IGNORED

Burial - Truant / Rough Sleeper

Tauhid

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loving this. Rough sleeper proper floors me, Like Truant but not as much but think it will be a grower and the end of it where it goes proper heavy is awesome.

That was the biggest surprise for me on this ep, had only listened to a couple of shitty quality clips before and listening to it properly the bass blew me away, immense!

I like it a lot! At first I was like "pretty good but Kindred was way better", and now on repeated listens it's growing on me, like the Kindred tracks did.

I think this is a great direction for him. Glad he's pursuing longform stuff.

Giving it another go. Truant is a lot darker than the usual stuff from him. To be honest, I don't think the pause/stops work here. Like, the complete silence at the 4:00 mark and then the beginning of a clearly different track. Why not just make i a separate track?! Seems like a bit of a mess.

edit: Just finished my second Truant play. Still does absolutely nothing for me.

Glad he's pursuing longform stuff.

But it's not longform (I wish it was) - it's about a dozen songs with the longest being about 4 minutes.

See, I disagree here! There's something cohesive about the tracks to me. This is going to sound academic and cheeky but the "pasted togetherness" is integral to each individual section, and to the collection of sections.

Also, having long compositions that directly evolve from one section to another is a new thing. Classical forms are often collections of sections 3-4 minutes long.

am loving it, but yeah defo a grower I like it more with each listen and think its possible I may end up liking it more kindred.

The mix tape format annoyed me a little at 1st but think it works really well now ,it kinda feels like you have had a whole album worth of sustenance crammed into 25 gorgeous minutes.

the various pieces of rough sleeper seem to make a lot more sense together for me than the shards that make up truant.

regardless, some of the best music i've heard this year. i suspect if you stuck it together with street halo and kindred and called it all an album you'd be hearing a lot less complaints.

It's like scenes from a cool as fuck movie.

Burial: film composer

Yep, some of the most visual music I have heard this year besides RIP. As I said reminds me of atmospheres Fincher created in Girl w/ Dragon Tatoo ... RIP is more like Stalker or something abstract but textural.

Archived