IGNORED

X-Files 2016

Rubin Farr

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys who are anti-story arc are nuts. That was the best part of the series.

Sure there were some great standalone episodes. But the whole reason to watch was the arc.

i agree that they shouldn't be dressed up like it's 1995, but of course if they didn't do that you'd have complaining about how it was changed, so yah know. Still though i'd prefer post FBI getting away from all that bullshit on a pension got his pilots licence and generally chilling out running passengers in and out of small mountain towns that have no electromagnetic interference and are isolated enough to make him feel same mulder, who left the past in the past, and it's scully that comes to him with kooky info wanting his hlep investigating it. She's now the oddball in the agency etc. They then fly about the place investigating this or that on scully's vacation days solving mysteries. WITH NO BIG BAD, none, NO CONSPIRACY, NO MULTI_SERIES ARCS, cause really that's been there and badly whipped for long enough, lets just have some fun with the format.

Yah, that's basically similar to what I was imagining- well, at least the Scully coming to Mulder bit. Mulder with white hair, as an aged and hard man, who's seen way too much shit in his time, so he smokes weed and just chills on the sofa getting kind of fat. Then Scully starts putting together the pieces like she's tripping hard on LSD, so she goes to Mulder for help. Then yadda yadda, Mulder is like, "If we're gonna do this... we need help. I know some guys." Then badoom, The Lone Gunmen- since disbanded- get recruited one by one from different counties (who have also each gained new connections), then it's like, "Oooh, snap dawg! This series is starting! DEY GOT DA TEAM TOGETHER!!!", and then a few episodes in, despite Mulder seeming to have stopped caring about aliens and shit, he reveals his secret basement full of research/evidence and hacked up radio equipment and computers to do whatever the fuck, so it turns out he's actually more hardcore and obsessed than before and knew that Scully was close years ago; just waited for her to find him. Mulder's like, "You don't really think I could ever stop searching for the truth, did you?", then Scully knowingly and lovingly smiles, and then one of The Lone Gunmen is like, "So... Where do we start?", then Scully is like, ". . . . . ...How about here?", and from her briefcase, she throws onto the table a fat and fungus/dirt covered paper portfolio that goes *doof~*, then the camera changes to birdseye view and slow zooms in, and the typed title on the sticker on the tab on the folder can be read... "The X-Files", THEN, for the first time in the series reboot, several episodes later, we finally hear the iconic theme song as folder shot goes to black and end credits roll. Then the audience is again like, "OOOH SNAP DAWG X-FILE BACK YO, dis' gon' be gooood..."

lol, my script has been peace'a'fied, man we could run hollywood. you doing your way out but wildly popular stoner thing and me i don't know, clichés far enough obscured to hit a popular note whilst being nicely filmed and tightly scripted that it just hits the spot.

In some sort of far away dream, Hollywood is an intention of mine- TV/film seem like the funnest shit ever. Done some extra work, and vibez on the set were sweet. I want to release a U.S. indie or major film, then use the funds and popularity to release a film in Japan to fix society and the shit level of recent Japanese art.

Some film adaptations I've actually worked on (story, screenplay, storyboards, etc.):

Golden Girls

a Godzilla film

The Adventures of Pete & Pete

Miami Vice

The Japanese films I've worked on are the Godzilla one and one about revolution in the Tokyo office world.

Some other original films that I can't recall...

I've written a lot of TV stuff, as well.

Here's the intro to a film project I was working on like 6 years ago:

http://nothinggg.com/motion/ubtest0125.mov

I stopped cuz the rat and guinea pig died.

I also gotta ride the IDM wave, but I realized that it's all connected and all the same. Just gotta do... SOMETHING.

If I ever make it in film, you can be my Aussie consultant, so everyone doesn't sound like Crocodile Dundee.

Sure there were some great standalone episodes. But the whole reason to watch was the arc.

So if one were to watch all the story arc episodes which ones would they be...?

EDIT: In the meantime I learned how to Google and found this list:

Season1

Pilot

Deep Throat

Fallen Angel

E.B.E.

The Erlenmeyer Flask

Season 2

Little Green Men

Duane Barry

Ascension

One Breath (DVD only)

Red Museum

Colony

End Game

Anasazi

Season 3

The Blessing Way

Paper Clip

Nisei

Piper Maru

Apocrypha

Talitha Cumi

Season 4

Herrenvolk

Tunguska

Terma

Memento Mori

Tempus Fugit

Max

Zero Sum

Demons (book only)

Gethsemane

Season 5

Redux

Redux II

Christmas Carol (book only)

Emily (book only)

Patient X

The Red and the Black

The End

Season 6

The Beginning

S.R. 819

Two Fathers

One Son

Biogenesis

Season 7

The Sixth Extinction

The Sixth Extinction II: Amor Fati

Sein Und Zeit

Closure (DVD only)

En Ami

Requiem (DVD only)

Season 8

Within

Without

Per Manum

The Gift (book only)

This Is Not Happening

DeadAlive

Three Words

Vienen

Essence

Existence

Season 9

Nothing Important Happened Today

Nothing Important Happened Today II

Trust No 1

Provenance

Providence (DVD only)

Jump the Shark (book only)

William

The Truth

...hmmm, this list mentions other episodes as the mythology/conspiracy episodes

http://www.insidethex.co.uk/

Gotta have the story arc episodes. Gotta have the standalone monster-of-the-week episodes. Given that the new stuff is only a 6 episode run, they have to devote at least 2 episodes to arc, and I'd guess it'll be more like 3-4. Which still leaves 2 or 3 monster-of-the-week shows. Not a bad balance at all, if it works out like that.

Chris Carter is going to put a lot of effort into it all, he has to make this work; his other shit has been bombing pretty consistently for years, and I'm sure he needs some cash. I haven't seen if he's bringing in much other writing/directing talent, as that was most often when the show shined.

New issue of sfx has an episode guide and a Duchovny interview. Will read it later.

Sweet! After seeing your post, I read the interview online, and it's all right. Here's a copy-paste:

X-Files Is Back!

Anatoly Kustoff talks with David Duchovny about the upcoming season of The X-Files

Kustoff: So hello Mister Mulder, a.k.a. David Duchovny. I hope all well. So- what does your name "Duchovny" mean?

Duchovny: It's Russian for "Spiritual". My family's originally from Eastern Europe.

Kustoff: Nice, which I guess mean... you "want to believe", am I correct? (laughs) So how been, and also what new X-Files has for the viewers at home?

Duchovny: I've been relaxing as usual (laughs). The new X-Files is really exciting, and the 6 episodes are something I think the fans are really going to enjoy.

Kustoff: Yes, but so speaking of new X-File-- Why you no longer doing Season 3 of X-File, which was my favorite seasons.

Duchovny: ...Why are we not filming Season 3 anymore?

Kustoff: Yes.

Duchovny: Because we're far past that.

Kustoff: Yes, but why..... If you stay Season 3, then you still not know all truth, so make easy for sex Scully all night long, as aliens no bother you no more, per se. Is this true that I heard?

Duchovny: ...Yes. Yes, it is.

Gonna have to disagree. They generally didn't handle the story arcs between episodes well imo. The one off weirdo ones were my faves.

It's been said before, but if you cut off watching the mythology episodes at the end of season 7, it's pretty tolerable. Not completely coherent or satisfying, but not horrible.

Attempts beyond that point to clear up (the many) loose ends are hugely frustrating.

The story arc was the quintessential experience of viewing the x-files. It could also be said to have been foundational in the creation of a lot of conspiracy theory before the web came around.

I will grant that after season 7 the arc devolved greatly, and I imagine nostalgia tints my memory, but that was some of the best tv ever produced.

yes they did in an episode called 'jump the shark' (this was after the miraculously extremely prescient prediction of 9/11)

chris carter

We were really upset, and worried that somehow we had inspired the plot. But we were relieved to discover that the plot pre-dated The Lone Gunmen, and that 9/11 had nothing to do with our work. And then once we realized that, my next thought was how the government hadn't known about this plot. There have been a lot of conspiracy theories about the connection between 9/11 and The Lone Gunman, but none of them are true.

Shit, Tom Clancy predates that by almost a decade when he has a Japanese pilot fly a 747 into the U.S. Capitol building.

Californification always felt like a quasi ripoff of Dream On but not as clever to me. Definitely trying to be more naturalistic, but not many of those sexy bachelor shows work for me. In fact I can't think of a single one that did besides Dream On

Lone gunmen are set to appear in the reboot. Didn't they like die in one of the seasons toward the end?

Sweeet... So cool, man. With Lone Gunmen on board, maybe X-Files can get its mojo back. I can..... I can feel it.

Guest bitroast

New issue of sfx has an episode guide and a Duchovny interview. Will read it later.

Sweet! After seeing your post, I read the interview online, and it's all right. Here's a copy-paste:

X-Files Is Back!

Anatoly Kustoff talks with David Duchovny about the upcoming season of The X-Files

Kustoff: So hello Mister Mulder, a.k.a. David Duchovny. I hope all well. So- what does your name "Duchovny" mean?

Duchovny: It's Russian for "Spiritual". My family's originally from Eastern Europe.

Kustoff: Nice, which I guess mean... you "want to believe", am I correct? (laughs) So how been, and also what new X-Files has for the viewers at home?

Duchovny: I've been relaxing as usual (laughs). The new X-Files is really exciting, and the 6 episodes are something I think the fans are really going to enjoy.

Kustoff: Yes, but so speaking of new X-File-- Why you no longer doing Season 3 of X-File, which was my favorite seasons.

Duchovny: ...Why are we not filming Season 3 anymore?

Kustoff: Yes.

Duchovny: Because we're far past that.

Kustoff: Yes, but why..... If you stay Season 3, then you still not know all truth, so make easy for sex Scully all night long, as aliens no bother you no more, per se. Is this true that I heard?

Duchovny: ...Yes. Yes, it is.

hahaha. Its true. They should keep doing season 3 - was clearly the best one.

Smoking man was a fun troll. When he got Mulder all worked up, though, things tended to get kind of sloppy.

I've been slowly going back through all the episodes and I think I missed most of the later seasons. I actually like 7 a lot more than I remembered. The thing that annoys me now are the multi-episode alien stories, which thankfully seem to thin out later. Those feel like more like a grind through Mulder's annoying obsessions than entertainment.

Last night I saw that episode Scully directed with that terrible Moby song, though. Holy fuck, I hope it redeems itself after that.

Gotta have the story arc episodes. Gotta have the standalone monster-of-the-week episodes. Given that the new stuff is only a 6 episode run, they have to devote at least 2 episodes to arc, and I'd guess it'll be more like 3-4. Which still leaves 2 or 3 monster-of-the-week shows. Not a bad balance at all, if it works out like that.

Chris Carter is going to put a lot of effort into it all, he has to make this work; his other shit has been bombing pretty consistently for years, and I'm sure he needs some cash. I haven't seen if he's bringing in much other writing/directing talent, as that was most often when the show shined.

What's his other shit?

Archived