IGNORED

Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks

YO303

i actually wouldnt mind like a short ep of dance pop/synthpop from nin, maybe as a side project.. but not ft. timbaland or anything. it's gotta be produced all by trent, and hopefully it would have a "purest feeling"/"sin"/"thats what i get" late 80s/early 90s synthpop vibe.. that would be my secret nin gift wish...

i would also die for some kind of continuation of mr self destruct/piggy/march of the pigs sound... and most mmmm-worthy, songs in the vein of the tds track, the becoming.... annnniie hold a little tighter, i just might slip awayyyyyyy God i love that song.

i actually wouldnt mind like a short ep of dance pop/synthpop from nin, maybe as a side project.. but not ft. timbaland or anything. it's gotta be produced all by trent, and hopefully it would have a "purest feeling"/"sin"/"thats what i get" late 80s/early 90s synthpop vibe.. that would be my secret nin gift wish...

i would also die for some kind of continuation of mr self destruct/piggy/march of the pigs sound... and most mmmm-worthy, songs in the vein of the tds track, the becoming.... annnniie hold a little tighter, i just might slip awayyyyyyy God i love that song.

I guess you haven't heard this then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu9bm-RJMWM

yeah, def.. heard this-- epic epic track.. very becoming/mr self destruct-esque in terms of chaos, thanks for sharing (:

i cant get enough of those bendy, fiercely distorted guitar and synth licks.. the genius of trent is that sometimes i cant even tell if a sound is a guitar or a synth.

yeah, def.. heard this-- epic epic track.. very becoming/mr self destruct-esque in terms of chaos, thanks for sharing (:

i cant get enough of those bendy, fiercely distorted guitar and synth licks.. the genius of trent is that sometimes i cant even tell if a sound is a guitar or a synth.

was really pleased to hear that track after all the rest of the stuff coming out. I somehow doubt that the new stuff will be as hard hitting as this one.

ruiner horns for the win

best thing he's done in aaages. if i had an album of this, i'd need a change of pants.

I guess you haven't heard this then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu9bm-RJMWM[/size]

Although I'm not setting any high expectations, I'll no doubt check it out when it is released.

As far as recent NIN output is concerned, Year Zero was the last release that I enjoyed a lot. If the lyrics are a big turn-off for most people (which is understandable), just download the instrumental versions of the tracks via the NIN remix site http://remix.nin.com/

I just love the distorted synth work on that album and I wish he had explored this area further.

Although I'm not setting any high expectations, I'll no doubt check it out when it is released.

As far as recent NIN output is concerned, Year Zero was the last release that I enjoyed a lot. If the lyrics are a big turn-off for most people (which is understandable), just download the instrumental versions of the tracks via the NIN remix site http://remix.nin.com/

I just love the distorted synth work on that album and I wish he had explored this area further.

good post mate (because I agree with everything you said lol)

good post mate (because I agree with everything you said lol)

The reason I keep coming back to hear or pay attention to a new, upcoming release from NIN is because Year Zero is still fairly recent - if that album was never created, and we had been left with the Ghosts tracks, The Slip etc., then I probably would have given up on Reznor altogether in terms of future releases. There's still a little bit of hope in me that he'd go back to the Year Zero sound, and expand upon it some more, or perhaps take that style and manipulate it into another interesting package of tracks. Again, I emphasise that it's the Year Zero instrumentals that skeptics need to pay attention to - there are some really good skills at work on that album. Ignore the lyrics if they're too hard to withstand.

there are some fantastic production chops on display in Year Zero undoubtedly. It's an expertly produced album.

My main problem isn't really even with the lyrics either (which admittedly are a problem overall). It's that I feel Trent can't get out of this sort of weird feedback loop he's been in since TDS where he can't write a melody or motif or chord progression that doesn't echo something he's already done before. And when he does sort of go outside of those motifs, they aren't very good. He's very reliant on the melodies and chord progressions of his previous best work.

Am I crazy or does it sound to others like all the songs on Year Zero and the Fragile are variations of songs like Reptile, March of the Pigs, Closer, Piggy ? The Reptile motif seems to come up quite a bit in his later work.

I feel like the last poppy track he made that really stood out as being something 'new' for him was a Perfect Drug, and since then he's even recycled the melodies and mood from that track but not as well as the original. All of the best songs on the Fragile still sound like re-treads of previous hits. The Day the world went away is among my favorites, but it sounds eerily familiar. Even we're in this together now sounds oddly like the Filter song 'hey man nice shot' especially the chorus. It just weirds me out. Like doesn't he notice these similarities too or is he literally not able to tell?

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Guest Gravity

New track premiering Thursday, "Came Back Haunted". Hoping for the best.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/06/nine-inch-nails-to-debut-new-single-on-thursday/

According to Los Angeles radio station KROQ, the song is titled “Came Back Haunted” and will premiere Thursday at 2:30pm ET/11:30pm PT. KROQ’s Program Director Lisa Worden says the song “harkens back to early Nine Inch Nails,” adding, “I think it’s in line with the first two albums. It’s got a great beat, it’s not the experimental material Trent’s done in the last five years.”

New track premiering Thursday, "Came Back Haunted". Hoping for the best.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/06/nine-inch-nails-to-debut-new-single-on-thursday/

According to Los Angeles radio station KROQ, the song is titled “Came Back Haunted” and will premiere Thursday at 2:30pm ET/11:30pm PT. KROQ’s Program Director Lisa Worden says the song “harkens back to early Nine Inch Nails,” adding, “I think it’s in line with the first two albums. It’s got a great beat, it’s not the experimental material Trent’s done in the last five years.”

that's a strange declaration, Pretty Hate Machine is clearly poppy but how is Broken not considered 'experimental'? especially in comparison to Year Zero or the Slip? I don't see how either of those are in any way experimental. Broken was a fairly experimental and ground breaking album when it came out, Year Zero and Slip were not by any measure. I suppose Ghosts qualifies, but it's about on par with the Quake soundtrack in terms of being experimental, and that album came out 10 years earlier.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Guest RadarJammer

there is no douchier feeling than listening to downward spiral in 2013 but its still amazing in the context of it being an over the top early 90's pro tools workflow with tons of layers and experimental boundry pushing software processing. i think TDS prettymuch defines computer music production.

at this point if Trent did an unplugged NIN album with him at a piano with an acoustic guitar recorded in a live setting it would be far more 'experimental' than doing albums that sound like dried up behind the technological curve angsty power metal industrial pop