IGNORED

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Alzado

CD and vinyl both arrived this morning, fucking grand. Don't know if anyone's commented, but it seems a little surprising that the vinyl is a straight-up gatefold, seeing how extravagant the packaging for Exai and Ufabulum was. Not moaning mind, TH still looks sexy as fuck.

TH by far the least accessible? Why? I don't see why TH would be far less accessible than the other albums. It doesn't sound more complex. Nor does it sound as the most dark (geogaddi is still darker, imo). People are allowed to like TH without getting all the subliminal/palindrome stuff, right?

It is a somewhat less "coherent" album I'll say. That is compared to MHTRTC and their earlier albums. The tracks don't flow into each other and the overall feel is a bit chaotic, imho. Not saying people can't like it. I just think it would be easier for me to get into BoC via MHTRTC or TCH than TH.

Sorry, but I can't relate to that at all.

The only place where the flow is disrupted is at the start of that palace track. Everything else is one piece of flowing trippyness. The irony is that upon first listen the tracks sounded a bit sparse to me. ( had that feeling back in 98 as well, btw) Especially at the start of the tracks, where the melodies start off almost like simple one finger on the piano melodies. To a certain extent TH came off as surprisingly minimal. Yes, I heard some stuff happening in the background, but apparently I'm one of those people who need to read that interview to become aware of the "subliminal"/palindromic stuff. But this album doesn't overwhelm me one bit with too much detail, or chaos.

It doesn't overwhelm YOU, because you're an alert artistic person. Try playing this album to the type of person who listens to mostly Pop music and I'd say that several of the tracks would have them uncomfortable. More so than Geogaddi, not to say that that album is completely radio friendly either.

No download code to be seen anywhere, or any promo stickers.

Damn. No extra goodies at all... I was really hoping for something, but so be it.

the download code was inside the left sleeve of the gatefold, along with the disc 1 sleeve.

if it's not there at all, that's really poor form for bleep not to include the extras to those that pre-oredered :|

Nope. Nothing in the vinyl, cd or packaging of either. £50 spent with bleep and false promises. I'll send an email but i'd imagine nothing will happen.

Quality album though.

Guest Starblazer

Got cd/2xvinyl/1 t-shirt.

Cd & t-shirt came in separate package.

No goodies, download codes or anything so it seems....disappointed in bleep this time round, think I'll pre-order from shops next time, just glad I ordered one from america which will come with poster and download card :D

Got cd/2xvinyl/1 t-shirt.

Cd & t-shirt came in separate package.

No goodies, download codes or anything so it seems....disappointed in bleep this time round, think I'll pre-order from shops next time, just glad I ordered one from america which will come with poster and download card :D

Wait... what?? How the fuck are you getting a poster??

Mine arrived this morning.

I so want to like this, but I'm pretty underwhelmed, to be honest. I hope it grows on me. 'Reach for the Dead' is the best track by far; many others seem 'bitty' and underdeveloped to me, and I find the fact that they don't flow into each other only increases that sense of lack. 'Jacquard Causeway' is my least favourite one on the album and it left a pretty sour taste in my mouth for the rest. Perhaps I shouldn't have got too into the hype and the crazily positive responses I was seeing here and elsewhere, or re-listened to their back catalogue in preparation for this one (at the moment, to me, this album completely pales in comparison to the rest!) I also don't find it 'dark' (sorry, I don't like that word either, but can't think of another!) at all - after everything I read and after seeing all the imagery, I was hoping for something much darker, something more tense and moody and mysterious and cinematic and challenging. The only challenging aspect is how they decided to leave things quite minimal and how they've cut certain ideas short just as they get going!

I'm not sure what they've been up to for the last 8 years (it doesn't sound like too many of those years was actually spent on this album to me), but I did enjoy following the pre-release antics and it was fun getting excited about BoC again. Getting back into their old work was a wonderful experience. I don't mean to be negative - but for those who haven't heard it yet, I hope you enjoy it! Don't expect it to be quite as bleak, deep or 'flowing' as many have made it out to be, though.

Edited by Lianne

Because I'm a cheeky sod and pester like a bitch when I want something :P

Oh yeah, because I don't. Seriously. I want a fucking poster!!!!! Who did you pester?

I so want to like this, but I'm pretty underwhelmed, to be honest. I hope it grows on me. 'Reach for the Dead' is the best track by far; many others seem 'bitty' and underdeveloped to me, and I find the fact that they don't flow into each other only increases that sense of lack. 'Jacquard Causeway' is my least favourite one on the album and it left a pretty sour taste in my mouth for the rest. Perhaps I shouldn't have got too into the hype and the crazily positive responses I was seeing here and elsewhere, or re-listened to their back catalogue in preparation for this one (at the moment, to me, this album completely pales in comparison to the rest!) I also don't find it 'dark' (sorry, I don't like that word either, but can't think of another!) at all - after everything I read and after seeing all the imagery, I was hoping for something much darker, something more tense and moody and mysterious and cinematic and challenging. The only challenging aspect is how they decided to leave things quite minimal and how they've cut certain ideas short just as they get going!

I'm not sure what they've been up to for the last 8 years (it doesn't sound like too many of those years was actually spent on this album to me), but I did enjoy following the pre-release antics and it was fun getting excited about BoC again. Getting back into their old work was a wonderful experience. I don't mean to be negative - but for those who haven't heard it yet, I hope you enjoy it! Don't expect it to be quite as bleak, deep or 'flowing' as many have made it out to be, though.

The overwhelming majority of fans on this forum and others, as well as stellar reviews suggest that this is a classic.

I don't agree. I've been listening to this solidly for three days but I'm beginning to wonder if a) I'm doing this simply because it's BOC and b) I've waited eight years for an album.

I don't want to get into any arguments here or stir up abuse - If you really like the album - great. I'm happy for you. Please don't start flaming me simply because my opinion doesn't fall in with yours.

Music means different things to different people.

For me, it has always come down to a familiar pattern with their releases. Every album has a fair share of fillers, a couple of good tracks and two or three tracks that are just so far removed from the others, so stellar and fantastic that I still find myself returning to them long after the rest has been mostly forgotten.

On 'Tomorrow's Harvest' the first two types are in evidence. The third is sadly missing.

People will say I'm not giving it a fair chance. BOC slowly reveal the magic over months of playing. I've never found that to be the case with them before. There have always been standout tracks right off the bat.

I don't know why it took them eight years to put out an album and frankly, it's none of my business.

I can only go on what I'm given and this time around, it feels like something is missing.

The overwhelming majority of fans on this forum and others, as well as stellar reviews suggest that this is a classic.

I don't agree. I've been listening to this solidly for three days but I'm beginning to wonder if a) I'm doing this simply because it's BOC and b) I've waited eight years for an album.

I don't want to get into any arguments here or stir up abuse - If you really like the album - great. I'm happy for you. Please don't start flaming me simply because my opinion doesn't fall in with yours.

For me, it has always come down to a familiar pattern with their releases. Every album has a fair share of fillers, a couple of good tracks and two or three tracks that are just so far removed from the others, so stellar and fantastic that I still find myself returning to them long after the rest has been mostly forgotten.

On 'Tomorrow's Harvest' the first two types are in evidence. The third is sadly missing.

People will say I'm not giving it a fair chance. BOC slowly reveal the magic over months of playing. I've never found that to be the case with them before. There have always been standout tracks right off the bat.

I don't know why it took them eight years to put out an album and frankly, it's none of my business.

I can only go on what I'm given and this time around, it feels like something is missing.

Beautifully said... :)

Dat tape hiss.

But more importantly, this does album have the oscilik seal of approval?

Thanks, grammar.

Dat tape hiss.

But more importantly, this does album have the oscilik seal of approval?

not heard it yet, vinyl still hasn't arrived.

Did you order it separately? Mines arrived altogether.

Edited by NorthernFusion

Guest Gravity

That sucks man, it's hard to wait such a long time for something only to not feel it much.

Oh and Lianne, you may like it after multiple listens. I hated Jacquard at first too.

Waiting for the vinyl is just grandstanding Oscilik.

Fumi the only thing I can say is that I think they've purposely avoided having tracks that standout. That's the impression I get from the interview. More than any other past work, I think they were going for a true album experience. So if you are going to enjoy this album, you're going to have to enjoy it that way rather than hoping it will meet your expectations for what a BOC album should sound like. This album is definitely different. Thank god! It's up to you to decide whether you're able to be open to what comes next or whether you're going to keep hoping for them to repeat a pattern that you find satisfying.

Edited by LOL Alzado

Guest feralkittens

It's ok you guys. You don't have to like it! Some people just aren't going to. I know that sucks after an 8 year wait, but it can't be helped that it's just not gonna sound good to some people. I guess we all have things we like in particular about BoC and if you're not hearing the things you like here then it's understandable.

I think it's their apex in songwriting/creating moods. It's not even a mood I particularly like, but it's very effective and the tunes sound great in my earholes. I lucked out that this is exactly what I wanted without even knowing it. But they're not dark wizards who can make something that will appeal to everyone and that's ok. Fuck dark wizards anyway.

That sucks man, it's hard to wait such a long time for something only to not feel it much.

Oh and Lianne, you may like it after multiple listens. I hated Jacquard at first too.

I didn't want to give the feeling I don't like it. I do.

Everything is present and correct - the sound we've all come to know and love.

However, this time around, there are no tracks that have just had me shaking my head in disbelief and thinking 'How could anyone create something that beautiful?'

Everyone will have a different take on this album, I'm sure.

I got my vinyl today, it smells great. :-)

Loving the album, it has become the soundtrack to my life this week (and will be way way beyond).

The journey since RSD has been brilliant, it has been a great thing to follow and chat about (even if a lot of people do look at you like you are from another planet).

Screw them, go BoC!

Fumi the only thing I can say is that I think they've purposely avoided having tracks that standout. That's the impression I get from the interview. More than any other past work, I think they were going for a true album experience. So if you are going to enjoy this album, you're going to have to enjoy it that way rather than hoping it will meet your expectations for what a BOC album should sound like. This album is definitely different. Thank god! It's up to you to decide whether you're able to be open to what comes next or whether you're going to keep hoping for them to repeat a pattern that you find satisfying.

Yes, I agree that they went for a more cohesive, overall experience this time around.

As artists, I'm glad they went with something different. Who wants to just hear the same thing again? Not me, for sure.

I just don't imagine returning to it in the same way I've done with all their other stuff.

Having said all that, I'm still glad they are putting work out and making people happy.

I didn't want to give the feeling I don't like it. I do.

Everything is present and correct - the sound we've all come to know and love.

However, this time around, there are no tracks that have just had me shaking my head in disbelief and thinking 'How could anyone create something that beautiful?'

Everyone will have a different take on this album, I'm sure.

Nothing Is Real doesn't do that for you?

Guest Gravity

I get that sort of feeling with the ending of Come to Dust, the background/shiny atmosphere of Nothing is Real that kicks in halfway, the ending of Palace Posy and that really lush synth a bit into the intro of Split Your Infinities. Also, that "thank you, ??????" bit that goes then goes into the skittery vocals on Sick Times kicks fucking ass. Maybe I'm just easy. :]