IGNORED

Vaporwave

Nebraska

^Never really dug that guy but that is really fucking cool.

totally it was pretty unreal experience.. but modeselektor's live set may have been even more amazing..

kinda unrelated, but i saw avicii at coachella a few years back

"Your WATMM account has now been suspended."

(jk, the visuals look great !)

hahaha

this is so forward thinking... very idm in spirit

and very meta but in a refreshing way.. the album is centered on the theme/concept of vaporwave, but delivered through jagged left-field flying lotus meets cyberpunk/aggro broken beats, rather than an album centered on cyberpunk themes, but delivered through vaporwave sounds. this opposite is enthralling as it's a nice break from the slew of samey vapor and yet at the same time it allows us to appreciate the genre and the awesome weirdness that has come out of it. if i didn't know what vaporwave was and i heard this album, my curiosity of the genre would be immediately peaked.

Just as bands like early Dwarves, Alternative TV sounded pretty distinctively different from the "punk rock" at the time, and how Kanye and Outkast's experimental work sounded different from the hip hop at the time, this is an example of a release that i think pushes the genre/scene further to create wider boundaries and will ultimately open up doors to cooler and weirder music/art/concepts/ in general. Call it vaporwave or not, doesn't really matter, and this album is testament to it "not really mattering" because it's good and breaks out of the confines. i dont know that i love it or that it's groundbreaking, or that its brilliant or anything, just that it feels liberating and kind of exciting and natural, and that's what this genre has been needing for a little while now.

https://dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/album/vaporwave-is-dead

a0241929216_16.jpg

side note:

in many ways as much as i sigh the sentiment "vaporwave is dead" or how many ppl keep repeating the idea that its been dead for a while now, i think there's something freeing to be able to say something is dead without harsh or scary reprecussions- i think it further expands the subject, and allows it to either find it's way through tunnels, new avenues, or become re-born even stronger. Society has repeated God's dead, punk is dead, rock n roll is dead, etc etc.. if anything it only makes the subjects more real and present imo. i personally dont think its dead (just that it's reached new levels of consciousness - it's not that innocent non-self aware child anymore).. but i like the artistic dramatic interpretation of that theme as presented in this release. theres also a slight sense of humor in the record which allows it to retain its sense of weirdness. (: good stuff!

Edited by Lane Visitor

^someone pointed out that DC dropped the "vaporwave" tag on bandcamp, with "dreampunk" as a tag for their discography among others

Yeah i noticed that too... I think its healthy. I almost feel like getting some healthy distance from the term itself from time to time, like in a relationship, can help put things into perspective, and it also allows creators to distance themselves from any genre/tag /title.

The important part of it all is the spirit, the feel, imo.. Like when post-punk, new romantic, goth, hardcore, etc etc artists spawned from different offshoots of punk, it need not obsessively refer to itself as punk just because it came from punk or was inspired by it. Like ppl dont call The Cure or Bauhaus or Fugazi "punk rock" even though the spirit is there and the cadences and energy themes etc are very drawn from punk.

Aaanyway, im starting to rant here, but what im ultimately wanting to get to is that Dream Catalog is an example of the movement accelerating into new ground, and the lack of samey vapory material and the lack of the tags, labels and cliches doesnt actually mean that vwave is fading--rather quite the opposite.. It allows room for future scenarios of that every now and then "vaporwave as fuck/ classic as hell" album to drop that will get the "purists" excited again. That next Floral Shoppe, cuz fucking really- with punk rock there were more flagship albums then Nevermind The Bullocks. This whole scenario will all ultimately mature the genre and make it stronger and more... real, if that makes any sense...

even if it is dead its influence will carry on...there's still much more to explore with this idea imo.

Exactly. Well said. I dont think its dead, i think it's matured into something real and living, rather than a sleeping concept or potential energy floating around (which ironically enough gave it its charm in the early days- that sort of unaware experiment on autopilot.) Now there's intention, filters, ideas, philosophy, and most impactful--community.. Community that feels the need to consistently "understand" the genre/style, when really there's nothing to understand--and that's kinda the point. Vaporwave is but a dream, here and then gone, and potentially never existed in the first place. Its an elementary school-equation disguised as an ancient buddhist riddle, or vice versa- whichever one prefers to see it as. And that's the fun and power of it. Vaporwave will never die as long as there are still people intrigued by its mystery, its ridiculous pretentiousness, its corny-ness, its weirdness, its hyper-nostalgic gooeyness, its ultimate absurdity, and its simple brilliance.

Edited by Lane Visitor

A few favourites:

Nmesh - nu.wav hallucinations

Nmesh - Dream Sequins

2814 - 新しい日の誕生

Internet Club - Redefining the Workplace

猫 シ Corp. - Special Edition

2047 - Snow

Pursuing Paradise - Adult Contemporary Novel

LifeMod - A

Remember - ルートバックホーム

^ holy shit;

"...all made for the casual businessman who demands style & comfort."

https://mindspringmemories.bandcamp.com/album/destination-infinite

tumblr_nc6ei3KEMz1r4o0eyo1_500.gif

https://momentstogether.bandcamp.com/releases

^ the visuals you post are amazing.. this is the chillest thing ive seen in a while (:

A few favourites:

Nmesh - nu.wav hallucinations

Nmesh - Dream Sequins

2814 - 新しい日の誕生

Internet Club - Redefining the Workplace

猫 シ Corp. - Special Edition

2047 - Snow

Pursuing Paradise - Adult Contemporary Novel

LifeMod - A

Remember - ルートバックホーム

thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCG5kiXRfxQ

Edited by Ayya Khema

why the new account, murphy? was wondering where you had gone :wink:

l wanted to delete my account, so I changed my password and my email with a random email address. now that I want to come back here, I cannot retrieve my previous account. lol