IGNORED

Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks

YO303

not really impressed with the new track... his vocals really do ruin it don't they? the lyrics have gone full retard. I wanted to look forward to this one but if it all sounds like that I'll just skip and go listen to TDS and The Fragile

Edited by ghOsty

I thought he was supposed to be doing something different or more experimental? Sounds mostly like more of the same to me. As others have pointed out, the vocals do ruin it a bit and I guess that's what will always make his music sound like more of the same.

I don't hate the song but I'm not impressed. Of course I will still listen to the album, but I won't be buying it. For some reason NIN was one of those artists I always bought everything from, all the way up to The Slip. I don't mean all the Halo singles and all that crap (or even live and remix albums), just normal albums. I started wondering why I was still doing that around Year Zero, yet I still bought Ghosts and The Slip. They don't suck, but they also didn't get more than 7/10 from me. Just ok stuff that I was listening to since high school. Would I buy this new one if I was still buying CDs today? I don't think so, is what I'm trying to say. Actually it was around the release of With Teeth that I started thinking, "shut up!" Generally I don't have any issues with his music but when he stopped being angry he became annoying. Each album has had its share of good songs despite the vocals, but as a whole that's my biggest beef with the post-Fragile stuff. Maybe he should start using effects. I mean if you're going to "reinvent" yourself or your band, you can't just take a different approach to the music, IMO. Change your vocal sound/style.

not really impressed with the new track... his vocals really do ruin it don't they? the lyrics have gone full retard. I wanted to look forward to this one but if it all sounds like that I'll just skip and go listen to TDS and The Fragile

this

this

...yeah....

It's not terrible... there's worse on With Teeth (The Collector) but the ultra clean production (which I really like actually) just doesn't fit the vocal style or lyrics at all... it just shows off how ridiculous he sounds even more than ever...

I just realized right this second I couldn't give a flying fuck anymore about NIN, this new track I can't even be bothered to play.

That Social Network soundtrack was pretty cool, but NIN? Lets all just be honest with each other its been long, long dead. There's been a few interesting things, that Survivalism track was pretty good and a few tracks here and there, but its over.

To me NIN seems to be some sort of personal ego trip for Reznor. Fact of the matter is that Cash's version of Hurt did a lot of good for him, probably more than Reznor himself has achieved of late.

I dunno, maybe i'm in a bad mood lol. Just bored with all the Reznor bullshit and photo's of him looking all moody, stern and serious. And all his big words on how NIN is going to save the universe, and his belief we really need in him in our lives. TDS came out fucking years ago mate, I'm now in my thirties and I don't really give a shit anymore about your opinions on the world. Get me?

In otherwords? Fuck off.

Lol

Edited by beerwolf

hmm quite enjoyed listening to this new song but is nothing special and have heard it all before, Still interested to hear the album

Agree with people saying Still is probably the best thing he has ever done would like to hear him switch things up a bit more like that and try something different

Anyhow not sure my opinion counts for that much seeing as the How to Destroy Angles album is one of my fav albums this year... no jokes, proper love the production on it, dont know why every1 seems to hate it so much, for me its the best thing Trent has done for sometime

track is allright, sounds like a b-side from With Teeth, still optimistic because i like With Teeth. NIN lyrics never bother me but this new song is like something out of Korn. 6.5/10

Can a mod edit the title please?

I like the cover

NIN_albumart.jpg

Edited by Deer

so once again we have a song that sounds like he's just lifting riffs from previous works. I Can't pin it down exactly but this track sounds like it has the cadence and melodic passages from Mr Self Destruct, Capital G and a bunch of other shit just mashed up. It sort of reminds me of early Danny Elfman, where he had such a characteristic style that all his work during a certain time period just sounds like he's redoing the same melodic passages.

Edit: the intro to the track sounds like a total redux of Starfuckers to me also. It would be interesting for someone to come up with visual 'melodic map' of all of Reznor's music and what songs they originally call back to. Without knowing a lick about music theory I'm not sure if the chord progressions and such would be technically the same, but they *sound* the fucking same, and i don't think i'm hallucinating or just trying to hear it.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

the cover is pretty cool, at least best since tds. the track had some kind of potential but i think since with teeth my problem is the simplicity of the arrangements. if he's going to go from the complex multi-layered beast that was the fragile and do simplistic, repetitive pop style compositions, he should at least have SOMETHING in there that's groundbreaking. if his voice is going to be so prominently featured and the tracks are going to hinge on it so much, why not try to get into harmonies more like he did with all the love in the world? why not have a 'solo' type moment somewhere in the track where it comes a bit off the rails and gets a bit dangerous? instead everything is just so perfect and neat and tidy and controlled and utterly boring. the stuff that is there is ok but there needs to be some progression or some chaos along with it.

The artwork is an obvious Downward Spiral throwback.

I think the only NIN I've ever heard is The Downward Spiral and Fixed/Broken EPs. I've been listening to those consistently for years, but I never got around to listening the rest of his stuff. I tried listening to Pretty Hate Machine but never made it past the first 4 or 5 tracks. I've never even listened to The Fragile. Maybe Downward and the EPs are all the NIN I need

the cover is pretty cool, at least best since tds. the track had some kind of potential but i think since with teeth my problem is the simplicity of the arrangements. if he's going to go from the complex multi-layered beast that was the fragile and do simplistic, repetitive pop style compositions, he should at least have SOMETHING in there that's groundbreaking. if his voice is going to be so prominently featured and the tracks are going to hinge on it so much, why not try to get into harmonies more like he did with all the love in the world? why not have a 'solo' type moment somewhere in the track where it comes a bit off the rails and gets a bit dangerous? instead everything is just so perfect and neat and tidy and controlled and utterly boring. the stuff that is there is ok but there needs to be some progression or some chaos along with it.

incredibly well said about this new single.

I think the only NIN I've ever heard is The Downward Spiral and Fixed/Broken EPs. I've been listening to those consistently for years, but I never got around to listening the rest of his stuff.

Interesting... so what's your take on this new single given that you haven't heard any new nin since tds? (that's so hard to believe lol)... part of me is curious if ive just gotten so used to the blandness of his recent output, that im being overly critical of it when i hear it...

Just listened to it a few more times, and actually I have to say, it's getting better the more I play it. Came Back Haunted just may be one of those tracks that get better upon further listening.. I do like the area toward the end where Trent kinda goes off a bit -- ya know that whole black-southern-baptist-woman-trapped-inside-of-trents-body (but in an industrial/aggro fashion) soulful variation type thing he does on final choruses-- it made me smile when he did that, cuz honestly, that's half the reason i like hearing trent sing. there's this bluesy element to his vocals that when he belts out phrases on certain notes, it makes you feel something, something very strong... just wish he would do more of that stuff.. he has sounded "bored" on his last few releases.. cold and careless. hearing this new single again def gives me a little more hope.. there's def some excitement, but i still hope that this is a "weaker" softer cut from the upcoming lp... hoping for some energy, melody, insanely distorted guitar licks, damaged vocals, chaotic layers and some flat out extreme sh*t...

the kind of extreme sh*t that got me into nin in the first place. i remember being in like 5th grade, with my best friend at Sam Goody, buying TDS and hearing Big Man With A Gun, and returning it cuz I thought it was violent, scary, disturbing and evil... but buying it again a few days later, cuz it was oh so thrilling...

If I could feel just 1% of that thrill again with new NIN, I will be a happy boy.

:rhubear1:

^ agreed, on all points. I love when he really plays it up live too (cf. the evolved version of Terrible Lie); if only he captured some of that energy on recordings. I think it'd be better if he recorded this album after the tour so it had some of that ridiculousness in it.

so once again we have a song that sounds like he's just lifting riffs from previous works. I Can't pin it down exactly but this track sounds like it has the cadence and melodic passages from Mr Self Destruct, Capital G and a bunch of other shit just mashed up. It sort of reminds me of early Danny Elfman, where he had such a characteristic style that all his work during a certain time period just sounds like he's redoing the same melodic passages.

Edit: the intro to the track sounds like a total redux of Starfuckers to me also. It would be interesting for someone to come up with visual 'melodic map' of all of Reznor's music and what songs they originally call back to. Without knowing a lick about music theory I'm not sure if the chord progressions and such would be technically the same, but they *sound* the fucking same, and i don't think i'm hallucinating or just trying to hear it.

To be honest, his typical melodic progressions are what I like about his music, e.g. using a minor 7th for the vocal melodies over a major chord etc.. I agree that it can be overused, but it's really more that he's got a very distinct melodic style, imo.

^ agreed, on all points. I love when he really plays it up live too (cf. the evolved version of Terrible Lie); if only he captured some of that energy on recordings. I think it'd be better if he recorded this album after the tour so it had some of that ridiculousness in it.

Yes, agreed.. that would be rad! and I think do remember hearing that more amped up Terrible Lie version... on the Beside You In Time DVD if im not mistaken? .. some great performances on there for sure

Yeah, I saw them on one of the last shows in 2009 and it was fucking awesome. Just a raw, stripped back rock show, but so damn brutal.

I wouldn't be against a full synthpop album, actually. This new track hints at that kind of direction. Second listen and I'm enjoying it a bit more.