IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

You're making a lot of assumptions about her parents with no facts to base that on.

i said the parents haven't taken responsibility for her lack of discipline and they have not. i also said the school would be unable to take responsibility and we'd conveniently blame the cops- two investigations have now been opened against the cop: a federal civil investigation and an internal investigation from his agency.

@nebraska so you're quoting this segment of the ABC News story?

"Connie Streater is the black mother of a fifth-grade student in the Richland 2 school system. She told the school board at a meeting Tuesday night that she thinks Senior Deputy Ben Fields was right to use force on the student but that he used too much."

Saying that she is not taking responsibility in your opinion can also be a matter of cultural background, as many African Americans believe in corporal punishment of children maybe more than American culture at large, that's no secret and it's not racist IMO.

http://inamerica.blogs.cnn.com/2011/11/10/researchers-african-americans-most-likely-to-use-physical-punishment/

Look at the flack Charles Barkley recently faced when he spoke out about beating and spanking. No one is saying whether she's a good or bad parent, there could be a ton of extenuating circumstances at home, or a teen rebelling, or a mental or behavioral issue. I just hope we're not indicting the parents, and what the cops did was over the top as well IMO.

no. the nbc quote was to show that we'd blame the cop as two investigations have been launched against the cop. personally i think this is necessary, but as the cop said, it has a lot to do with community versus law enforcement relationships.

none of the parents quoted are the parents of the girl that was dragged out of the class but they all agree excessive force was used. personally, i think the cop did what was demanded of him from the school officials (remove child from class). if the girl was rebelling that's fine. the force used was a consequence of her resistance to follow orders

Edited by Nebraska

Connie Streater wasn't her mom? Then that was confusing, yeah all parents have different backgrounds and parenting techniques, usually taught to them by their parents. My parents spanked me and my brother, no biggie.

that's fine about parents having different techniques in parenting. it's part of what makes us all unique individuals. my problem is the results of said parenting: do they work effectively in instilling discipline?

this is just the result of schools ceding their authority to parents, then deciding to have "resource officers" (cops) to do their job for them. btw: does anyone find it interesting that enough students had their phones on them to film the incident from multiple angles? maybe the answer is more cops at schools. some of them can even make sure the other cops are handling the disciple required and the parents and teachers can shake their heads every time things escalate

“I think sometimes our officers are put in uncomfortable positions when a teacher can't control a student,” said Lott, adding that his office will also look at when it is proper to call in a resource officer. “That is something for the district to answer,” Lott said. “Is it proper to call in a resources officer to discipline a student or is that the job of the school?”

Edited by Nebraska

Re: the school stuff, I have lots of friends in education and it sounds completely fucking depressing. They have to fill out this awful paperwork to get their lesson plans approved, there's a fuckton of focus on these stupid placement tests (thanks W), and arts programs are getting gutted so they can dump all their coffers into STEM. Plus parents seem to be more arrogant and doubtful of teachers' abilities than ever.

I think the average American's relationship to the police has gotten worse since around the time police departments started getting all the free military toys, but I'm totally with Nebraska on the community relationship aspect. We spend so much time staring at our phones and taking selfies to keep up with the Joneses on the instaface and we're all lodged so far up our own asses. It's no wonder everyone is on drugs. I don't know when people are going to get tired of this garbage and remember that there are other ways to live but I hope it happens soon.

The world is going to hell in a handbasket, I tell ya.

You're making a lot of assumptions about her parents with no facts to base that on.

Have you ever seen parents of a kid treated in this manner take responsibility for their children's behavior, and say "yeah my kid is a real handful" or something to that effect?

Do you work with kids at all? There's always at least one parent at my school who comes to teachers/admin at a total loss for how to control their child. I don't think it's uncommon for parents to be both concerned and clueless/ineffective.

Edited by doublename

Re: the school stuff, I have lots of friends in education and it sounds completely fucking depressing. They have to fill out this awful paperwork to get their lesson plans approved, there's a fuckton of focus on these stupid placement tests (thanks W), and arts programs are getting gutted so they can dump all their coffers into STEM. Plus parents seem to be more arrogant and doubtful of teachers' abilities than ever.

Teaching in public schools is pretty grim at the moment. Testing and blaming teachers for poor parenting are ruining things.

Have you ever seen parents of a kid treated in this manner take responsibility for their children's behavior, and say "yeah my kid is a real handful" or something to that effect?

Do you work with kids at all? There's always at least one parent at my school who comes to teachers/admin at a total loss for how to control their child. I don't think it's uncommon for parents to be both concerned and clueless/ineffective.

I don't work with kids at all. Don't laugh (ok laugh, it's laughable), but I based that statement only on all the cases over the last decade I see in the media. Canada and US, mostly.

The parents always vehemently deny that their kid could maybe just be a shitty person, and they always deny any wrongdoing.... "I raised them right", etc. Obviously what is seen in the media isn't a good snapshot of reality, I'll admit that.

Teaching in public schools is pretty grim at the moment. Testing and blaming teachers for poor parenting are ruining things.

And this.

Edited by StephenG

My local shop has started stocking a selection of American candies.

I picked up some packets of Junior Mints (the very same that Kramer inadvertently spills into the abdomen of a patient in surgery in Seinfeld) and some Charleston Chews.

Both were pretty satisfactory, so candywise my opinion of the United States of America has definitely gone up a few notches, maybe even five.

fox experts judge women in leggings: is it okay to wear leggings, and what kind of leggings are "appropriate"?

before pressing play, please take a minute or two to let that image of them starring sink in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwPTm4-x3Bs

Edited by Nebraska

My local shop has started stocking a selection of American candies.

I picked up some packets of Junior Mints (the very same that Kramer inadvertently spills into the abdomen of a patient in surgery in Seinfeld) and some Charleston Chews.

Both were pretty satisfactory, so candywise my opinion of the United States of America has definitely gone up a few notches, maybe even five.

How fortunate, I've been living this life with the thought always sitting on my mind that British candy (esp. chocolate) are failing more and more all the time.

The only one I hold my faith in is the Yorkie Raisin & Biscuit - stay the same sweet prince.

Easter eggs used to be amazing, now they're only good for filling with nitroglycerine and chucking in a good friend's oven.

fox experts judge women in leggings: is it okay to wear leggings, and what kind of leggings are "appropriate"?

before pressing play, please take a minute or two to let that image of them starring sink in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwPTm4-x3Bs

The first question " are you confortable with the women in your life wearing leggings"

what the fuck is this shit 1950's tv, asking the bread winner if his property is dressed properly to go out in public.

I mean its not as bad as saudi arabia but i think its because over here its frowned upon, if these men had the green light "their" women would be wearing burkas too.

Edited by Deer