IGNORED

Tomorrows Harvest - Today

phudoshin

holy crap dude how much more arrogant are you going to be on this? are you completely unaware that your analogy is invalid because it is simply your opinion?

there's really no other way to put it. I'm not trying to find a cheap exit for an argument, it simply is amazing how unable you are to identify what is an opinion and what is an objective truth. and don't try to wriggle out of this by saying 'but other people are saying it is good as if that's the truth so I have to fight back' a) two wrongs, be above that behavior. b) positive criticism for something that was received by most people as positive is more warrented than people whinging about how other people's taste is bad and boc owe them a better album. what looks worse?

I think Candiru is just trying to be humourous, and I think he's succeeding :p

I still love this album though.

I really don't want to stir the pot any much more but I do remember some watmmer's being on a very high horse about this album before they'd even heard it. I was getting negative vibes from some people even before it dropped. Or was that my imagination......

I really don't want to stir the pot any much more but I do remember some watmmer's being on a very high horse about this album before they'd even heard it. I was getting negative vibes from some people even before it dropped. Or was that my imagination......

Nope you're right. People were slagging the ad campaign with all the cryptic stuff.

Online polls for opinions about how much the people liked an album are essentially useless. Duh.

Still not getting this really. What is in fact a proper way to gauge people's feelings about the album then?

Do take in mind the polls I created are advertised on bocpages.org too, so it's not like only people from twoism or watmm are voting. The idea was to capture what boc fans think of the new album. I am not trying to troll over here but really interested in knowing why a poll isn't reliable according to you guys.

At the risk of dragging this out farther than is necessary, it's a bit silly is all. But again, my post was mostly in jest. Online polls are just silly fun, I get that. Nothing wrong with it. They only really serve to spark conversation on forums, social media outlets, etc. They're skewed and untrustworthy and often ridiculous and that's the point. I don't get why making a joke about something that's mostly a joke is worth debating. Move on people.

How about this, I say Semena Mertvyhk is about ejaculate upon the ruins of a decimated nuclear blast site, and the track sucks: discuss.

Online polls for opinions about how much the people liked an album are essentially useless. Duh.

Still not getting this really. What is in fact a proper way to gauge people's feelings about the album then?

Do take in mind the polls I created are advertised on bocpages.org too, so it's not like only people from twoism or watmm are voting. The idea was to capture what boc fans think of the new album. I am not trying to troll over here but really interested in knowing why a poll isn't reliable according to you guys.

At the risk of dragging this out farther than is necessary, it's a bit silly is all. But again, my post was mostly in jest. Online polls are just silly fun, I get that. Nothing wrong with it. They only really serve to spark conversation on forums, social media outlets, etc. They're skewed and untrustworthy and often ridiculous and that's the point. I don't get why making a joke about something that's mostly a joke is worth debating. Move on people.

How about this, I say Semena Mertvyhk is about ejaculate upon the ruins of a decimated nuclear blast site, and the track sucks: discuss.

The track IS about that, but it certainly doesn't "suck". It's the best track on that album.

The real question is - would you have rather BOC waited longer to release something, assuming it would have been better than Tomorrow's Harvest? (assuming of course you didn't like Tomorrow's Harvest)

The real question is - would you have rather BOC waited longer to release something, assuming it would have been better than Tomorrow's Harvest? (assuming of course you didn't like Tomorrow's Harvest)

Depends on how much better I guess.

If we are talking something that would blow geogaddi/mhtrtc out of the water and then some, I could have waited maybe an extra year or two more

But that's easy to say now, as that extra 1-2 years may have made it that much harder feel like the wait was worth it

I would've rather had a better album. The album sounded very rushed, although they've claimed otherwise as I recall.

I can certainly understand some of the criticism that has been levelled at this record, though personally I think it was a solid and interesting album. It wasn't my favourite album of the year (Exai), but I nonetheless think, as a whole, it's a sonically pleasing and emotionally engaging listen - which is all I'd ask for from any record.

I do think there were some over the top reactions (both complimentary and critical) when TH first came out. There were people hailing it (particularly on message boards) as their best after hearing it only a couple of times - fair enough, but I find it hard to understand how any record can be deemed an artist's best (especially when we are talking four albums in) so soon. With listening to their other stuff over a period of years, and those tunes becoming so familiar, I really think TH needs a long time to be soaked up before I can really judge it - but, well that's just me, and of course I can see how it's possible that some people may have just immediately fallen in love with it.

I'd also question why we have the urge to rank these things - I'd rather see each album as a different facet of an artist / band that offers something unique. That way I can enjoy each release for what it is, see it as a piece of wider vision, and not get too bogged down with how its better or worse than what came before (But yeah, if you truly think it's shite, there's also not much you can do about it). For what it's worth, I find TH to be much more of music that needs devoted listens, ie. lights off headphones on, as opposed to music to wander about through town to or do work to, whereas I don't think that is necessarily true of their previous works.

Anyway, all this debate has made me want to give it a proper listen

Edited by chaofan

Music is just so subjective - I guess until the next BOC release comes out, Tomorrow's Harvest will have to stand the test of time to see if it is indeed a classic, and where it ultimately ends up in BOC's catalogue in terms of how it ranks.

Yes. 1 or 2 years wouldn't make that big of a difference considering we'd been waiting for 8 years

When Come to dust starts, it's like my whole life and that of the universe stand before my eyes... After Tomorrow's Harvest, I think the next logical step for Boards, conceptually speaking, would be to make a science-fiction, futuristic, intergalactic album. They left the earth behind with this album. Now it's time to travel beyond.

Nope you're right. People were slagging the ad campaign with all the cryptic stuff.

yeah, I did that. but it was no comment on the then-forthcoming album itself. I actually like it a lot, I just don't care for the mystery cockteasing anymore. I just look at Ae and their regular-as-clockwork releases and no-nonsense personas and wonder why the rest of the old IDM vanguard can't be the same.

When Come to dust starts, it's like my whole life and that of the universe stand before my eyes... After Tomorrow's Harvest, I think the next logical step for Boards, conceptually speaking, would be to make a science-fiction, futuristic, intergalactic album. They left the earth behind with this album. Now it's time to travel beyond.

that would be a cool concept - some kind of sci-fi aesthetic, without the apocalyptic theme.

though I wouldn't be surprised if they go with a totally different kind of concept on their next release.

that would be a cool concept - some kind of sci-fi aesthetic, without the apocalyptic theme.

So pretty much Ceephax' Cro Magnox album :lol:

My favourite BoC album. More mature and balanced. Darkness and light united.

Yeah, one the of the things I really love about it is the contrasts. The optimism and hopelessness on TH combined just makes for a unique listening experience.

BOC has always been amazing at combining contrasts, Geogaddi mixed nostalgia and warmth with cultism and the disburbing, that kind of musical concept just creates an amazing atmosphere to me. It's what makes them stand out.

Edited by Ceerial

If only TH was more layered...the songs feel empty compared to their previous work

I see what you mean, but I think the name of the game is minimalism. I'm glad they went with that approach for this one. On the face of it, the music is so simple that it eliminates most IDM listeners with a short attention span who are looking for millions of hidden layers per second and fucked up complexity and so on. This album is back to the basics: E-MOTIONS.

If only TH was more layered...the songs feel empty compared to their previous work

I don't agree with this, a track like Reach For The Dead is just an explosion of layers and depth towards the end, the same could be said for Jacquard Causeway and New Seeds.

Sure there are some tracks that are very minimal: Collapse, Telepath and Uritual etc. But BOC has always had those short and simple interlude type tracks between the more fleshed out songs. It's nothing new.

There is probably a argument to be made, that some of the tracks are slightly minimal. But that is not necessarily a complaint for me personally, on some tracks I actually think it is its strength, a minimalist approach doesn't have to be a bad thing if you ask me.

But all that being said, I don't agree that TH lacks layers.

Edited by Ceerial