IGNORED

Thom Yorke - ANIMA

misc

has def grown on me since first listening.

still find the kid sample in Twist distracting and my stubbornness means i refuse to believe not having the sample would make the song any worse. but it’s fine, not a deal breaker. spoken word on Dawn chorus doesn’t bother me but i still think last track “this is how you know who your true friends are” is a real stinker. surely anyone can see it’s deliberately a shitty closing track and that the vinyl bonus track is going to be more on par with the rest of the album and they’re now going to rely on reddit twitter word of mouth to generate the buzz that the vinyl version is the definitive version of the album. super obvious when the album is going to be available at local music stores for $60 AUD. i see what games you’re playing, @ThomYorke

Edited by bitchroast
  • Like 1

Enjoying this on 1st couple of listens and also think it will grower, so think I could come to be very fond of this album

13 hours ago, bitchroast said:

still find the kid sample in Twist distracting and my stubbornness means i refuse to believe not having the sample would make the song any worse. 

Very much agree with this though! That sample is v grating, still its a good song so will let him off but does seem an odd choice. 

Edited by kirm

Noticed just yesterday.  And that Video on Netflix. Have not watched yet. Skipped over it and thought "Ausdruckstanz OMG".
The twist in Twist is awesome.

More reverbed whinery pls

Edited by Guest

I never really liked the demo of Twist that’s been floating around for a few years but I love the album version. I agree the kids sample should’ve been removed though. I think it’s the same sample from 15 Step. Thom’s pulling a Luke Vibert

Just realized the bonus track “Ladies and Gentlemen...” is “Two Feet Of The Ground” from recent live shows. Great tune to close out the album (but peeved it’s not on cd).

3 hours ago, DavieAddison said:

I never really liked the demo of Twist that’s been floating around for a few years but I love the album version. I agree the kids sample should’ve been removed though. I think it’s the same sample from 15 Step. Thom’s pulling a Luke Vibert

The conspiracy deepens even further when you realize that the first half melody is mostly....."Kid for Today" by BOC 

*dramatic gopher*

TFW spend 7 Years working on a song inspired by Boards of Canada and WATMM immediately refers to  it as "pulling a Luke Vibert" instead ????

Edited by bitchroast

I was referring to him reusing samples like Luke, I didn’t make the BoC connection. But it makes sense because he lifted the melody from Rhubarb on his last album. Hail to the Thief 

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this one. At first, I was pretty underwhelmed but it opened up quite a bit. I absolutely love how everything flows into one another. The jam at the end of Twist (Saturdays) is undeniably amazing. That big synth swell in News takes that song to bad ass levels. Dawn Chorus is perfect. I don't care what anyone says about it. I quite like the closer even though I am looking forward to the proper one on the vinyl. He keeps pushing and I have to commend that. This is definitely his most organic, fluid and natural-sounding album as a solo venture by far. Suspira helped a lot, me thinks, but a lot of these songs have been kicking around for a while. Though with the OK Minidiscs, it's just proven over and over how material can be around and simmering until it's right. That is a commendable thing for an artist to have the patience to sit on stuff or blow it up. 

Edited by jules
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jules said:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this one. At first, I was pretty underwhelmed but it opened up quite a bit. I absolutely love how everything flows into one another. The jam at the end of Twist (Saturdays) is undeniably amazing. That big synth swell in News takes that song to bad ass levels. Dawn Chorus is perfect. I don't care what anyone says about it. I quite like the closer even though I am looking forward to the proper one on the vinyl. He keeps pushing and I have to commend that. This is definitely his most organic, fluid and natural-sounding album as a solo venture by far. Suspira helped a lot, me thinks, but a lot of these songs have been kicking around for a while. Though with the OK Minidiscs, it's just proven over and over how material can be around and simmering until it's right. That is a commendable thing for an artist to have the patience to sit on stuff or blow it up. 

agreeing. i've made nitpick posts but overall i'm really liking this one. i also relistened to suspiria ost today and really like that one too. it's like this new album has balanced out what i found lacking in that one as an album and i'm able to enjoy it a lot more now. 

Edited by bitchroast
  • Like 1

Four listens in and I can say that this is his most consistently good solo album. Really high production values too. I’d be curious to know how much of a hand Godrich had in it.

4 hours ago, Extralife said:

I’d be curious to know how much of a hand Godrich had in it.

thom sent the barebones midi files and and nigel filled them in with the right sounds.

Edited by eugene
  • Farnsworth 1

43 minutes ago, eugene said:

thom sent the barebones midi files and and nigel filled them in with the right sounds.

one of the early demo mixes actually leaked:

Spoiler

Lovin this album to the nth degree.. Its everything you could need and hope for from old Thomas. The Axe is a tremendous track, perhaps his best work. His magnus opus if you will. 

1 hour ago, Schlitze said:

Lovin this album to the nth degree.. Its everything you could need and hope for from old Thomas. The Axe is a tremendous track, perhaps his best work. His magnus opus if you will. 

Yes. Love The Axe.

The axe is definitely the weakest track on the album for me. The chorus just seems too on the nose and annoying. It’s borderline Thom parody. 

Yeah, best solo effort  of his by far, to my ears. 

I'm surprised at the 'meh' responses this is getting. Thoroughly enjoying the album, reckon it's is best solo album yet.