IGNORED

Bleep top 10 records

chenGOD

This is a pretty crazy theory but maybe the people who made that list like those albums. Might have to look further into this.

there is no disputing that marketing PR heavily influence and determines peoples 'genuine' likes. Unless you're trying to say that these albums somehow ranked top 10 with a completely organic process based solely on how much people like it rather than what was pushed on them and what the consensus thinks

The thing about Exai not being on the Bleep list is really quite odd. Surely being a Warp fuelled site they should have given 'priority' to Warp releases that year as it's in their interest to advertise their stock.

Or is it that Bleep is no longer Warp - Was the change from Warpmart to Bleep more than just a naming thing ?

no its still warp. Seems really crazy not to put it on there, Autechre's first 2xcd album? wtf were they thinking.

lol I was like lol

I got to that point once I saw the National listed.

The world of bullshit payola, PR, and all that is something I know drives lists like these. I feel sorry for all of those in the industry who go along with it but mean well. I don't have any ill will against most musicians and artists, and I try not to think about, but it's quite maddening how a few greedy in charge still taint everything.

Here's a bigger list - https://bleep.com/The-Best-Of-2013

When L.I.E.S. (?) is #1 of the 'label of 2013' and Warp is #2, on a Warp based site ....

Didn't they cut the ties between Bleep and Warp? I had that idea anyway... Anyway, L.I.E.S. is one of the most hyped and commercially succesful labels these days, plus they've accomplished a lot in a short time so I think that one is somewhat fair and deserved imo. I really miss a mention of Rephlex' comeback, but that's more or less Rephlexs own fault, not crediting their releases to the label.

But wtf does artist of the year mean? Autechre is #12 with Exai on the best album of the year list, but #2 on the artist of the year list? Because of what? Because they are cool guys?

And no mention of the Drexciya reissues on Clone in the top-list? Those have been the hightlight of 2013 (III at the start and IV just this week) in terms of reissues I would say...

if you can, would you please elaborate?

lol

Well, I'll say this. I've seen a lot of end of year lists, some far worst and far more bullshit-ridden than this one. But like, they make sense in their terribleness and bullshit. This is just...I dunno. I can't decipher it at all. It's like list on which my Jedi powers have no effect.

if you can, would you please elaborate?

lol

Well, I'll say this. I've seen a lot of end of year lists, some far worst and far more bullshit-ridden than this one. But like, they make sense in their terribleness and bullshit. This is just...I dunno. I can't decipher it at all. It's like list on which my Jedi powers have no effect.

I feel the same way

Guest Roksen Creek

But wtf does artist of the year mean? Autechre is #12 with Exai on the best album of the year list, but #2 on the artist of the year list? Because of what? Because they are cool guys?

Because of the AAA thread.

Also, they are on a multiplier, like in a shmup. Their run of quality releases increases their multiplier everytime, so they've amassed a big haul of points, even if the alien spaceship of Exai isn't enough on its own to get best album (according to bleep).

Yeah these lists make no sense to me either.

ALL Album of the Year Lists without KA's "The Nights Gambit" are ridiculous. Can't take them serious.

That album was pretty sick, but wouldn't quite make my top 10... Run The Jewels on the other hand, cant wait for the 2nd album next year.

Also, nice to see Blackest Ever Black getting some love in the label list... I'd probably rank them in my top 3 labels for this year (if not the top), I also feel Modern Love deserves a shout out too. All of Demdike Stare's testpressings and Miles Whitaker's solo works and Leyland Kirby's recent release as The Stranger are all fucking awesome.

A lot of these lists I treat as more of a "most popular records that fit with the mildly niche music community we cater to" kind of list, rather than a hands-down best albums released this year. I mean, for all we know some 12 year old kid in his mom's basement is making the best music ever with his great grandfather's old cigar-box guitar. "Top 10 best albums of the year" lists are always going to be bullshit. Don't be disappointed when you disagree with what you see.

lol I was like lol

I must be turning into a hipster in my midlife crisis - I liked the National's effort this year quite a bit. Also Vampire Weekend's release....

lol I was like lol

I must be turning into a hipster in my midlife crisis - I liked the National's effort this year quite a bit. Also Vampire Weekend's release....

I just find it random, especially for Bleep. I must of been pissy when I posted earlier, I'm kinda in shoulder shrug mode now. Not a huge National fan but they're good. I really like Vampire Weekend (Contra is one of the best albums of the decade). Neither of those albums are their best (arguably) so maybe it's overdue acclaim.

Don't worry man, I embarrassingly enjoy Arcade Fire a lot, the music anyway. Sometimes it's not so much guilty pleasure as it is "I like it but I'm too apathetic to apologize for [insert successful 'indie' band here]"

Archived