IGNORED

Actress - LXXXVIII (New album)

thumbass

On 11/3/2023 at 2:27 PM, gnarlybog said:

Is Azd Rain a remix of "Caves of Paradise"?

100%, clocked that right away too

Really enjoying this right from the jump, one of his best in a while

On 11/3/2023 at 6:12 AM, Key said:

He's delivered the goods yet again. Quite a low key release tho for him, apart from the chess concept it doesnt seem to have as much of a strong individual sonic identity: the pianos left over from Karma and Desire, the big room techno from AZD, the slick dark basslines from his earlier work. Just good tunes no nonsense. The standout track for me is Its Me (g8), those Michael Jackson esque vocal chops are stunning.

Finally got chance to listen fully and so good! Agree with this though just feels like Actress being unashamedly Actress & doing his thing...& I'm here for it, top album

Need to listen to the NTS thing again as well, its kinda like we got 2 albums for the price of 1! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kirm said:

The tracklist on the NTS site it's all unreleased Actress stuff

https://www.nts.live/shows/actress/episodes/actress-13th-october-2023

Seems like there's another show this Friday: https://www.nts.live/shows/actress/episodes/actress-10th-november-2023

Wonder if it's more unreleased material...

image.thumb.png.5a2d3d2178aa4056effeb4ce8a91f165.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm torn on whether or not I like this more than K&D after sitting with it for a while. I love Karma because it has a very mysterious night time / rainy aura surrounding the music. The marketing of that album established a very cool world actress built around it. This album is great and it sounds more like a callback to the old Actress, but it doesn't evoke as many feelings when it comes to an overall theme or mood.

Still happy because any Actress is good Actress and itll defo end up on my AOTY contenders list

Edited by thumbass

Enjoyed this at first but it's also growing on me loads each listen, might well end up being my favourite Actress album at this rate. (Current top for me either RIP or Karma)

Also been listening to the NTS sesh a lot as well..anyone know if its available to download anywhere? 

Someone above mentioned new NTS 1 today but think it's just going to be repeat of the previous one (hope I'm wrong though!) 

1 hour ago, kirm said:

Also been listening to the NTS sesh a lot as well..anyone know if its available to download anywhere? 

Not seen it posted anywhere, but you'll be able to grab the mp3 if you check the network tab in dev tools on Safari etc.

1 hour ago, kirm said:

Someone above mentioned new NTS 1 today but think it's just going to be repeat of the previous one (hope I'm wrong though!) 

Fingers crossed it's not a repeat, but it probably is. Actress is developing a nice habit of releasing complementary/supporting material with new albums. I loved both 88 and Unseen_Werk No.1 that bookended Karma and Desire. 

Edited by Scaramouche
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, auxien said:

on now on 1 https://www.nts.live, i don't think it's a repeat of anything? not as familiar with all his stuff as y'all tho so i could be wrong

I'm working so can't properly listen, but inclined to agree, I've just done a quick scan and seems like new stuff. 

Edit: Awaiting confirmation before releasing an official "FUCK YEAH!" statement. 

Edit: Fuck Yeah!

Edited by Scaramouche
  • Haha 1

Yeah listening & sounds like all new shit again! Couple of bits sounded familiar so far but think they may have been reworked bits of previously released tracks 

Anyhow all sounding awesome again so far!

Have to say that my initial interest in this faded pretty quick. Game Over and the track that sounds (to me) like Chink 101 are fine. If stoned this probs work better.  Actress I've always found a bit dull to be honest and can't hear the magic that others hear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kirm said:

Yeah listening & sounds like all new shit again! Couple of bits sounded familiar so far but think they may have been reworked bits of previously released tracks 

Anyhow all sounding awesome again so far!

i believe that’s right on all counts…a couple bits sounded vaguely familiar but i wasn’t deep listening for much of it, missed the first few mins too. mostly pretty dark and skewed vibes, some choice bits in there for sure. i think i liked that first NTS mix from a couple weeks ago more on first impressions but this was still pretty good.