IGNORED

The Caustic Window LP (CAT023) Kickstarter FAQ - LIVE NOW!

Joyrex

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's pretty crazy looking at some of the spots on the internet where the 'audiophiles' who buy things like those cables coagulate and seeing the kind of things they say and are into. the type of language etc gets very similar to some of the blatantly phoney alternative medicines, or psychic gurus, or any other sham. which makes it totally fitting that amazing randi has been calling this part of the industry out by offering a cool mill to anyone who can prove that this or that audio cable sounds any better than another. and of course the people who have motioned towards getting that mill end up flaking out just like most of the 'psychics'.

Interesting. They're like the shamans of egineered electricity. Some are electricity atheists, electricity sceptics, others believe that electricity is alive and spiritually inclined and even conscious of what you're doing with it. Many of the electronic music artists I've been in touch with have their own favorite cables and hardware and most of the time, for unverifiable reasons. The relationship between artist and electricity currents and hardware and software is quite hard to define, I think. Does it mean it's all bullshit? I'm not sure.

i believe if something is real it can be tested. it's that simple. er, well, it's not that simple. sometimes a method for testing doesn't exist yet, or may never exist. in this case i see there being nothing more difficult about testing some of these claims than any other type of experiment that happens in a lab every day.

the manufacturers of these cables and other even more ridiculous audiophile artifacts actually claim that their products are the product of their own scientific research. which involves what? some degree of scientific testing. then those same people turn around and balk at the idea of those cables, allegedly the product of science, being tested scientifically. i'm sorry but i think not being strongly suspicious of this qualifies one as a rube. 100%

btw i'm specifically talking about cables and certain other things which are having ridiculous claims about improving audio with words like 'euphoric' and one hilariously absurd example in this randi incident- 'danceable' being thrown at them. i'm not saying there are no benefits from any type of hardware. a cable isn't going to make a difference between good like everyone is used to and 'euphoric'

Edited by MisterE

i vote give the charity money to our favourite do-gooder Grant at rephlex. I imagine hes always nearly broke while seeing his friend make shitloads of money. there is no shortage of money out there for charities.

Haha I agree with you, no worries. When they're calling the effect of a cable euphoric or danceable, we are right in the realm of imagination. It's immeasurable anyway, so how could they turn it into a scientific argument? You're right.

i vote give the charity money to our favourite do-gooder Grant at rephlex. I imagine hes always nearly broke while seeing his friend make shitloads of money. there is no shortage of money out there for charities.

Yesterday, in the shower, I came up with this logical argument:

1. What did we pay for, when we accepted to give 16$? Answer: For a Caustic Window album.

2. Who made this Caustic Window album that we are paying for? Answer: Richard D. James.

3. Who is the legal owner (copyright) of the music? Answer: Richard D. James.

4. Who is organizing the digitalization and distribution of it? Answer: Rephlex/Richard D. James.

5. Who should get the money that was raised in the name of this album? Obvious answer: Richard D. James.

We paid for an album but none of the money we paid will go to the artist who made the album? Such a weird logic, coming from the underground. Imagine that you made an album 15 years ago and it suddenly comes out of the blue and some charities are making thousands of dollars out of your product. Personally, I would feel a bit strange about it.

The selected charity will be getting a donation of a proportion of the proceeds from the sale of the record through the auction. As far as i am aware this is the only source from which the charity will be receiving funds from this endeavour.

I believe the money for the charity is coming from the sale of the vinyl not the money from the kickstarter.

Everyone's a winner.

Edited by Ifeelspace

Ok thanks for the clarification. But still, what did this charity do to deserve money that was raised on behalf of Richard's music? The only reason for this pile of cash is Richard's music. I'm sure you see my point. And by the way, I have nothing against charities. Just wondering out loud.

The charities are striving to make the world better and fairer. That was until MassfreeKid appeared on the scene with his new world idealisms straight outta North Korea.

Ok thanks for the clarification. But still, what did this charity do to deserve money that was raised on behalf of Richard's music? The only reason for this pile of cash is Richard's music. I'm sure you see my point. And by the way, I have nothing against charities. Just wondering out loud.

Mentioning charity, even though it came from a pure place on the part of the suggester and the implementer, probably enabled this exercise to realise far more income than it would have otherwise. The word charity has a pretty powerful impact on the psyche of many. I can't say how much more many we raised for the kickstarter due to the charity word being involved but surely it would be more than the charity itself will be getting once all is said and done. So this is good for the rights holders yes, they profit for teh win or whatever mid '00's cliché i'm using today.

It's important to note, for those that now start pointing out that instead a proportion of the kickstarter funds should be what is given to charity, instead of the meagre pickings that probably will be had from the auction of the vinyl, that kickstarter rules don't allow any of the money made directly through it's service to go to charity.

So a little tithe in the hope of good works for the world is being given, rephlex gets a nice chunk (well i hope that they think it's nice, to most people it would seem a lot), and we gets our music, yay. Of course rephlex will then have to pay tax in that money that they earn which will also go to good works. But i'm not going to go on another long rant, the other thread is already closed and the matter is decided.

The charities are striving to make the world better and fairer. That was until MassfreeKid appeared on the scene with his new world idealisms straight outta North Korea.

LOL. What is the logical link between struggling to make the world a better place and experimental, electronic musical art made by a total loner? It is not a function of the artist to have to make the world better and fairer. And as far as I know, Aphex has never expressed the desire to do so, which strenghthens my point.

Sorry man, I will step out of this argument, but artists for me are sacred and they deserve every bit of money that is raised in their name. That's my only point. Sorry if I disturbed or disappointed you. I'm not that bad of a person. :) Just asking the unpleasant but logical questions here. I respect you all and charities are great. But sadly, Aphex is not a charity.