IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

Guest skyking

Last batch of questions.

Do you like Terry Gillam? Favorite film of his (pls be Brazil)?

Your opinion on Leo Anibaldi's - Void? Thought it was a severely underrated album.

With all that talk of Drexciya and other Detroit related techno/electro acts, do you rate Photodementia? Esp. this tune:

Oh and fuck it, pls name my incoming

casio gw-5510-1bjf

And again bolshoe spasibo for all your answers. What a fitting end to what was a lushest year of electronic music in a looong time!

You guys have my deepest gratitude. Bye Sean! Bye Rob!

Ok I must go now so
Sean and Rob, a big big thank you for your effort and time, hope you enjoyed it as much as I did, really looking forward to see you again here,
that was top lel and hope not the last!!
keep making good musics, all the best to you and your families
Adam.

thanks, pce

Ok just one last question!!!!

maybe i should watch it with some shrooms but the "artwork" on my cd of lp5 has the ugliest design in my whole collection, it's lame black font on lame white

what makes you decide to use such minimal art with such maximum music?

the original cd packaging was meant to be an extension of the standard grey-backed jewel case design popular in the 80s, but with the front cover also being grey - cos as far as we know, that hadn't been done before

but in america it was repackaged cos nothing records didn't want to spend money on getting a special case made

ah man, that would have been cool as shit

yeah we managed it in the uk and eu, and the first run of the japanese ones

the only label that chickened out were nothing records

damn it trent...

Ok, so I'm a huge fan of the seemingly bootleg 'Rob Brown Ultra Rare Mix Tape' series, of which I have 13 different mp3s. We don't really know the true source of these mixes, and it's been said that there is no proof that they are even Rob Brown's. But I feel that the track selections have a lot of resemblances to the cuts we heard on 12 hour radio broadcast.

Legend has it (at least around here) is that these were taken from a Warp employees desk, were unmarked CD-Rs, and assumed to be created by Rob Brown...

I guess I'm just looking for the definitive answer... Are these your mixtapes I've been rocking, Rob? What's the story of their leak? If they're not you, do you know anything about them?

Sorry if this has been touched on already, still working my way through the thread....

yep, i don't know how though. i mean i have my suspicions but still no ones owned up.

if i am being greedy, i am glad it got out, that gets a lot of play at my house and my little guy gets down in the living room to a lot of that for sure.

yeah we had the fkin huge DIE caster made specially for that one record too. and he didn't even wanna import them from uk. but yeah i guess …US jobs

tront pls

Wow, it's amazing that nobody thought to ask about that 'Ultra Rare Mix Tape' before. Man, did I play that one a lot during work, so so good.

My last few questions:

- Is there any possibility old Gescom records will be repressed? Would you agree to that?

- Do you still have the itch for making radio sometimes? I listen a lot to Intergalactic.fm for example and I just imagined the idea of Autechre playing regular radio mixes or something.

- Lastly, can you put me out of my misery by thinking those marble sounds on Krib was this:

71322.jpg

That was all, really enjoyed this week. Good luck with everything in the future and thanks for everything. Hope to see you in Amsterdam soon (missed it in 2008 because I had to play in a venue a few meters away from were you played... so bummed out).

Cheers AE :)

Edited by Herr Jan

have you guys ever checked out the :zoviet*france: podcast 'A Duck in a Tree' ? It's pretty nice, one of the only drone/ambient/soundscape podcasts I know and it comes out weekly. They put a Gescom track in the newest episode

http://zovietfrance.podbean.com/

oh i didn't know about this

cheers man

Last batch of questions.

Your opinion on Leo Anibaldi's - Void? Thought it was a severely underrated album.

With all that talk of Drexciya and other Detroit related techno/electro acts, do you rate Photodementia? Esp. this tune:

casio gw-5510-1bjf

And again bolshoe spasibo for all your answers. What a fitting end to what was a lushest year of electronic music in a looong time!

ok bye too!

oh well incase u get 2 names, or incase u get 1, i name your CASIO 'GMT Atlantean'

nice tune that, ta

Edited by Rob Ae

Last batch of questions.

casio gw-5510-1bjf

yeah void's a wicked album

never heard photodementia, sounding p good tho, i like the way the hats freeze it up

This fusion reactor's aesthetics remind me of some of your music:

snakes.jpg

coincidentally, it also looks like a bigger version this unrelated dude's art: http://seanbooth.com/gallery/

oh what

shit that looks amazing

Edited by Sean Ae

Wow, it's amazing that nobody thought to ask about that 'Ultra Rare Mix Tape' before. Man, did I play that one a lot during work, so so good.

My last few questions:

- Is there any possibility old Gescom records will be repressed? Would you agree to that?

- Do you still have the itch for making radio sometimes? I listen a lot to Intergalactic.fm for example and I just imagined the idea of Autechre playing regular radio mixes or something.

- Lastly, can you put me out of my misery by thinking those marble sounds on Krib was this:

71322.jpg

That was all, really enjoyed this week. Good luck with everything in the future and thanks for everything. Hope to see you in Amsterdam soon (missed it in 2008 because I had to play in a venue a few meters away from were you played... so bummed out).

Cheers AE :)

we'll try to get andy skam onto something mbe

radio takes so much time up, but yeah it'll happen here n there if we can, we keep trying to set up something in our wider gang, skam, gescom, old skim crew, so its possible if we get organised, but yeah mbe when shits quieter

no it wasn't those big muthers. blimey

This fusion reactor's aesthetics remind me of some of your music:

snakes.jpg

coincidentally, it also looks like a bigger version this unrelated dude's art: http://seanbooth.com/gallery/

thats not bad actually that boothy

Do you have track titles for the live tracks you do?

not usually

but like, when we get handed a PRS form to fill in we make up a ton on the spot

so there are a lot of PRS listings for weird tracks that are only parts of live sets and that we subsequently forgot the names of

Do you still have such list? Can you show it to us? Sounds it would be good for a laugh.

i have oversteps list here, but not sure if you'll like them lol plus its not fair on sean cos he doesn't use words.

Even if I don't like it, my curiosity will at least be satisfied, so don't worry about that. And screw Sean, he named my guitar Squarepusher. That's not fair. And it's not even a bass. :'(

aw crying with laughter at you….. if Sean PM's me i'll do it.

Edit : kerching…. my 303 rd post on watmm. ?

small reminder ;p

Ok just one last question!!!!

maybe i should watch it with some shrooms but the "artwork" on my cd of lp5 has the ugliest design in my whole collection, it's lame black font on lame white

what makes you decide to use such minimal art with such maximum music?

the original cd packaging was meant to be an extension of the standard grey-backed jewel case design popular in the 80s, but with the front cover also being grey - cos as far as we know, that hadn't been done before

but in america it was repackaged cos nothing records didn't want to spend money on getting a special case made

but mine has black font on white paper and and there is a barcode on the back lael and i believe there is nothing on the cd either also no tracklist haha do i have the superlimited ultra special edition? i'm telling this cause i was quit shocked when i found it in the records store that it looked so bad (also shocked the album was so good :biggrin:)

all the best you guys!!!

i dunno - maybe you have the usa release but without the sticker or something

tbh i can't rem exactly how it looked, i think i might not even have a copy

Sean, you said earlier in the thread that you sold your Marin bike. I hope you eventually get round to getting another set of wheels and get back in the saddle. What do you think your going to get? Incidently, theres some famous mountain bike trails i was at a couple of years ago, near the scotland/england border, it's called http://7stanesmountainbiking.com/Ae'>Ae Forest

Guest KunoMerit

your studio workspace:

a.) neatly wired, racked, organized

b.) whatever gear is currently in use wired up, stacked up, half is on the floor

c.) a laptop computer

Does knowing the size and shape of the venue where you perform influence the choice of sounds you will play?

Describe in words what it will sound like if you were allowed to give a concert in the Large Hadron Collider

l11_00000001.jpg

(probably shit acoustics, but hey it's the thought that counts right?)

your studio workspace:

b.) whatever gear is currently in use wired up, stacked up, half is on the floor

c.) a laptop computer

yeah pretty much ;)

Does knowing the size and shape of the venue where you perform influence the choice of sounds you will play?

Describe in words what it will sound like if you were allowed to give a concert in the Large Hadron Collider

l11_00000001.jpg

(probably shit acoustics, but hey it's the thought that counts right?)

fuckin flashy

your studio workspace:

c.) a laptop computer

right now it's a) but it prob won't last and will eventual become b)

i sometimes wish it was c) - and when i'm away from home i pretend that it is

Guest ZombieLincoln666
oh what

shit that looks amazing

It's called the Large Helical Device in Japan. It spins 100 million degree hydrogen plasma around. Here is a video:

Guest KunoMerit

have you ever figured out exactly how inverse envelopes work? or the non-adsr envs on juno 1/2 etc?

for whatever reason i never take the time to look this up. i think i would be a better person if i did. for years i've just moved the sliders and hoped it did what i wanted.

Hey Autechre, I posted a pretty long one earlier, wouldn’t blame you if you skipped the whole thing so I’ll make it more succinct (feel a bit cheeky doing this as a new member) :

Would you guys consider coming back to Belfast and/or Dublin? (I know it’s not Russia or the southern states but the closer the better!). I saw you here (Belfast) back on the Untilted tour, can’t remember much of it tho but saw you again in London for the Oversteps tour, won’t be forgetting that one, was incredible.

Missed you down in Dublin last time and was going to ask how the sound was cos I had been to a show at the same venue a couple of months previous and it was really bad but I’ve just watched a youtube audience recording of it, and from what I can tell, it sounds pretty good, also I can hear tuinorizn towards the end of that set. Was that track something you had developed from the live set for the album or had you been working on it after the ‘main’ tour had finished?

Favourite Kool Keith-related record?

It's also great to see that my fav musicians are showing no signs of slowing down :) Cheers for the music