IGNORED

The Orb - History of the Future

dr lopez

It seems almost incomprehensible that it’s now 25 years since Alex Paterson took his first giant steps under the banner of The Orb. Caught in the escalating rush of acid house and armed with dream-realising new technology, Alex, and whoever else was on his flight path at the time, started pumping their inherent sense of mischief into panoramic soundscapes with heavyweight beats, taking the live electronic experience to new levels.

*apparent tracklist*

Disc 1: The Singles Collection

01. A A Huge Ever Growing Pulsating Brain That Rules From The Centre of the Ultraworld: Loving You (Orbital Dance Mix)

02. Little Fluffy Clouds (Single Version)

03. Perpetual Dawn (Solar Youth Mix)

04. Blue Room (Seven-Inch Version)

05. Assassin (Seven-Inch Version)

06. Oxbow Lakes (Album Version)

07. Asylum (Album Version)

08. Toxygene (Album Version)

09. Once More (Album Version)

10. Ghost Dancing (Album Version)

Disc 2: Remixes and Rarities

01. A Huge Ever Growing Pulsating Brain That Rules From The Centre of the Ultraworld: Loving You (Aubrey Mix Mk II)

02. Little Fluffy Clouds (Coldcut Heavyweight Dub Mix)

03. Perpetual Dawn (Andrew Weatherall Ultrabass 1 Mix)

04. Blue Room (Excerpt 605)

05. Majestic (Heavy Mix - The Orb and Youth)

06. Close Encounters (Smile, You’re On Camera mix - The Orb and Slam)

07. Assassin (Another Live Mix)

08. Toxygene (Ganja Kru Mix)

09. Once More (Mark Pritchard Mix)

Disc 3: Live In Copenhagen & Woodstock

01. Towers of Dub (Live @ Trekkoner Sunset Gig)

02. Little Fluffy Clouds (Live @ Trekkoner Sunset Gig)

03. Blue Room (Live @ Trekkoner Sunset Gig)

04. Star 6 & 7 8 9 (Live @ Trekkoner Sunset Gig)

05. Valley (Live @ Trekkoner Sunset Gig)

06. Assassin (Live @ Woodstock 2)

Disc 4: DVD

01. Fluffy Little Clouds

02. Perpetual Dawn

03. Assassin

04. Oxbow Lakes

05. Pomme Fritz

06. Toxygene

07. DJ Asylum

08. Once More

09. Blue Room (Top Of The Pops '92)

10. Toxygene (Top Of The Pops '97)

11. Little Fluffy Clouds (T In The Park)

12. Perpetual Dawn (Ten-Inch TV Advert)

Well sounds like just a nice collection of singles and longer cuts of the best 10 years of their career... not the entire 25 lol. Cash grab?

Be interesting to see how many of these I already have... I would hazard most of them... via that two disc set that came out some years ago, the double disc remasters, and of course thatch's massive collection of live shows he so generously gave out years back. Have to go through my orb stuff later.

And no mention of any sort of remastering for this set either? Hmm.... maybe one of these sets not *quite* good enough for the true orbsessed. Only time will tell, but damn. 2013.

Edited by Redruth

Yeah it's a bit strange they haven't put on anything post the Cydonia album (Okey Dokie I thought was an absolute stormer). I might give it a miss as I pretty much have everything on there aside from the videos.

Thanks for the track listing, I tried to make it out from the meandering prose of the press release but gave up!

The selection stops probably at Cydonia because this is on Island Records. Cydonia was their last album on that label.

Seems nice but I already have most of this stuff.

Edit: Also I'm betting that Paterson has nothing to do with this. He was pretty pissed at Island at some point.

Edited by mokz

Edit: Also I'm betting that Paterson has nothing to do with this. He was pretty pissed at Island at some point.

Kicking off in Brighton on October 10, The Orb will also embark on a 19-date UK tour to accompany the release; news which is sure to please longstanding fans.

I'll take your bet!

Why aren't we allowed to have a remastered Blue Room in it's full 39'38" version? Someone please make that happen. :cry:

No-one wants the damn radio edit again.

Edited by Jamesqdot

Kicking off in Brighton on October 10, The Orb will also embark on a 19-date UK tour to accompany the release; news which is sure to please longstanding fans.

I'll take your bet!

Lol. Well, they seem to have patched up things then.

The naming of the last compilation on Island as U.F.Off and the cover art was a little bit of Fuck You to Island, if I remember correctly.

U.F.Off_-_The_Best_of_The_Orb_%28The_Orb

i picked up a mint copy of assassin in a charity shop a couple of weeks back for a measly pound. Sounding great!

Agreed that something a bit more special could have been assembled for the 20th anniversary, although i will probably purchase this as my Orb collection is missing quite a few bits

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Anyone with some details on this potential gem???

The Orb’s Further Adventures Beyond Dark Matter

Limited edition 4 disc

ttp://abbeyroadlive.sandbag.uk.com/Store/DisplayArtist.html?CatID=5640ttp://abbeyroadlive.sandbag.uk.com/Store/DisplayArtist.html?CatID=5640

Either he properly got fucked over and this was a long time coming, or he's bat shit insane. Either way I'm not sure that was quite the right way of airing dirty laundry ...

Either he properly got fucked over and this was a long time coming, or he's bat shit insane. Either way I'm not sure that was quite the right way of airing dirty laundry ...

Yup

Well, of life was turned over by these happenings, I have a very good portion of understanding for this guy. I must say I don't like The Orb, better go for some KLF.

My guess is is 2/3 fucked over, 1/3 insane. Also

to finish up lets focus on a track called hidden from FFWD. hear that ‘lets go’ at the beginning ? thats alex getting ready for a take. you probably think its something like a musicial instrument or a sample im talking about. nope. a hot water bottle. yes that was what i let him do on that track, play a hot water bottle. it kind of underlined the farcical nature of him being there at all, and it caused much sniggering in the control room because it basically sounded and looked like he was wanking off in the live room, which essentially he was. wanking off and looking for some kind of affirmation that he was useful for anything. blah blah bitter musician, musicians arent allowed to be angry about stuff – they are bitter if they dare to complain, fuck everyone who says that up the fucking ass. have a nice day.

lush

He seems like a deeply troubled individual. I hope he will find some peace of mind soon.

Either way, I love the early Orb albums, and don't give a rat's ass about who played what on them.