ultravisitor. Last great album before Damogen though.

No, I am not taking questions.

Mr ?; ufababoon is better than damagedfurries! See it wasn’t a question so I’m good lol.

• Like 2