IGNORED

Thom Yorke - Tomorrow's Modern Boxes

lawrenke

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mrgypsum

i really like this as well, its a great follow up to eraser, yet he spoke about it being an EP and i feel like it could have just been a strong EP. just a little bit of filler but i enjoy it, even more so than king of limbs. it sounds much more personal than eraser.

It's a good album, I'm an enormous fan and it's made my list, but all of that packaging and exclusivity has raised the cost to a rather unacceptable level. If he'd just work with a label and tone down the presentation, we'd be spending $20.

Not that I feel he should've necessarily done either of those things, but that's what's up.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else a fan of Thom's piano pieces. Thinking in particular of Like Spinning Plates' live incarnation

I love that one most, it's on that live album... Love it more than the album version. His stuff just works in every genre :-)

Also, I was impressed by this "Default" live presentation; it has unbelieveably much energy! A pleasure for me to watch this.

As for the Boxes, it turned out "Nose grows some" does not get out of my head and seems to be my favourite one. Best part is "two birds on the wall"...

Guest bitroast

vinyl is not beautiful... but great songs! ;-)

vinyl is by no means ugly? I enjoy the design and packaging. sounds great too.

speaking of the vinyl though, the locked groove on last track is a bit weird I think. I mean, complaining about it is weird too I guess, but I feel its one of those instances where the locked groove adds nothing to the track..

for those wondering, the locked groove is on the end of the last track and loops the drum loop that plays for a bit at the end, so you're sort of forced to just end it abruptly randomly or fade it out or something? for such a chill album it kind of removes the pacing or punch from the end of album? I dunno. I don't really get why it's there but it's not terrible or anything ..

I bought this shit but haven't received my vinyls. anyone else experience this?

Yeah I am in the same situation. I ordered the vinyl on September 27th. Was a bit worried that I hadn't received it yet, and the tracking status on their website was still "paid". So I wrote them an email today and they answered that my order was part of the second vinyl batch, which will be pressed in November. I guess we'll have to wait a few more weeks...

I love AMOK, the eraser and pretty much all Radiohead and Thom Yorks songs but this modern boxes sounds so boring, cold and repetitive that Im having a hard time to reach the second listening...

:braindance:

I bought this shit but haven't received my vinyls. anyone else experience this?

Yeah I am in the same situation. I ordered the vinyl on September 27th. Was a bit worried that I hadn't received it yet, and the tracking status on their website was still "paid". So I wrote them an email today and they answered that my order was part of the second vinyl batch, which will be pressed in November. I guess we'll have to wait a few more weeks...

ah ic thanks m8

• 3 weeks later...

I guess so, yeah.

Length 38:13

Length (vinyl edition)

Tracklisting

SIDE A

1. a brain in a bottle
  2. guess again!
  3. interference
  4. the mother lode

SIDE B

1. truth ray
  2. there is no ice (for my drink)
  3. pink section
  4. nose grows some

Side B contains a locked groove.

:spiteful:

Now that some time has passed and I've digested the release several times, I think both AMOK & The Eraser are much better.

Still great music, but the production & songwriting on the previous two albums is above & beyond what's going on here.

I must say I've not played it as much as I expected to, I played The Eraser to death on release and prefer AMOK to this. I feel the songs aren't as strong or catchy, maybe it needs more plays.

Archived