IGNORED

Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks

YO303

Hesitation Marks was mastered in two different ways - the standard, “loud” mastering (which is what you’ll find on the CD, on iTunes, and everywhere else), and also an alternate “audiophile” mastering, which we’re offering as a free download option for anyone who purchases the album throughhttp://store.nin.com/ . For the majority of people, the standard version will be preferable and differences will be difficult to detect. Audiophiles with high-end equipment and an understanding of the mastering process might prefer the alternate version.

For a detailed explanation with quotes from Alan Moulder and Tom Baker, read our blog post at http://nineinchnails.tumblr.com/post/59587808317/hesitation-marks-was-mastered-in-two-different

NOTE: The standard mastered version is in no way inferior to the Audiophile Version - we wouldn’t release something inferior as the default. And vinyl purists rest assured, the vinyl edition was mastered to sound the very best for that format. The Audiophile Version is merely an alternate take on the mastering, which some people will appreciate. It’s meant to give a slightly different experience, not denigrate the standard version. Listen to each and come to your own conclusions.

Huh. I might have to give it a listen. I think the sound design on this album is spectacular, especially on a good set of speakers.

I do miss acoustic drums though. That said, this is clearly a synthpop album so the electronic drums definitely suit the aesthetic.

Hesitation Marks was mastered in two different ways - the standard, “loud” mastering (which is what you’ll find on the CD, on iTunes, and everywhere else), and also an alternate “audiophile” mastering, which we’re offering as a free download option for anyone who purchases the album throughhttp://store.nin.com/ . For the majority of people, the standard version will be preferable and differences will be difficult to detect. Audiophiles with high-end equipment and an understanding of the mastering process might prefer the alternate version.

For a detailed explanation with quotes from Alan Moulder and Tom Baker, read our blog post at http://nineinchnails.tumblr.com/post/59587808317/hesitation-marks-was-mastered-in-two-different

NOTE: The standard mastered version is in no way inferior to the Audiophile Version - we wouldn’t release something inferior as the default. And vinyl purists rest assured, the vinyl edition was mastered to sound the very best for that format. The Audiophile Version is merely an alternate take on the mastering, which some people will appreciate. It’s meant to give a slightly different experience, not denigrate the standard version. Listen to each and come to your own conclusions.

Wow, I honestly applaud TR for doing this.

Maybe all albums should be mastered and released that way, with a loudness-minded master and then a quality-minded one.

Maybe all albums should be mastered and released that way, with a loudness-minded master and then a quality-minded one.

Woah, imagine a not-brickwalled Clark album !

he seems to cover old songs one by one on this release.

Care to elaborate?

the song "All Time Low" features the same delayed repetition on the word "high" as in "10 Miles High (Remix Version)"

"I Would For You" sounds also very similar to a song he did before I just have to listen again to his earlier stuff to tell exactly which one

Edited by o00o

Yeah, almost every beat, sound and vocal line jostles my memory to an earlier NIN song (usually multiple) so that I often have that other NIN song in my head while I listen to the new one. It sounds cool though.

I hear it in a few places, but it doesn't really bother me.

Is there a list of where the additional musicians appeared or am I gonna have to wait for a physical copy? I can barely hear Belew on this!

Guest Gravity

I hear it in a few places, but it doesn't really bother me.

Is there a list of where the additional musicians appeared or am I gonna have to wait for a physical copy? I can barely hear Belew on this!

Someone got the album early:

si3u.jpg

Edited by Gravity

Wow, I honestly applaud TR for doing this.

Nothing new but I'm glad to see him doing this. I hope others will follow his example.

Yeah, almost every beat, sound and vocal line jostles my memory to an earlier NIN song (usually multiple) so that I often have that other NIN song in my head while I listen to the new one. It sounds cool though.

I hear it too, but at the same time I don't think it's a bad thing. NIN (like BoC or Burial) are one of those groups where I want their new stuff to sound (at least partially) like their old stuff.

Woah, imagine a not-brickwalled Clark album !

*considers posting Scanners gif but not sure if kosher these days*

Edited by LimpyLoo

haha, i mean even though i enjoy the Fragile. from that album on I've felt like he's been doing nothing BUT quasi covers and reinterpretations of his own work. Very strange indeed

yeah and now he crosses the line from cover to copy

Edited by o00o