IGNORED

Aphex Twin Surprise gig in Helford

Icct

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Cornwall-s-Radiohead-Aphex-Twin-stars-make/story-22060691-detail/story.html

6576951-large.jpg

Two of Cornwall’s resident musical giants popped up to perform surprise DJ sets at festivals in the county last night.

While Thom Yorke, frontman for indie guitar legends Radiohead, was stepping out to wow crowds at Bude’s Leopallooza, electronic music pioneer Richard James, aka Aphex Twin, was spinning the decks at Holifair in the Helford.

Neither appearance was publicised and both created a buzz in crowds attending the two festivals in changeable weather conditions.

James, now 42, was raised in Lanner and studied at Cornwall College before going on to become a ground breaking musician – at one point naming every song on an album in Cornish.

Although never a household name, he was described by The Guardian as "the most inventive and influential figure in contemporary electronic music."

He played at Holifair last night, a family friendly fundraising festival for the Holifield Farm Project in Gweek.

In its seventh year, the festival, this year headlined by Auction For The Promise Club and Backbeat Sound System, raises money for the day care centre for special needs at Holifield.

Yorke, who wrote and sang the now legendary Creep, among a wealth of other successful singles, was also a surprise performer when he took to the DJ decks at Leopallooza.

The Bude based festival, in its ninth year, is a more traditional concept – a party in a field – and was this year headlined by Fenech-Soler, Dry The River, Foxes and Falmouth band Brother & Bones.

The news of their impromptu appearances was broken by Cornishman, West Briton and Cornish Guardian What’s On editor Lee Trewhela on Twitter.

The thing that sucks about surprise gigs is that likely nobody there knew his music well enough to make out unreleased material.

i wonder if afx and thom bumped into one another and chatted some shit?

Thom: Rich would you fancy making a remix for my 'Atoms For Peace' album?

RDJ: Would you make pig noises with your private parts?

FLOL

Considering he did a full on noise show when opening for a family friendly Bjork show, anything could go, although it seems he doesn't really do stunts like that anymore. I do like that he still seeks adventure by playing exclusive, special (the remote orchestra stuff) and secret gigs, who knows what's next?

I'd really like him to do ambient sets like he did in the early 90's though (apparently he did one in Amsterdam in 1994 with repeating sounds of wood being chopped or something).

Archived