IGNORED

Actress - LXXXVIII (New album)

thumbass

^ +1

Welcome to LXXXVIII – the ninth Actress album to be created by Darren Cunningham and the very first presentation of Actress’ voyage into luxury sonics.

A lifetime in the making, LXXXVIII is the culmination of 25 years’ honing mind-shorting, soul-igniting audio infusions for dance floors, rave dens, festivals, and concert hall, and the inaugural vessel for Actress’ cruise into novel strata of artistic influence: the executive suites, yacht decks and private jets of our planet’s ultimate power players.

The fuck is he on about

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Oh my, apart from 'luxury sonics' - when is the Tim Hecker collab coming, lol - this is the best material from Actress in ages. Totally lost interest around Karma & Desire - dude, you're not Andy Stott hihi.

• 2 weeks later...

He's delivered the goods yet again. Quite a low key release tho for him, apart from the chess concept it doesnt seem to have as much of a strong individual sonic identity: the pianos left over from Karma and Desire, the big room techno from AZD, the slick dark basslines from his earlier work. Just good tunes no nonsense. The standout track for me is Its Me (g8), those Michael Jackson esque vocal chops are stunning.

• Like 2

First impressions after a few listens:

I like it more than Karma & Desire. The vocals seem to work better here, imo. The meandering pianos still feel a bit too aimless at times, though. I'm not sure what it was about the NTS session that clicked with me, but I had that shit on loop. I don't expect the same to happen here, but let's see.

Standouts: M2, Green Blue Amnesia Magic Haze
Skipper: Typewriter world

Is Azd Rain a remix of "Caves of Paradise"?

Also, does anyone understand the connection to chess? 

Great record, current favourites are Hit Dat Spdiff and M2. I'm also considering getting that 3xLP with that 88 album, quite expensive though.

I don't really get this luxury sonics meme, maybe someone can enlighten me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AnwarAutokino said:

I don't really get this luxury sonics meme, maybe someone can enlighten me.

I think it has something to do with training your AI twin to stare at MS-DOS chess piece icons while contemplating infinity.

Words seen juxtaposed in the promo copy here (probably bandcamp and blerp too).  Mix is the chef's kiss tho.

On 10/16/2023 at 9:57 PM, Friendly Stranger said:
  • Haha 1