IGNORED

Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks

YO303

It also kinda makes me mad that visually he's trying to associate this with The Downward Spiral - there isn't a track on this release worthy of being included as a bonus track on TDS, let alone even being classed in the same category. It's as forgettable as The Slip was.

I have no idea why they thought it would be a good idea to have that kind of association, especially since that artwork is so fucking 'classic' and inexorably linked to that sound

Agreed - that was one of the things that made TDS so perfect - the artwork, fonts, everything fit the music perfectly. I even remember trying to emulate that painting style at the time when I was in art school and failed horribly, LOL.

you probably weren't using enough of your own feces, semen, blood, or teeth.

did you use your feathers though? :beer:

I did! I got some chicken feathers from my mother-in-law's yard. Made a gooey mess. I was using oils with a palette knife to try and achieve the amazing textures the album artwork had.

joyrex pls

post pics

Oh lord, that was nearly 20 years ago - I was so disgusted with my feeble attempt I know I didn't keep the canvases... probably have been in a landfill somewhere for at least the past 15+ years if not more...

I do still have my marker illustration of Trent Reznor from art school, though.

can it compare with Cryptowen's awesome rendition?

nm9HMwU.jpg

Well, I finally broke down and listened to this - in a nutshell: Trent's balls must have shriveled up when he 'roided out and lost his neck. This does not sound like NIN - at first, I got a Pretty Hate Machine vibe (not a bad thing to revisit one's roots), but then it devolved into soulless, boring beats and lyrics that have zero feeling to them - one of the things I always liked about Reznor's singing, no matter how cliched the lyrics might have been, was you could hear the pain and conviction in his voice - this sounds like he's going though the motions, and there's no anger, despite the lyrics indicating otherwise. It also kinda makes me mad that visually he's trying to associate this with The Downward Spiral - there isn't a track on this release worthy of being included as a bonus track on TDS, let alone even being classed in the same category. It's as forgettable as The Slip was.

i feel like i don't even know you anymore

Edited by modey

I listened to this two days ago, finally thought I may as well listen to the whole thing rather than just passing judgement on the stuff I'd heard so far.

First impressions: Better than WITHA_TEETHA, but very samey melodically and structurally. only track that really stands out to me is All Time Low

Okay okay, I know everybody hates the track Everything and I can understand why, but I'm a sucker for that style of tune (Peter Hook bass lines swirling around, and then taking off into space before dipping again back to earth) Love it. Sorry.

It also kinda makes me mad that visually he's trying to associate this with The Downward Spiral - there isn't a track on this release worthy of being included as a bonus track on TDS, let alone even being classed in the same category. It's as forgettable as The Slip was.

I have no idea why they thought it would be a good idea to have that kind of association, especially since that artwork is so fucking 'classic' and inexorably linked to that sound

Agreed - that was one of the things that made TDS so perfect - the artwork, fonts, everything fit the music perfectly. I even remember trying to emulate that painting style at the time when I was in art school and failed horribly, LOL.

you probably weren't using enough of your own feces, semen, blood, or teeth.

did you use your feathers though? :beer:

I did! I got some chicken feathers from my mother-in-law's yard. Made a gooey mess. I was using oils with a palette knife to try and achieve the amazing textures the album artwork had.

joyrex pls

post pics

Oh lord, that was nearly 20 years ago - I was so disgusted with my feeble attempt I know I didn't keep the canvases... probably have been in a landfill somewhere for at least the past 15+ years if not more...

I do still have my marker illustration of Trent Reznor from art school, though.

can it compare with Cryptowen's awesome rendition?

nm9HMwU.jpg

FUCKING LOL - mine is, let's say, "more accurate" (pre-roided Reznor), but lacks the LOL-worthiness of this version!

It's one of my favorites from nin. It doesn't beat "the fragile" and espacially not "downward spiral" But i like how trent turned his sound upside down and made it look like he wasn't even away with nine inch nails. I liked the ep from " How to destroy angels", the full length left me worried as i've heard that a new nails record is coming out. But it turned out better than i expected.

I don't think it helps when the vocals sound like they're taken from Dawson's Creek

it's not even that... like, I tried listening to the previews of the new OPN album, having never heard his stuff before and I'm sat here thinking this is happening to me while I listen

ibv6Yj868XJNAS.gif

I just don't "get" it

Edited by oscillik

just reposting this fine piece of jazz

tumblr_mjca9oBfkC1qzi2vjo1_500.jpg

LOL, is that an actual picture of Trent with a pink beret on, or was that photoshopped?

I got a genuine LOL out of this

I don't think it helps when the vocals sound like they're taken from Dawson's Creek

I'll admit that I enjoy the album more for the instrumentals than the vocals. In fact, they kind of get in the way i.m.o.

Well, I finally broke down and listened to this - in a nutshell: Trent's balls must have shriveled up when he 'roided out and lost his neck. This does not sound like NIN - at first, I got a Pretty Hate Machine vibe (not a bad thing to revisit one's roots), but then it devolved into soulless, boring beats and lyrics that have zero feeling to them - one of the things I always liked about Reznor's singing, no matter how cliched the lyrics might have been, was you could hear the pain and conviction in his voice - this sounds like he's going though the motions, and there's no anger, despite the lyrics indicating otherwise. It also kinda makes me mad that visually he's trying to associate this with The Downward Spiral - there isn't a track on this release worthy of being included as a bonus track on TDS, let alone even being classed in the same category. It's as forgettable as The Slip was.

A few pages back weren’t you bitching about how trent is still trying to sound angry & angsty but it comes over as contrived now? Soz if that wasn’t you cant be arsed to go back and check but it it was its pretty funny that you dont like this because its not angry enough!!

I like the fact he goes for a different vibe on this and dont think the beats are boring, rhythmically this is prob the most interesting thing he has ever done.

clearly I don't "get" Oneohtrix Point Never... I thought that was absolute shite.

I thought I was the only one

What the fuck is up with that remix? Those ideas are just not gonna work sitting underneath a Trent Reznor vocal.

Once again: OPN if you're reading this I love you and I think you're a genius but what is the deal with airline food?

If and when OPN stops being loyal to some certain clique or niche, he'll get even better. As of now I really like him about 80% of the time. His new album pleasantly surprised me and I haven't listened to the NIN remix yet, but I will soon. Stay tune for my detailed report at 11.

A few pages back weren’t you bitching about how trent is still trying to sound angry & angsty but it comes over as contrived now? Soz if that wasn’t you cant be arsed to go back and check but it it was its pretty funny that you dont like this because its not angry enough!!

I like the fact he goes for a different vibe on this and dont think the beats are boring, rhythmically this is prob the most interesting thing he has ever done.

You're right - I guess I was expecting him with this release to a) actually be "angry" and put the emotion and emphasis in his vocals to match the lyrics, but also for the music itself to sound "angry" - there's nothing harsh or "mean" about these songs, and perhaps that's the point (I'm missing) - nothing wrong with him going in a different direction, but I think perhaps he's too well known for angry, angsty lyrics and sounds, so anything new he tries sounds contrived.

I dunno. I haven't listened to it since that initial listen - perhaps I'll give it another spin and see if my original opinion still stands.

If and when OPN stops being loyal to some certain clique or niche, he'll get even better. As of now I really like him about 80% of the time. His new album pleasantly surprised me and I haven't listened to the NIN remix yet, but I will soon. Stay tune for my detailed report at 11.

I couldn't even listen to the OPN remix - it wasn't a great song to remix in the first place, and honestly, nothing I've heard of OPN (and by GOD I hate his fucking artist name) has impressed me.

I couldn't even listen to the OPN remix - it wasn't a great song to remix in the first place, and honestly, nothing I've heard of OPN (and by GOD I hate his fucking artist name) has impressed me.

I think I listened to one music vid by OPN that someone posted here about a month back, but wasn't all that impressed. I'm hesitant to listen to more because his alias sounds like the title of a shitty over-hyped anime adored by overbearing Japanophiles with inadequate hygiene and vitamin D. I'm not saying that fan-base description applies to OPN fans too, but the the name is off-putting and discourages me from finding out what all the rage is about.

Edited by ambermonk